is something wrong with my computer?

rourouni815

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Ive just recently built my computer this past tuesday and worked fine it booted up fine and installed everything correctly. Ive updated all of my drivers and it still worked fine. But recently my computer hasnt been playing any of my games. The game starts up fine but in the middle of the game the game would just freeze or show me lines of colors then it would need a restart to get my computer going again. Sometimes the windows wont even start up it stays in the windows xp loading screen, Can this be a very bad problem or just a temp problem bc my comp is idle at 45?

Here are my specs:
Asus a8n sli premium
Opteron 170 no oc on stock hsf
250 seagate gb sata hdd
600w fsp powersupply
2 gb corsair

pat

Expert
Ive just recently built my computer this past tuesday and worked fine it booted up fine and installed everything correctly. Ive updated all of my drivers and it still worked fine. But recently my computer hasnt been playing any of my games. The game starts up fine but in the middle of the game the game would just freeze or show me lines of colors then it would need a restart to get my computer going again. Sometimes the windows wont even start up it stays in the windows xp loading screen, Can this be a very bad problem or just a temp problem bc my comp is idle at 45?

Here are my specs:
Asus a8n sli premium
Opteron 170 no oc on stock hsf
250 seagate gb sata hdd
600w fsp powersupply
2 gb corsair

Most probbly video card overheating..

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
try checking your temps while your computer is underload.

then consider reseating your heatsink. 45*C idle sounds pretty high for a stock speed opteron.

rourouni815

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
do all of these factor to windows not starting properly, bc sometimes it doesnt even start up but just stays in the loading mode??

This may sound silly, but do you have the PCI-E power connecter installed on the video card?

Another guess is that your air temperature in your case is too high. Your components cannot cool off with hot air.

Try underclocking your video card to test it for heat issues. If it works when underclocked you may need to add extra ventilation to your case.

rourouni815

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
yes i have the pci e connected to the vid card.i thnk my case has good ventilation the antec p 180. but i dont really knw why the cpu is that hot

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Might want to start windows in safe mode, and see what is going on from there, and look at the event viewer. Also might want to clear the temp folder:

Documents and Settings/<your user name>/local settings/temp

Also could run: chkdsk /f

See if that clears anything up on the HD.

I would agree on checking on that airflow, to help determine if you seated the HSF on correctly with what ever thermal paste your using.