SP2 causes a delay and the "explorer" restart

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello
A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my desktop.
This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the delay.
How to make SP2 work successfully?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi, Dmitriy.

This doesn't happen on most computers, so what is different about yours?
Please tell us the make and model of your computer, or of your
motherboard/CPU/chipset if you built it yourself. Are you running the
latest available BIOS for it? Which version of WinXP are you running: Home
Edition, Professional, Media Center?

Is this happening with every file, or just one in particular? What
application is it trying to run? You said "for a minute"; is this a figure
of speech or is the delay really a full 60 seconds?

In my AMD Athlon 64 system, trying to run Windows Explorer (or any of
several other system programs) resulted in a pop-up box saying that DEP
(Data Execution Prevention) was stopping the program from running. A tweak
to C:\boot.ini fixed this for me.

Perhaps the problem is not really with SP2, but SP2 exposes a
previously-hidden weakness in your system.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> Hello
> A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my
> desktop.
> This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the
> delay.
> How to make SP2 work successfully?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:00:34 +0400, "Dmitriy Kopnichev"
<kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:

>A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my desktop.
>This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the delay.
>How to make SP2 work successfully?

Dmitriy,

this may be caused by some codec that's not quite working as it
should be.

In some similar cases the Windows Explorer even crashes. In that
case a program named Dr DivX is the culprit, more precisely a
certain DLL that it installs, but since yours doesn't crash, it
may be a similar, but still different case.

Do you have any special video or sound compression codecs
installed?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Yes. My Windows Explorer crashes too. Dr DivX 1.0.5 is installed.
This problem does not happen on my other Windows XP Pro SP2 with Dr DivX
1.0.5 installed.
"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:00:34 +0400, "Dmitriy Kopnichev"
> <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
>
> >A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my
desktop.
> >This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the
delay.
> >How to make SP2 work successfully?
>
> Dmitriy,
>
> this may be caused by some codec that's not quite working as it
> should be.
>
> In some similar cases the Windows Explorer even crashes. In that
> case a program named Dr DivX is the culprit, more precisely a
> certain DLL that it installs, but since yours doesn't crash, it
> may be a similar, but still different case.
>
> Do you have any special video or sound compression codecs
> installed?
>
> Hans-Georg
>
> --
> No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi
Motherboard-Chaintech 6btm. CPU-Pentium 3-750 Slot 1. Yes, I'm running the
latest available BIOS for it. Version of WinXP is Professional. This is
happening with every file. The delay is about 60 seconds, then Windows
Explorer crashes. I'm not trying to run an application.
"R. C. White" <RCWhite@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Dmitriy.
>
> This doesn't happen on most computers, so what is different about yours?
> Please tell us the make and model of your computer, or of your
> motherboard/CPU/chipset if you built it yourself. Are you running the
> latest available BIOS for it? Which version of WinXP are you running:
> Edition, Professional, Media Center?
>
> Is this happening with every file, or just one in particular? What
> application is it trying to run? You said "for a minute"; is this a
figure
> of speech or is the delay really a full 60 seconds?
>
> In my AMD Athlon 64 system, trying to run Windows Explorer (or any of
> several other system programs) resulted in a pop-up box saying that DEP
> (Data Execution Prevention) was stopping the program from running. A
tweak
> to C:\boot.ini fixed this for me.
>
> Perhaps the problem is not really with SP2, but SP2 exposes a
> previously-hidden weakness in your system.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my
> > desktop.
> > This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the
> > delay.
> > How to make SP2 work successfully?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thanks! Uninstalling Dr DivX helped.
"Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:00:34 +0400, "Dmitriy Kopnichev"
> <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
>
>>A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my
>>desktop.
>>This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the
>>delay.
>>How to make SP2 work successfully?
>
> Dmitriy,
>
> this may be caused by some codec that's not quite working as it
> should be.
>
> In some similar cases the Windows Explorer even crashes. In that
> case a program named Dr DivX is the culprit, more precisely a
> certain DLL that it installs, but since yours doesn't crash, it
> may be a similar, but still different case.
>
> Do you have any special video or sound compression codecs
> installed?
>
> Hans-Georg
>
> --
> No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:31:48 +0400, "Dmitriy Kopnichev"
<kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:

>Thanks! Uninstalling Dr DivX helped.

Dmitriy,

that's good to hear. Now I'd be very curious why Dr DivX didn't
cause the same problem on the other computer. Perhaps we'll
never find out.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Get Dr. Divx 1.06 beta from http://www.divxlabs.com/

It should fix the problems that Dr. Divx 1.05 has with Windows XP SP2.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

> Yes. My Windows Explorer crashes too. Dr DivX 1.0.5 is installed.
> This problem does not happen on my other Windows XP Pro SP2 with Dr DivX
> 1.0.5 installed.
> "Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:00:34 +0400, "Dmitriy Kopnichev"
>> <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
>>
>> >A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my
> desktop.
>> >This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the
> delay.
>> >How to make SP2 work successfully?
>>
>> Dmitriy,
>>
>> this may be caused by some codec that's not quite working as it
>> should be.
>>
>> In some similar cases the Windows Explorer even crashes. In that
>> case a program named Dr DivX is the culprit, more precisely a
>> certain DLL that it installs, but since yours doesn't crash, it
>> may be a similar, but still different case.
>>
>> Do you have any special video or sound compression codecs
>> installed?
>>
>> Hans-Georg
>>
>> --
>> No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thanks.
"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> Get Dr. Divx 1.06 beta from http://www.divxlabs.com/
>
> It should fix the problems that Dr. Divx 1.05 has with Windows XP SP2.
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> Yes. My Windows Explorer crashes too. Dr DivX 1.0.5 is installed.
>> This problem does not happen on my other Windows XP Pro SP2 with Dr DivX
>> 1.0.5 installed.
>> "Hans-Georg Michna" <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote in message

>> desktop.
>> delay.
>>>
>>> Dmitriy,
>>>
>>> this may be caused by some codec that's not quite working as it
>>> should be.
>>>
>>> In some similar cases the Windows Explorer even crashes. In that
>>> case a program named Dr DivX is the culprit, more precisely a
>>> certain DLL that it installs, but since yours doesn't crash, it
>>> may be a similar, but still different case.
>>>
>>> Do you have any special video or sound compression codecs
>>> installed?
>>>
>>> Hans-Georg
>>>
>>> --
>>> No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Dr DivX began to crash itself at startup on the second WinXP SP2.
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:31:48 +0400, "Dmitriy Kopnichev"
> <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
>
>>Thanks! Uninstalling Dr DivX helped.
>
> Dmitriy,
>
> that's good to hear. Now I'd be very curious why Dr DivX didn't
> cause the same problem on the other computer. Perhaps we'll
> never find out.
>
> Hans-Georg
>
> --
> No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi, Dmitriy.

I've never had a Chaintech mobo, so I can't speak from experience on this
one. There is a Usenet newsgroup named
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech; you might want to check with other
Chaintech users there.

The P3-750 should be adequate, though not a screamer these days. I should
have asked how much RAM your computer has; this often has more impact on
performance than CPU speed.

Please define "crashes", as in "Windows Explorer crashes". Does your
computer reboot? Or Explorer simply closes, leaving you back at the
desktop? Do you get an error message? What does it say? Your Subject line
says "and the 'explorer' restart". "Crashes" is a handy term to use
colloquially, but it is practically worthless as a diagnostic tool. :>(

Again, since others are not reporting this kind of problem, we need to
figure out what is different about your computer. If other readers know
anything about this, please chime in with whatever information you can give.

RC
--

> Hi
> Motherboard-Chaintech 6btm. CPU-Pentium 3-750 Slot 1. Yes, I'm running the
> latest available BIOS for it. Version of WinXP is Professional. This is
> happening with every file. The delay is about 60 seconds, then Windows
> Explorer crashes. I'm not trying to run an application.
> "R. C. White" <RCWhite@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, Dmitriy.
>>
>> This doesn't happen on most computers, so what is different about yours?
>> Please tell us the make and model of your computer, or of your
>> motherboard/CPU/chipset if you built it yourself. Are you running the
>> latest available BIOS for it? Which version of WinXP are you running:
>> Edition, Professional, Media Center?
>>
>> Is this happening with every file, or just one in particular? What
>> application is it trying to run? You said "for a minute"; is this a
> figure
>> of speech or is the delay really a full 60 seconds?
>>
>> In my AMD Athlon 64 system, trying to run Windows Explorer (or any of
>> several other system programs) resulted in a pop-up box saying that DEP
>> (Data Execution Prevention) was stopping the program from running. A
> tweak
>> to C:\boot.ini fixed this for me.
>>
>> Perhaps the problem is not really with SP2, but SP2 exposes a
>> previously-hidden weakness in your system.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> > A sand-glass appears for a minute after right-clicking a file on my
>> > desktop.
>> > This happened after installing SP2. Uninstalling the SP2 resolved the
>> > delay.
>> > How to make SP2 work successfully?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:07:26 +0400, "Dmitriy Kopnichev"
<kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:

>Dr DivX began to crash itself at startup on the second WinXP SP2.

Dmitriy,

ah, thanks. That fits current knowledge.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Uninstalling Dr DivX 1.0.5 resolved the error.