my New build up in smoke....!!!

MacD91

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
well i just spent about $3000 on a new build was waiting for over 1 month for all the parts to come--!! and on saturday morning they all came.. woo hoo i thought. 6 hours later after building it..!! it was time to start my new beast of as asskicker off a pc..!! and nothing.... pushed the power button again ...nothing.. the i could smell burning... electrical smell... "O" no i thought, maybe i put the wrong case cables in the wrong pins... so i take the side pannel of and.!! start it up again , this time i took out all the case cables.. just in case..!! and then i see a spark coming from the MOB the pc never even started up.. the fans started for 2 seconds then stopped .. !!! :cry: anyway i have to send it back and i,m worried that it was something i have done..!! and i will have too pay.:!!! mmmm "O" No..... """ yes it was my first build and i,m sure everything like the ram and gpu was on correct i could see small burning makes on the circurts on the mob near pci port where my Gpu is. is it possible i`ve mucked up the whole pc or maybe just the MOB..!!

JLHedges

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
From past experience and what you're saying, sounds to me like your vid card might not have been fully seated. When you turned it on the first time, how many beeps did you hear? Were there long and short beeps, just one short beep, or no beeps at all? The spark you saw, do you think it came from around the PCI-E slot?

This happened to me once with a VLB vid card (1995). I hadn't fully seated the card (there were three slots you had to fit). The machine came up, beeped a couple of times, shut off. Second time, no beeps, I heard a pffft sound, smelled electricity. Fried the mobo and vid card. Luckily, everything else was fine.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Sounds to me like either your mobo grounded out on the case because you didnt install it on the standoffs correctly or you plugged in a card with the power supply switched to on. Im afraid you will be paying for the labor repairs and any parts. :wink:

MacD91

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
...i did not hear and beeps but the led light on the MOB was on..!!

If the LED was on, then that indicates there is still power going to that motherboard. Never unplug or plug anything while that LED is still on...

MacD91

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
no i never unplugged anything when the power was on... i just seen the the led light was on when the power was turned on as nothing else happened.. i tool out some of the case leads after the power was off then turned it back on to see if it made any diffrence...when i tried it on the second time the fan started up for about 1 sec.then stopped .!! so i turned it all off, packed it into its box and ready to send it back tomorrow ..i,m not touching anything now..!! but by putting in the wrong case cables into the wrong pins..!! as some of them are not labeled from the cace to the mother board...could that cause the curcit failure.. !! of what ever it is--! that the only thing i might have done wrong that i can think off...