Sign in with
Your question

Build me a high-end PC

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2006 10:50:34 AM

Heya guys. For the past two years i have stopped following the hardware market so right now i am a bit confused. I ran into money lately and i want to build a brand new spanking high end gaming computer :D  (notice all those "nasty" words, hehe).

I was thinking of going with the P4 Extreme Edition but i now saw that the Athlon 64 FX 57 or Athlon 64 X2 4800 does better in games so i think i will go with that one :) 

So from what i know i was thinking of going with:

1. Athlon 64 FX 57 or Athlon 64 X2 4800
2. Geforce 7900 GTX (Asus EN7900GTX/2DHT)
3. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4

Now my problem is the motherboard. I want a good reliable motherboard that also has 2 IDE slots because i have 2x200 GB HDD with alot of crap on them that i don't want to lose.
Also it would be very nice if the mobo has incorporated LAN on it.
I also want a new case for my PC because the one i have is just too small and i can barely move components in it. I don't want one of them big towers neither but somewhat a happy medium ;) 

As for memory i don't know with what to go :( . I currently have 1Gb of DDR 400mhz. Should i go with a higher frequency or should i stick with 400mhz?

Note: I appreciate it if you guys give me examples of stuff to buy from companies that sell in Europe. I for one like Asus and have plenty of nice experience with Asus but i searched their site and couldn't find a motherboard that fits my "needs".

Questions:
-Should i go with an all PCIe motherboard or should i also have some PCI slots?
-Should my soundcard be on PCIe or PCI ?
-Right now i have a 550watt power source, do i need a more powerful one?

More about : build high end

April 3, 2006 11:23:18 AM

maybe this can do

A DFI DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 Venus SLI :D  :D  :D 
it might be expensive but according to ur topic, "a high end PC"
here's a review http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3380
April 3, 2006 11:49:33 AM

Questions:

Both... most boards only have 2 or less some have 4. Pci is still used for most other add-on cards :) 
PCI

Depends if you want sli... And if your power supply isnt SLI comp. Than you should buy a new one...
Related resources
April 3, 2006 12:19:41 PM

What's your budget? That piece of information would be very useful.
April 3, 2006 1:15:46 PM

well, if your an overclocker, low latency memory timings is the one for you or how about corsairs running in DDR500 (when RAM frequency raises, latency timings grows up too which is very irritating specially on DDR2 modules DDR has a CL2 while a DDR has a CL4 and CL3 is the lowest)

BTW, what is the brand and timings of ur DDR400 RAM?
April 3, 2006 1:41:23 PM

Theres no way anybody can recommend a high end system without knowing your budget dude. A high end pc could be anywhere from $1500 to $10,000 depending on what your planning on doing with it.
April 3, 2006 2:35:26 PM

Quote:
DDR2 has arrived ...

new OCZ PC2-8000 "XTC" 2 GB kit:
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2732

Yea, I read that last night. Another little step up a very large staircase, but any step up is welcome. OCZ thrown first and I'm sure others will soon follow.
April 3, 2006 5:03:12 PM

The money is around 2000-2500 Euros.... so that's somewhat more in dollars.

No, i won't do SLI as of yet.

Ain't an overclocker.

HDD will be upgraded in due time. I first want to upgrade everything else besides dvd-rom and hdd.
April 3, 2006 5:03:58 PM

Quote:
maybe this can do

Does that sell in Europe?
April 3, 2006 5:05:28 PM

Quote:

BTW, what is the brand and timings of ur DDR400 RAM?

Can't remember anymore. They are so old i forgot :( 
Haven't made an hardware upgrade for the past 3 years except dvd-rom and hdd.
April 4, 2006 12:28:00 AM

I dunno, but other DFI boards are great too, all DFI boards under the LANPARTY series are great and they OC well and the BIOS is filled up with dozens of options from RAM to CPU even PCI-E options. This DFIs are nice too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

the VENUS is made with almost all high quality Japanese capacitors while this ones are mix ups of Japanese and Chinese Capacitors.
April 4, 2006 1:47:40 AM

Ok so what about this system?

CPU: Athlon 64 FX 57
Mobo:A DFI DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 Venus SLI
Graphics: Asus EN7900GTX/2DHT
Sound: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Memory: 2 GB of... DDR 400?
Case: Thermaltake ArmorJr (silver)
CPU Cooler: Do i need a separate cooler or does the cpu come with one?

I don't really want to go for overclocking.
April 4, 2006 2:22:09 AM

Quote:
maybe this can do

that is one Sexy board

to bad its yellow =0
April 4, 2006 3:30:44 AM

it might yellow but it will look awesome when you turn on those UV light on ur case!! :D  :D 
April 4, 2006 9:53:35 AM

Is this card, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, good for gaming? I always used Audigy because they were cheaper but by what the creative site says i should go with this?

Cooler: Is this one good enough for the CPU, Thermaltake Blue Orb II? (for the time beeing i don't want to overclock anything).
April 4, 2006 10:27:24 AM

the fan will come with the cpu, but it is always better to by a heatseink and fan, they cool much better than a stock heatsink and fan
April 4, 2006 11:21:42 AM

Question:
Is this card, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, good for gaming? I always used Audigy because they were cheaper but by what the creative site says i should go with this?

My opinion:
Overkill, a Soundblaster Audigiy 2 ZS can do but if u want the X-Fi line-up, get the Xtreme Music instead and u'll save more than 100 bucks
April 4, 2006 2:16:29 PM

Quote:
Question:

My opinion:
Overkill, a Soundblaster Audigiy 2 ZS can do but if u want the X-Fi line-up, get the Xtreme Music instead and u'll save more than 100 bucks

I have Audigy 2 but there is something wrong with my sound in the games and drivers don't fix it.

Was thinking of going for either Audigy 4 or the X-Fi.
April 4, 2006 2:57:32 PM

Quote:
The money is around 2000-2500 Euros.... so that's somewhat more in dollars.

No, i won't do SLI as of yet.

Ain't an overclocker.

HDD will be upgraded in due time. I first want to upgrade everything else besides dvd-rom and hdd.

CPU - Opteron 175 or X2 4800
MB - MSI K8N or DFI LanParty
RAM 2GB DDR
GeForce 7900 GTX
Antec P180

Thsi is less than $2000, but check out newegg.com
April 4, 2006 3:02:29 PM

Quote:
the fan will come with the cpu, but it is always better to by a heatseink and fan, they cool much better than a stock heatsink and fan

That used to be true. Now AMD stock coolers are some of the best, especially if you don't OC.
April 4, 2006 3:07:51 PM

if i were you i would definitly go with an AMD processor. The athlon FX and X2 series are great for gaming but if you want extreme performance go with the Opteron. the opteron is the best processor around.a single-core opteron with a dual processor motherboard will be gr8t for a gaming system. make sure you get SLI or crossfire so you can add another graphics card in the future. Get a Geforce 7900GT/X card for best performance with the opteron
April 4, 2006 5:51:07 PM

Really, Opteron is better in gaming?

Well... guess i have to "redo" my list.

Btw, are there any tests of Opteron 175 against FX 57? I cannot find any benchmarks so that i can check it for myself ;) 
April 5, 2006 11:12:41 AM

Does anyone have any head-to-head benchmarks between Opteron and Fx 57? Would really appreciate it.

I went ahead and ordered the motherboard (DFI Lanparty Venus one), the graphics card (Asus 7900gtx), the cooler (thermaltake blue orb II) and 2GB of DDR400 Corsair XMS Pro (or how it's called).

Haven't decided yet on the case, soundcard and CPU.

Although for the soundcard i might go with the Fatal1ty, i understood it's overkill but since i can afford it right now i don't see why i shouldn't go with it.
April 6, 2006 5:42:35 PM

By all means, stay away from the Athlon FX. It is way too expensive for its performance. Yes, it is a bit more powerful than the X2, but not enough for its price. If you really HAVE to spend that money, invest it in better speakers.
Even the X2 doesn't really make the difference for the money. Right now, the regular Athlon 64 is really the best price/performance wise... but if you want to spend hundreds on +1-5fps in games, its your choice.

It is probable that if you really want to spend a ludicrous amount of money on "having the best processor that exists", the Opteron is a better choice than the FX.

You should also consider switching to a Radeon X1900XT (not XTX) instead of the 7900GTX. The almost non-existent boost in performance you might sometimes get with the 7900GTX will never justify its absurd price. Also, the X1900XT supports simultaneous HDR and AA, while the 7900GTX doesn't.
April 6, 2006 7:40:52 PM

I'm not an nVidia fanboy by any means (they're just my preferred GPU at the moment), but I fail to see the point of having both HDR and AA enabled at the same time. AA really only has an effect on visuals at low resolutions, and if you have a decent card I highly doubt that you would run apps at a low resolution. Plus, the 7900GT is much cheaper than the equivalent 7900 GTX and the equivalent Radeon(s), and it overclocks much better.

Besides, who has time to enjoy both HDR and AA at the same time while on the run from an assault rifle or rocket launcher?

PS: The HDR/AA problem could be fixed by a driver or BIOS update, theoretically.

For the high-end price to performance ratio race, the 7900 GT is damn near impossible to beat.
April 6, 2006 7:54:00 PM

Quote:
For the high-end price to performance ratio race, the 7900 GT is damn near impossible to beat.
While the X1900XT is a better deal than the 7900GTX, the 7900GT is certainly a better deal than the X1900XT. I couldn't agree more. Yes, you're not getting the BEST card there is, but you could hardly tell the difference and save a couple hundreds.

The reason I reccomended the X1900XT is that I was trying to stay in the same segment: top-of-the-line cards. The 7900GT falls just before that. But if you're willing to sacrifice the psychological satisfaction of having one of the absolute best cards out there, the 7900GT is certainly a better deal.
April 6, 2006 8:01:18 PM

1. Computer Cases

A Silver Cooler Master ATX Computer Case
B Lian Li PC-7077A Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower
C` Thermaltake Armor Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

2. Power Supplies

A PC Power & Cooling TURBO-COOL 850
B PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC

3. Motherboard

A Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
B MSI K8N Diamond Plus

4. AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo Socket 939 Processor, Dual Core

5. RAM

A CORSAIR XMS 2GB
B OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB

6. Hard Drives

A Operating System Drive: Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB
B DATA Hard Drives:
Western Digital Caviar SE16
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V300F0 300GB

7. Hard Disk Cases

A VANTEC VTX-C01-SL Hard Disk Drive Cooler
B SATA Mobile Rack: VANTEC MRK-200ST-BK EZ Swap

8. Sound Card Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

9. Card Reader AeroCool CoolPanel2-Silver Multi-Funtion Cool Panel

10. Graphic Card XFX PVT70GUDE7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3

11. TV Turner Cards:

A DVICO FusionHDTV5 Gold Plus, HDTV Tuner Card

B FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual Digital

12. PLEXTOR PX-716A/SW X TWO

13. Key Board Logitech Cordless Keyboard Mouse

14. Monitor:

A NEC LCD Monitor

B ViewSonic LCD Monitor

15 Cables:

A (ATA66/100/133) Thermaltake 24" IDE Black Round

B SATA II Cable Model SST-CP01

C CD Audio Y Cable

16 Operating Systems (Software)

A Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

B Microsoft Windows XP Professional

C Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005
April 6, 2006 9:34:50 PM

One more question: how much space do you have? Would a full-tower case be too big, or do you have the room for it?

If space is no object but you would like a lightweight case, I would suggest a Lian Li PC-7 series case. They're Full-ATX aluminum cases, so they're big but really light and sturdy. They come with 4 80mm fans, but have room for 6. There's two extra slots above the power supply cage, which is perfect if you want to add a liquid cooling system with a dual-80mm radiator.

It has plenty of room for all your parts, believe me. Or, if you felt like taking a modded route, check out FrozenCPU's line of modded cases. They actually have a couple versions of mods for this series of case, such as adding a fan bay in the top to release heat trapped in the top of the case.

It's what I'm eyeing for my build this summer.
April 10, 2006 4:55:21 AM

I am not too hot on space really so a somewhat bigger midtower then the average one would be more welcome :) 

I am going with the GTX because i never had any problems using Nvidia and i like to stick to the companies that didn't give me troubles and well, i just want top of the line :D 
April 10, 2006 5:31:41 AM

Check out Performance PC's line of moddable cases. They can take a case they have in stock, mod it for you, and give it to you. For a mid-tower, I would suggest the Lian Li PC-7B Plus II. It's a black mid-ATX case with two 120mm fans (one in the front, one in the back), a slot for an 80mm in the top (although they don't include it), and other neat features.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

They can add a window (10$), drill a fan slot in it, take out the window rivets and add black screws, drill a fan slot in the top next to the 80 already there, add sleeved cathodes for you, switches to turn them off, case handles, casters, etc. And it's pretty cheap compared to frozenCPU.com.

They also have power supplies, lighting, cables, silencing accessories, etc.

Don't pay extra for the GTX. Use Coolbits with Rivatuner to overclock the 7900 GT to GTX speeds. That's really the only difference. For a hundred dollars more, you get a faster clock speed and 512MB of VRAM, which has been proven to nothing if you don't work at really high resolutions.

Remember, it's much easier and cheaper to overclock a video card or CPU than a hard drive...spend the money you save on the video card on a physics card/SLI physics card, more RAM, or a larger or Raptor-class hard drive. Much better spent, in my opinion. The GTX just isn't worth the extra cash. $200 for 5 more FPS? I don't think so. At least wait until apps can use that 512 MB at lower resolutions.
April 10, 2006 8:15:45 PM

Quote:

Don't pay extra for the GTX. Use Coolbits with Rivatuner to overclock the 7900 GT to GTX speeds. That's really the only difference.

I agree in general, but the GT also has more cooling capacity, and the hot air is exhausted out the back of the case. The GTX cooler may be worth an additonal $40 or so.
April 10, 2006 9:03:50 PM

Quote:
The GTX cooler may be worth an additonal $40 or so.

Where did you get your prices? On newegg, there is a $200 difference between the cheapest 7900 GT and the cheapest 7900 GTX. If you really want a different cooler, buy an aftermarket one and install it with some Arctic Silver V. Not worth ~$200 US more.
April 10, 2006 9:55:49 PM

Quote:
Heya guys. For the past two years i have stopped following the hardware market so right now i am a bit confused. I ran into money lately and i want to build a brand new spanking high end gaming computer :D  (notice all those "nasty" words, hehe).

I was thinking of going with the P4 Extreme Edition but i now saw that the Athlon 64 FX 57 or Athlon 64 X2 4800 does better in games so i think i will go with that one :) 

So from what i know i was thinking of going with:

1. Athlon 64 FX 57 or Athlon 64 X2 4800
2. Geforce 7900 GTX (Asus EN7900GTX/2DHT)
3. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4

Now my problem is the motherboard. I want a good reliable motherboard that also has 2 IDE slots because i have 2x200 GB HDD with alot of crap on them that i don't want to lose.
Also it would be very nice if the mobo has incorporated LAN on it.
I also want a new case for my PC because the one i have is just too small and i can barely move components in it. I don't want one of them big towers neither but somewhat a happy medium ;) 

As for memory i don't know with what to go :( . I currently have 1Gb of DDR 400mhz. Should i go with a higher frequency or should i stick with 400mhz?

Note: I appreciate it if you guys give me examples of stuff to buy from companies that sell in Europe. I for one like Asus and have plenty of nice experience with Asus but i searched their site and couldn't find a motherboard that fits my "needs".

Questions:

If I were buying now and was not averse to COing my setup, I'd go with an OCd 4400+ and put aside for an FX60 in 6 months and OC that. That way you'll have a system that will go for at least a year and a half without worrying about new sockets.
April 11, 2006 12:10:16 AM

Well perhaps i will hear the difference. I went on by what people said here that Fatal1ty is overkill :) 

But anyway, i have now decided for what to go except the CPU. That one is a tough cookie to decide over.

And i went to my hardware company that also does imports on requests and when i told them the components they stood there stoned and told me they never heard of them :) 

(talking here about the asus 7900 gtx, the fatal1ty, the corsair memory :D , motherboard and cooler).
April 11, 2006 3:02:21 AM

It possible to spend an incredible amount of money and you will get performance but beyond a certain point the incremental increase in performance in comparison to what you pay diminshes. You could build something that would not disappoint you for around $2000-2500, something great for around $3500 and beyond that you're into the territory of fanatical gamers.

I don't know your budget but here's what I would do if I had a load of cash. I've put 3 - 4 choices for each part needed and I've only focused on stuff that affects performance - you can pick your own floppy or media reader.

Biggest thing you have to decide is what you want the rig for. If you want to game then go for an SLI configuration. If not then a single high end GPU will still give respectable performance. I've gone with nVidia graphics cards. ATI may have marginally higher performance right now for single card systems but there's little to choose between the highest end cards from either manufacturer. If you want to use dual ATI cards (Crossfire) then the MB's below won't be any good. Also for gaming an AMD 64 4000+ will work fine. An AMD 4000+ with 2 x 7900GTX will give better gaming performance than an AMD FX60 with a single 7900GTX. If you've no intention of going with dual graphic cards then don't buy a MB that can accomodate them, save some $ and spend it on better processor and/or graphics card.

Item 1 in each case is what I'd buy with unlimited cash but even the lowest choice will still work pretty well.

Power Supply
If you intend to put in 2 graphics cards then you'll need at least 550W preferably 600, I use Ultra - it works fine - you'll get opther reommendations and they'll probably be fine also.

Motherboards
1. ASUS A8N 32 SLI Deluxe
2. ASUS A8N SLI Premium
3. ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
4. MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (non-SLI).

CPU (AMD based choices)
1. AMD 64 FX60
2. AMD 64 FX57
3. AMD 64 X2 4800+ (dual core)
4. AMD 64 4000+ (this overclocks well)

RAM (get at least 2GB whatever make you pick)
1. 2 GB OCZ EL Titanium PC3200
2. 2 GB OCZ EL Platinum PC3200

HDD (3's nice 2's good but 1 will do)
1. 2 x 150 GB WD Raptors in RAID 0 + 1 x 320 GB WD3200JD
2. 1 X 150 GB WD Raptor + 1 x 320 GB WD3200JD
3. 2 x 320 GB WD3200JD
4. 1 X 320 GB WD3200JD

GPU
1. 2 x eVGA 7900 GTX (pick model with highest clock speeds)
2. 1 x eVGA 7900 GTX (ditto)
3. 2 x eVGA 7900GT (pick model with highest clock speeds)
4. 1 x eVGA 7900GT (ditto)

Cases - pick one you like for $100-200
DVD R/W - get a dual layer with light scribe

Cooling
If you want to overclock and wring every last ounce from the system then get water cooling - nothing beats if for keeping things cool and quiet
April 11, 2006 4:02:56 AM

IMO, the fact that you are not going to OC would make the Opteron a bad choice.

Maybe some others could weigh in on this.

LOL, oops, i did not see the second page. This is a reply to the last question on page 1. :) 
April 11, 2006 11:12:56 AM

Well i still didn't got any clear views on Opteron vs. FX so your answer is appreciated and still valueable :) 
April 11, 2006 11:16:47 AM

Steve, i pretty much decided on the components and more or less i have same ideas as you except for that processor, i still don't know what to pick.

And i am going with the DFI motherboard instead of an Asus one. I read in places some Asus aren't very stable and a friend of mine got an Asus Nforce 4 and also has stability issues.
April 11, 2006 11:17:23 AM

Hi Fila

To answer some of your questions:

1) Should i go with an all PCIe motherboard or should i also have some PCI slots?

Most definitely yes. PCIe is all the rage now and AGP is dead.

2) Should my soundcard be on PCIe or PCI ?

A soundcard in my opinion can still be PCI, and there are very few PCIe soundcards at the moment.

3) Right now i have a 550watt power source, do i need a more powerful one?

A 550W PSU will do you just fine.

If you want to learn more, check out this article which shows you how to build a great gaming PC for $1000.
April 11, 2006 8:31:54 PM

Quote:
1) Should i go with an all PCIe motherboard or should i also have some PCI slots?

Most definitely yes. PCIe is all the rage now and AGP is dead.

Just a quick clarification: I think he realizes that AGP is dead, but what he's asking is whether or not he should have plain old 64-bit PCI slots. The answer is yes. Any motherboard you buy today, with the possible exception if a quad-SLI board (still not sure of the layout of one like that), will have at least 2 regular PCI slots (most have 3), one PCI-E x1, and one or two PCI-E x 16 slots that run in x8 mode when containing two cards.

PCI is a must, especially since you want to add that retardly unnecessary Fatal1ty sound card. They can also be used to add an RJ11 (dial-up) modem, a network card, a card to add extra IDE, SATA, or some cheap SCSI storage devices, etc.

If you're not overclocking, I would suggest either a high-end Asus board or an Abit (I like DFI, EPoX, and Abit, personally) paired with an Athlon 64 4400, like people have suggested. Don't bother with the FX-series. The single cored ones are too expensive and don't have dual cores, and the FX-60 is just not worth it. The 4400 zooms at a nice 2.2 GHz, and has the 2 x 1 MB cache makes it feel zippier when multitasking.

BTW, if you have your heart set on that stupid Fatal1ty sound card, you might as well go higher-end and get a Fatal1ty-series motherboard from Abit, and some Fatal1ty-series coolers from Zalman. With the Opteron series, the stock cooler would have been brilliant. However, the stock HSF on anything but won't quite cut it. You may want an aftermarket cooler like a Thermalright heatsink coupled with a Thermaltake Silent Wheel fan (a 130mm fan in a 120mm form factor).
April 12, 2006 12:58:39 PM

Then guess i will go with the 4400 for the cpu.

So all in all my setup is complete now. Thanks to all :) 

Just have to wait to see if i can actually get the Venus DFI mobo because the hardware company so far said they cannot find it.
April 12, 2006 1:43:00 PM

Let me get this right.....
You want a "High End PC", for gaming, but you dont want SLI and you dont overclock.
I think what you need is a fast, upgradeable, workstation, with o/b Audigy for sound. Go with Intel 775 for that. 8)
I mean Im a hard core gamer and I still use an SB Live!
I havent found a reason to upgrade it yet. :wink:
April 12, 2006 2:25:15 PM

Don't buy the DFI Venus if you're not into overclocking. The venus is a special edition board that carries a hefty price tag because it has special components designed to withstand the extra stresses of running higher than stock voltages to the memory and the processor (and anything else you can OC). DFI is an enthusiast board aimed at people who want to tweak and OC so if you don't want to do that then you can spend less on the M/B. It really doesn't make sense to spend $200 (165 Euros) on a board you don't need.

The only reason to go with the Opteron is if you're OC'ing. They are supposedly made from higher quality wafers and have a reputation for over-clocking very well. Since you've said you don't want to oc then go for the cpu with the highest stock clock you can afford (spending less on the mobo will help you here too).

Also, things like video card drivers (and soon source code for games) are taking advantage of the multi-threading abilities of dual core processors so it might be a good idea to go that route instead of a higher-clocked single core cpu.
April 12, 2006 7:14:09 PM

Pls explain to me the point of buying two 7900GTX when 1 single GTX together with strong cpu and lots of memory does the job of owning every game on the market?

P.S. I am buying a SLI mobo in order to buy the 2nd GTX in the future when the price goes down.

And why should i overclock when the system (without o/c) also owns every game on the market anyway? I don't like bragging so unless a game runs bad on my system i fail to see the point of overclocking.
April 12, 2006 7:41:02 PM

It's a pride thing. There's a rush that comes from having a highly-clocked system, even if the benefits can be minimal. I mean, it is impressive to hear that someone can hit 2.9 GHz out of a $325 dual-core chip. Bang-for-the-buck is at an all-time high with that.

Let me reiterate what other people have said:

YOU DON'T NEED A DFI LANPARTY VENUS IF YOU ARE NOT OVERCLOCKING!!!!!!!!!

It is a very fast high-end board, but it is not necessary for what you want to do. DFI's are targeted at overclockers, of which you are not. You wasted a lot of money on that board. It may also make it very, very difficult to build the system to get it up and running. DFI BIOSes are very compliacated, because there are so many settings that hardcore overclockers like to tweak. The entire point of getting a DFI board (particularly an expensive one) is to overclock to very high speeds and keep it stable.

'You wasted a lot of money on a difficult board to set up.
April 12, 2006 11:23:11 PM

Well it's not sure i will get it anyway. If not i will go with another DFI board (probably the one that the venus is based on) because i like the layout and it suits my needs (2 ide :D )

Also i don't mind if other people overclock my system. hehe. I write my components and let others do the overclocking.

I never knew what my ram is capable of but with this xms memory that i am getting i finally know what latencies to use.

And yes i don't really want to overclock unless my system is out of date and i need to squeeze the last possible power out of it. So that means that once my new system will begin to fall behind i might overclock the hell out of it so that i can get those games to work at max graphics again.
April 13, 2006 12:50:16 AM

I'd stay away from the FX series for the simple reason that they are very pricey for the incremental performance. I can overclock my 4000+ to close to FX55 performance for a lot of bills less.

Surprised what you say about the ASUS MB in view of the ratings they get. I didn't buy one but it was high on my list

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
AMD 64 4000+
2GB OCZ EL Plat PC3200
WD 3200JD SATA
eVGA7800GT
Ultar 500W X-Connect PS
Ultra Dragon PC Case
Pioneer Dual Layer DVD RW
Ultr 7 in 1 Media Reader w/ floppy
April 13, 2006 3:17:47 PM

I think you'll regret getting a DFI board if you're not going to overclock. Now, let me get this straight: you don't want to overclock, but you'll let your friends who know how do it? Meh. If you're not going to do that, then don't get a DFI board.

You may like a high-end Asus SLIx16 board:

Or perhaps an Abit:

Or an EPoX SLI board for a lot less:
(This can still overclock very nicely, a lot easier at the expense of a touch less competance)

If you aren't going to overclock, then don't get a DFI board. Otherboards can have the same layout. BTW: the chipset fan seems to suck on most DFI and Asus boards. Just something to consider while you're wasting money.
!