Need advice on wireless bridges.

Tags:
  • NICs
  • Wireless
  • LAN
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 3, 2006 12:42:24 AM

OK, here's the situation. My house is split into three areas, the main house, a back yard, and then at the back of the yard, a large room that I use to host LAN parties. Inside the house, we have a wireles network with an ADSL2 connecton, and that network is easily accessible from the back room.

Now, I'm looking for something that I can use, that will allow everybody at the LAN to access our broadband. At first I thought of just getting a wireless card, and they could go through my computer, but then someone suggested a wireless bridge, to plug into the switch we're all connected to.

So, I'm looking for what kind of bridge I should be looking at, as there's so much different wireless equipment, it's easy to get confused.

More about : advice wireless bridges

April 3, 2006 4:34:47 PM

Go with something like the LINKSYS WET54G 54Mbps Wireless Ethernet Bridge.

Like any network device you must understand how to configure all the parts for it to work but Linksys comes setup disks that make the process a simple one. Connect these wirelessly to Linksys access points and have no problem getting the terminals attached to pickup an IP address from the DHCP server on the wired network.

I have used these wireless bridges in to connect printers and terminals to my network. They work great. I connect a Linksys 5 port switch to the bridge and then connect up to three devices to use the wireless bridge to reach the wired network.
April 4, 2006 5:46:50 PM

LINKSYS WET54G

Have installed several of these, unless you ant to go to yagi antennas and such these things do very well.
Related resources
April 5, 2006 5:59:13 PM

Quote:
I connect a Linksys 5 port switch to the bridge and then connect up to three devices to use the wireless bridge to reach the wired network.

I just setup the same thing in my house this weekend, and mine is working great also. I do have a question, though. Does anyone know the difference between the v2 and v3 models of the WET 54G? Amazon sent me the v2 model, but I know there is a v3 model available. Is it worth returning and requesting the newer model, especially when my current setup seems to be working fine so far? My networking requirements are very simple and I'm not going to be doing anything network intensive (no gaming or major web hosting).

Thanks!
Jay
April 6, 2006 12:25:35 AM

Cool, thanks. I think the rest of our wireless gear (router/modem) is linksys as well.
!