Computer wont start, wierd colours

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
hello all. i ran into a wierd problem with my pc the other day.. i turned it off and when i went to start it up in the morning it didnt start..... the bois loads then when it goes to where the windows screen usually is ( i disabled it ) i just get a bunch of wierd colours in little pixles at the top of the screen and it stays there. ill post a video to show.

Since it doesn't restart in safe mode, it's very likely the graphics driver. Windows uses the default display driver in safe mode.

However, the odd colors that your seeing in the BIOS boot screen, could signify some hardware defects, because it hasn't loaded your display driver at that point.

Jakeman97

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Hi Lindsey,
Checked your specs and because you are using ATI Graphics, I have to ask....You didn't allow 'Windows Update' to update your ATI Graphics did you? If you did the drivers are most likely borked and will have to be reinstalled. Don't ever let 'Windows Update' your ATI Drivers.
Go to the XFX Website and get the latest drivers for your card and operating system http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx If you don't know how to install ATI drivers get the Install guide as they can be tricky and you have to uninsall the old ones first.

Nice looking rig you have. First thing is unplug the power to the PSU and turn the PSU power switch off and then depress the start button for about ten seconds to discarge any residual charge in the PSU.
Then remove the 5770 and re-seat the card and then be sure the 6-pin connector from your PSU to the 5770 GPU is tight and hasn't been disconnected. Then plug in your PSU and don't forget to turn the switch back on.
Post back when your done.