Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I've just gota new PSU as my old one had died, and now i have another problem :'(

Everything turns on, but as soon as my pc tries to boot from a HDD, it resets and makes the 'power on' beep again.

I have 2 hard drives, both IDE, and the odd thing is that sometimes it all boots up fine, but ONLY if i have only one hdd plugged in. Even odder is that sometimes one works, sometimes the other works, and more commonly neither does!

Basically, WHAT IS HAPPENING!

:S :S :S !

Xan

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
AMD64 3000+
ATI radeon 9800pro
Gigabyte GA-k8NS mobo
Thermaltake 500W TR2-500W PSU
2 x Maxtor Diamondmax HDDs - one 80gb,one 120gb
2GB Crucial DDR400

Various fans - I've added one since I last used my PC - could this be the problem?

ge0stuff

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Have u tried using both HDD as boot disks?

Maybe the problem is in one of the HDDs...

Try installing the Op Sys in the other disk...

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Turn off your power supply and unplug it. Take out all your cards and re-seat them one at a time. Do the same with your memory. Make sure their isnt a windows cd in your drive and make sure your set to boot from primary hardisk, not cd. Other than that dunno.

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I've tried taking everything out and putting it back in - didnt help.

When I tried to install windows on my second HDD, i got an error, just after 'press F6 to install SCSI or RAID drivers':

Unexpected Error (191902023) occured in line 1773 in 'd:xpsprtm/base/bootsetup/arcdisp.c.' (slash = backslash)
Press any key to continue.

I can't find this file anywhere,and I can't tell if it's a file on the CD, or on my HDD...

On the press of a key it resets the PC again....

:?

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Update: I disconnected the CD drive and it's started working... ill report back if it seems stable.

Could i have been drawing too much power from one molex lead?

cheers

xan

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
you know whats odd?? i have the exact same setup... board and everything.. (plus a little more.. 5hd 2dvdrw) and the same exact thing happned to me yesterday. for some reason the onboard ide just stoped working both primary and secondary.. sometimes i can get a boot if i only have one hd connected to the primary and nothing else.. not even the sata.. i origionally thouhgt it was a power supply issue but the local computer shop was already closed so i couldnt test that.. i figure 550 would be enough for all that.. but maybe its just a crapy power supply.. let me know what your outcome was...

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Hmmm very odd...

I haven't been able to resolve this either, getting the same as you now!

Having thought the removal of the DVD drive fixed it... after a few trials i found it hadnt. :(

I doubt it's the power, as if you have a good one and i've just bought a new one, i doubt it's that going wrong... :?

Well its nice to know someone else is having the same issues.

Maybe its the mobo playing up? do you have the same one?

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Hmm,what seems to be helping is turning the psu off, unplugging it, leaving it for a few mins, and then rebooting...
Maybe something's getting hot?

any help would be great! :?

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
yeah same mobo exactly.. i dont get it.. its not the dvd driv.. i dont think.. i have 2 and both are new... i can remove them and it still is messed up. i dont know.. right now i have my main drive connected to a pci ata card and my system is running all sorts of slow.. but is running.. im a little upset about this mobo.. i dont think i will buy gigabyte again.. i wonder if someone else has this prob.. maybe the board is designed to fail on a certain day>?? haha.. that damn Y2K bug again....

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
haha yeah... maybe lol :p

I have a new mobo coming today(hopefully) anyway for a new PC, so i'll let you know what happens when i try that one with all my kit.

xan