Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newbie Question: about Processors

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 3, 2006 3:52:45 PM

Whats the difference between Intel and AMD processors?

If I mainly use my computer for programs such as Photoshop, InDesign, Flash, 3DSMAX, Maya etc... Which processor is best for these types of jobs?

Thanks,
April 3, 2006 4:30:30 PM

If you really used those programs, then you'd already know the answer.
Related resources
April 3, 2006 4:41:28 PM

Well, the differences between the two are either minimal or maximum depending on how you look at it. People will tell you many different things and have varied opinions.

Basically, Intel and AMD use two very different architectures. I won't go into detail on the two but, the differences are pretty great.

In a nutshell, Intels generally are good for long winded applications such as video editing. They are not as quick as AMD chips are. The main advantage of AMDs quickness is because they use an on die memory controller. Intels have their memory controllers on the motherboard therefore, they have longer pipes or stages. They also generate more heat because of this and are less efficient. Performance is generally in AMDs court because they are quicker, more efficient and run cooler.
April 3, 2006 4:52:46 PM

Well this is a long drawn-out battle dating back to the 1 ghz race.

Many people will have very strong preferences. You know how Americans will always cheer for American teams at the Olympics? Well people have sided with AMD and Intel in the same way, however, why someone has allegiance to manufacturer isn't really clear.

I prefer AMD. This is based on several reasons. Perhaps the underdog "David and Goliath"ness gets me a little. Also, in my opinion and for what I like to do (gaming) I believe that AMD has the edge over Intel. I also believe that for DIY (do-it-yourself) computer builders that AMD offers a better value.

Many people will disagree with my viewpoint and tell you that Intel is better, and state the same reasons and be able to back it with facts (just as I could).

Picking between the two isn't going to be like choosing a house. Either one is going to keep you happy and you won't have too many second thoughts (until upgrade time). Just because you could of picked brand X's processor and saved $10 and waited 5 hundredths of a second less for a filter pass in Photoshop won't really effect you too much.

I recommend you do a lot of research on your own to find your own answer. Here is a good starting place:

Tom's Hardware Guide: CPU Charts
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

These charts can help you make performance comparisons between processors you may be considering. I recommend you do what I do: Figure out your CPU price range. Then find all the processors in that price range. Then find out what they benchmarked in the categories that are important to you.

Good luck.
April 3, 2006 5:27:00 PM

Quote:
Whats the difference between Intel and AMD processors?



What's the meaning of life?


I'm just waiting for the fanboys to get all over this one.
April 3, 2006 5:41:04 PM

in a nutshell? Nothing. they are both x86 architecture CPU's designed to be used in modern day Personal computers. both CPU's will do everything home and gaming users need them to do competitively

however. how they do this is different. both manufacturers work with lots of effort to outperform eachother

regardless of what you're doing you could go with either and be happy.

but dependin on what you're doing one would outperform the other
April 3, 2006 6:24:27 PM

Quote:
If you really used those programs, then you'd already know the answer.


So true... this is just guna end up being Fanboy heaven...

The truth? IMHO...

Right here, Right now?
Athlon X2 (Or the equivelent 1xx Opteron), Athlon FX-60 if you plan to overclock, or the Intel Extreme Edition 965 for EXTREME overclock... e.g 6ghz+ with a phase change cooler.

Very Near Future? (8 months time...ish)
The NGMA Intel's, Conroe etc... If benchmarks can be believed, which i see no reason they cannot, the Conroe will outperform most, if not all AMD offerings...

Just After Very Near Future? (10 months time...ish)
The AMD Rev.G cores... offering 2-4 cores, DDR2/3 (i know AM2 has DDR2... just wasnt sure wat Rev.G has, so put both...), Revamped architecture, Hypertransport 3.0, and the likelyhood of vast amounts of L3 Cache.

After That?
The AMD to Intel seesaw will continue... no-one know's who will be the "winner"... but who cares... both companies make profits(Yes AMD makes profits, not including the Spansion), and both beat down their prices for the supremicy, which is good for consumers... So Fanboys... stay away... Not needed here...

That do you?
April 3, 2006 6:26:22 PM

All the above post are correct, but...

An easy way to think of it.. Intel+AMD=Price Wars.

I guess that depends on how much you want to spend, and if your living in a cold or hot enviroment. :D 
April 3, 2006 6:46:12 PM

Quote:
Whats the difference between Intel and AMD processors?

If I mainly use my computer for programs such as Photoshop, InDesign, Flash, 3DSMAX, Maya etc... Which processor is best for these types of jobs?

Thanks,


Don't know why nobody linked to this.....

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

That's a good in-depth look at the 2.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 3, 2006 7:00:54 PM

Quote:
Well this is a long drawn-out battle dating back to the 1 ghz race.

Many people will have very strong preferences. You know how Americans will always cheer for American teams at the Olympics? Well people have sided with AMD and Intel in the same way, however, why someone has allegiance to manufacturer isn't really clear.

I prefer AMD. This is based on several reasons. Perhaps the underdog "David and Goliath"ness gets me a little. Also, in my opinion and for what I like to do (gaming) I believe that AMD has the edge over Intel. I also believe that for DIY (do-it-yourself) computer builders that AMD offers a better value.

Many people will disagree with my viewpoint and tell you that Intel is better, and state the same reasons and be able to back it with facts (just as I could).

Picking between the two isn't going to be like choosing a house. Either one is going to keep you happy and you won't have too many second thoughts (until upgrade time). Just because you could of picked brand X's processor and saved $10 and waited 5 hundredths of a second less for a filter pass in Photoshop won't really effect you too much.

I recommend you do a lot of research on your own to find your own answer. Here is a good starting place:

Tom's Hardware Guide: CPU Charts
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

These charts can help you make performance comparisons between processors you may be considering. I recommend you do what I do: Figure out your CPU price range. Then find all the processors in that price range. Then find out what they benchmarked in the categories that are important to you.

Good luck.


Actually, this is a pretty good scenario. I wanted to add that you can overclock an intel to achieve better performance. Intels have more headroom as a result of the memory controller being on the motherboard in addition to the 65nm technology. At stock speeds, AMD pretty much rules the field. Now in laptops, that's a different story but, stop here.
April 3, 2006 7:04:23 PM

Quote:
Don't know why nobody linked to this.....

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...


Because everyone loves to give their own opinion.

And Jkflipflop98

Quote:
If you really used those programs, then you'd already know the answer.


I totally agree - noones that much of a 'newbie' (is n00b not cool anymore or something) to ask that sort of a question who uses all that software - probs just wanted to start a war of fanboys, hoping that in the end they would all kill each other and the kingdom of THG would be returned to unity....or maybe I'm (again) reading too far into it.
April 3, 2006 7:08:08 PM

Quote:
Don't know why nobody linked to this.....

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...


Because everyone loves to give their own opinion.

And Jkflipflop98

Quote:
If you really used those programs, then you'd already know the answer.


I totally agree - noones that much of a 'newbie' (is n00b not cool anymore or something) to ask that sort of a question who uses all that software - probs just wanted to start a war of fanboys, hoping that in the end they would all kill each other and the kingdom of THG would be returned to unity....or maybe I'm (again) reading too far into it.

Well, bub, that thread is not an opinion, because if you had read it (reading IS in your ability, is it not?) you'd know it's a non-biased, FACTUAL account of the 2 companies latest CPU's and developments, I hope it's not too advanced for you, I know how hard reading can be to some people.

I also like the passive flaming you did on the author, real catchy and soooo 1990's. It doesn't matter if he was starting a flame war or not, we answered his question respectfully and gave him good information, than you post your crap (hopefully that isn't too mean) and get way off topic.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 3, 2006 7:33:21 PM

Hey hey hey, seeing as your gonna get insulting I'd just like to point out that I was saying to you (in a non-offensive manner, it was more of an aside) that people prefer to 'put it in their own words' than post links to other people's - I realise that isn't the case here, but seeing as reading IS 'in my ability' I read this forum on a daily basis, and I was more making an (apparently too) subtle jab at the way most people like to shoot out their opinion where it's not wanted/asked for/relevant.

In reply to your second point about my 'passive flaming'/'off topic' - sure, it's probably not 'on-topic' but as you said you 'answered his question respectfully and gave him good information'. That's past tense, I assume that means this thread is 'over' (seeing as there is already an abundance of information posted). I was just saying that I agree with what Jkflipflop had already said and elaborating upon said agreement.

I do apologise that I answered your rhetorical question in a manner that apparently irritated you, but seeing as you've already pronounced and buried this thread I thought I'd just elaborate slightly on what had already been said, because I apparently like to give my opinion where it isn't wanted too.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets irritated having to wade through knee-deep fanboy crap to get to decent posts...and this is my view on the subject.
April 3, 2006 7:39:52 PM

sometimes unless youv'e got something informative to insert.. don't bother.


and he asked what's the difference between them

Not which is currently a better CPU
April 3, 2006 7:41:11 PM

Look I realise I can't win here, but perhaps I could have a chance to defend myself?
April 3, 2006 7:43:02 PM

NAHHH.


just bend over... it's easier this way
April 3, 2006 7:47:06 PM

Personally,being a gamer,I prefer the AMD cpu's over the INTEL.But point in fact,AMD does offer superior performance for just about every application,and appears to be on par with INTEL,even in video streaming.Although when hyperthreading is enabled in the INTEL system,they clearly outperform the AMD in streaming.However,I still believe AMD to be the best bang per buck as far as cpus are concerned.Good luck with your selection.Hope I have helped some.
April 3, 2006 7:59:50 PM

Quote:
If you really used those programs, then you'd already know the answer.


that was a bit of an A$$ hole thing to say. Maybe they have only used one type of processor, or maybe they dont have a clue what they are running. There is a guy i met a month ago that does a bunch of design work for the state (not sure what programs he uses, was a little inebriated at the time). He didnt have a clue what his machine was, so lay off the guy. not every one is an expert like you.
April 3, 2006 9:52:12 PM

Quote:
and he asked what's the difference between them

Not which is currently a better CPU


An important part of differentiation is the determination of which one is better.
April 3, 2006 10:21:08 PM

Quote:
in a nutshell? Nothing. they are both x86 architecture CPU's designed to be used in modern day Personal computers. both CPU's will do everything home and gaming users need them to do competitively

however. how they do this is different. both manufacturers work with lots of effort to outperform eachother

regardless of what you're doing you could go with either and be happy.

but dependin on what you're doing one would outperform the other


Nice explanation of the differences...they are different.
!