Microsoft Announces JavaScript Rival TypeScript

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
"Microsoft Announces JavaScript Rival TypeScript"

Rival? really?

Type Script is build on top of, and compiles to Javascript, while also being a strict superset of javacript.
I fail to see how the two rival each other when TypeScript cannot exist without javascript...

xcaninox

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
it's not a rival, as cryogenic noted it was built on top of Javascript therefore it is like an extension or an evolution, not exactly a rival, Microsoft can claim what ever they won't but that doesn't change the facts.

Fire-Dragon-DoL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

That's stupid to say, note that something similar to typescript (which is basically the same as javascript except that you can specify variable types) is already implemented in Unity (the game engine).

There is Coffee which does the same too.

It's just another scripting language to help people writing javascript without being mad.

fearless1333

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
So first MS makes C# as a rival to Java and now it makes TypeScript as a rival to JavaScript? MS must have an inbred hatred for the word "Java."

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
At least they are making it open source. MS seems to have finally learned that open source is not evil incarnate. However they have an uphill climb getting the community to accept this as a sincere effort. MS has a long track record of sabotaging standards.

G

Yes, Microsoft has had a way, with its Visual Studio IDE of leading (with a ring through the nose and thin leather strap) its user in a push you pull me sort of way. Pushing through .net then pulling to WPF, and then on to windows RT, windows has side triped through J#, C#, and a few WEB Soup de jures! C++ unmanaged code, managed code, forms apps, wpf apps, ending with no more windows forms apps, and WPF apps pushed to windows RT apps! And now TypeScript in the front, pushing javacript out the back! I wonder where M$ will lead us to now. with this "friendly offering" designed to pull the developer further towards the M$ dinner plate.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
"TypeScript is compiled into Javascript to ensure compatibility." Ha! Yet another code JS generator...

Making large JavaScript applications is not a matter of language but a matter of skills. There is no such thing as a "better" programming language to replace experience.

I can't tell the future and I can't tell if typeScript will be widely adopted or not, but I do know JScript and vbScript weren't.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Yet another programming language to learn. After reading several For Dummies books on different programming languages, i'm starting to feel like one.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
As I read this I started to think that the fanbois will have a field day, "leave teh Java alone!!!" and "you just want a monolpoly" or "I won't use Typescript because it doesn't have a Start menu, lulz!!!"
Until I got to the bit where it said
Microsoft is making the new language open-source
OK so they spent good money improving something and now they are giving to the world for free, so all the haters please just STFU

saille

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
"Microsoft's latest answer to JavaScript ..."?

Get your facts right, Typescript is far more accurately described as MS's answer to CoffeeScript, not JavaScript because it compiles down to JavaScript. VBScript was their 1990's answer to JavaScript, but with today's MS more hip ;) and open MS there's no question JavaScript is a first class citizen for a MS developer - and I am being serious - they are not trying to hide the ugly parts away - TypeScript is a thin layer of static typing that can optionally be added as metadata over any existing JavaScript code to enable a more productive developer experience. And its open source.

Flowpoint

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Typescript is really JS2 (ECMAScrip 6) that you can use already today. It translates (you can't even call this compilation for the most part) into idiomatic JS, where modules and classes (if you use them) are implemented in the JS intended way (closures and prototypes). Most of the time you will even get the same amount of lines of JS as you have in the TS. If you want to see a rival to JS - look at Dart. Now that aims to replace JS (the current DART => JS compilation option simply produces a virtual machine that runs on top of browser JS, 500+ lines of JS code even for a 15 line program in Dart).

I didn't think I would ever say this - but Microsoft created an open source language for the Web that is done right, while Google is creating a new Flash (well, guess there is an evil stage every big corporation has to grow through). My team is using it in production of our banking web apps - and so far we have only good things to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS