Mounting partitions on the HD QUESTION

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, i have 2 hard drives, combined 240 gigs(most of it is unused), but my C drive has only 7.7 gigs (I can not change it, the Sony oem windows instalation forces it to be that way, and I am unable to extend the partition, atleast not in the past), im begining to go below 900mb on it , even thou i minimized the restor point allocated space down to the lowest 200mb's ammount.

I heard that it is possible to mount files or the drive(i read some windows help files, but got a bit confused there) onto anotehr NTFS partition, in order to save (for instance temporary) files there, so the C drive would not be filled out, at present i am unable to even install biger programs on the hd, because during the instalations the c drive's temproary folder beginns to be filled up with the msi files, i cleande all possible back ups and restore points to bet a bit of space but still i only got was less than 1 gig, even thou i install all programs on other partitions.

Iplayed a bit with the control panel disk manager, but all i get is another patition that creates some sort of a image like backup of the c drive on the new partition....and thats it :(

Would someone please help me out a bit with this problem?
Thank You for any help.

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
illuminatirex :)

You didn't mention your OS, so I'll assume Win2k/XP ... go Start/Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disk Drives and check how you are configured. For the two drives, the one with a 7.7GB partition (DISK 0) labeled C:, verify the balance of that drive's total size is allocated as E: (make sure you format the sucker) The second HD (DISK 1), if it was installed prior to the initial OS install should appear as D: (make sure that sucker is formatted also). Once configured as above, all you need to do is drag 'n drop stuff from C: to D: or E: Any installed programs, except the OS which you can't move, you have on C: could be moved to another HD with the proper tool. The simplest and easiest thing for you to do is leave whatever code (programs) installed on C: there where they are, and simply "repoint" the program to store it's data files on one of the other partitions. This way your "base" C: freespace won't be consumed with data.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
To move your Temp directory to another drive, do the following:

Control Panel - select System
Click Advanced tab
Click Environment Variables button

You should have 2 user variables and lots of system variables.

Create a new folder called Temp on another drive (for this example, I'm gonna use F: Temp)
Change (edit) the 2 user variables TEMP and TMP and change the value to F: Temp
Change (edit) the 2 system variables TEMP and TMP and change the value to F: Temp

After rebooting the system, you can delete all files within the following folders:
C: Windows Temp
C: Documents and Settings <your user name> Local Settings Temp

However, this will only help with the temp files. There are other default folders you can move. I suggest getting Windows PowerToys TweakUI, and looking under the section My Computer -> Special Folders. Move whatever you can to different drives.

Edit: I've assumed your using WinXP
Edit2: My slashes (back/forward - can never remember) don't seem to show up for some reason - replaced with spaces

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
illuminatirex :)

After posting my first reply, I re-read your original post ... you really are a dyed-in-the-wool newbie Dude :D Don't worry, that's not meant to be derogatory, just what's so :D Remember, everyone on this forum was once a newbie themselves.

So, ya' can't even install new progs on your system because of an error msg about ?? FIRST, did you not happen to notice the Install option of just where you want to install when you first fired up the initial install? You don't "have to" accept the default C: install location. As for Temp files, you can locate them where ever you want (provided you've followed the instructions in my first reply).

You may want to "lurk" and "learn" on the software forum.
Good luck :D

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol i know i can install them wherever i want lol i have 2 hd one has 2 partitions for games and alike softwware, the other for just plain storage

the other hd which had the c drive is the one which has windows (XP home edition) installed on it, (it has only 7 gigs total which to be honest i could not find,(tracing and summing up the sizes, thats rather odd, there is one folder in the temp i think that is 2 gigs big, but when i check the size of all files in it , including the hiden ystem ones it is not even 10 mb big ) i use drive D for instalation of any other programs , and i have one more partition which i use for downloaded updates, archives, video editing, small internet aps, and other such things. I always try to install everything not in c tdrive, but when i click on a instalation exe (they usually store some msi. instalation data on the c drive in temps it takes a lot of space, which is veird once i had 1.5 gig of space on c when i was instaling a game for my cousin (the game/demo only uneeded 620 mbs) and i t run down to 0 mb on drive c, and i do not even have my virtual memory on that drive (but on others).....i havent checked the entire 3rd post, just got in home sorry about it ill read it now. thx for the info

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
woudl it be ok to use another partition on the same phisical drive? i have unalocated 80 gigs which i just made a new partition from, would that be suitable? thx

actualy the place where all my instalation temps go is to documents and setings/name/local setings/temp/and there it creates a new file which is always deleted after instalations, or remains there if a instalation crashes, and i have to manualy remove it from there, afterwards.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
im interested only in moving the documents and setings Temp would i need to change both values (that is both in the user and system variables)?
Thank You

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
woudl it be ok to use another partition on the same phisical drive? i have unalocated 80 gigs which i just made a new partition from, would that be suitable? thx
Yes - that would be fine

im interested only in moving the documents and setings Temp would i need to change both values (that is both in the user and system variables)?
Just the User variables for that then.