3DMark06 Under the Magnifying Glass

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
What's new inside the "Gamer's Benchmark?" We peeked under the hood of the benchmark and interviewed Futuremark's Nick Renqvist to get the latest scoop.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I cant wait for the 06' patch that recognizes my hardware and clock speeds :D Getting a score in the 6000 range with my video clock speeds at 0mhz core and 378mhz mem just dosnt seem right, lol.

mpjesse

Splendid
You guys rock. Great article and interview. I found this particular question and answer quite ammusing:

Tom's Hardware: We know you switched from Havok to the PhysX SDK. Why did you make the change? Was it because the Ageia solution was free, or were there other factors?

Nick: AGEIA's PhysX was optimally suited for our needs in 3DMark06.

LOL. They're basically using it 'cause it's free. But hey, Futuremark is in it to make money and AGEIA is supposedly the future anyways...

-mpjesse

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Based on the formulas given for the calulation of the overall 3dmark score if ur average cpu fps is 0 for both tests wouldnt that just mess up your score big time? considering at one point something is divided by the cpu score lol. i think thats whats happening with my system lol.

Based on the formulas given for the calulation of the overall 3dmark score if ur average cpu fps is 0 for both tests wouldnt that just mess up your score big time? considering at one point something is divided by the cpu score lol. i think thats whats happening with my system lol.

CPU tests are not used for the 3Dmark score. They are seperate results.

3Dmark results are based on weighting the Game Tests and if X=0 then it's not factored in at all.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Tom's Hardware: We know you switched from Havok to the PhysX SDK. Why did you make the change? Was it because the Ageia solution was free, or were there other factors?

Nick: AGEIA's PhysX was optimally suited for our needs in 3DMark06.

LOL. They're basically using it 'cause it's free... -mpjesse

I gathered that from their answer as well :mrgreen: