Flight Environment from Flight 1

What actually is Flight Environment ? I want something to make my
existing weather prettier. Is FE what I'm after ?

I'm about to lose the internet connection on my FS computer so real
weather (and therefore ASV) isn't an option, I need something that
will make the default MS weather look better.

If it replaces the default weather then it has to do themes so I can
easily approximate what I'm seeing out the window.

If it makes the default weather behave better too (thermals, wake
turbulence, etc) that's all good, and if it has a random weather
option that would be perfect.

Thanks
Gary
11 answers Last reply
More about flight environment flight

    I don't have FE and don't have anything to say against it. But you
    might find everything you need (except water textures) in the freeware
    package FS SkyWorld 2004 by Chris Willis. He's the same talented and
    good-natured fellow who designed the "Active Environment" textures for
    ASV. Sky World isn't as flexible as Active Environment, but it does
    include a lot of textures and it has a randomize feature. See
    http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=fs+sky+world+2004&FileN
    ame=&Author=&CatID=fs2004scen

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:31:08 +1200, Gary <chairmanSPAM@ihug.co.nz>
    wrote:

    >What actually is Flight Environment ? I want something to make my
    >existing weather prettier. Is FE what I'm after ?
    >
    >I'm about to lose the internet connection on my FS computer so real
    >weather (and therefore ASV) isn't an option, I need something that
    >will make the default MS weather look better.
    >
    >If it replaces the default weather then it has to do themes so I can
    >easily approximate what I'm seeing out the window.
    >
    >If it makes the default weather behave better too (thermals, wake
    >turbulence, etc) that's all good, and if it has a random weather
    >option that would be perfect.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Gary

    Get the new Active Sky 5. You can program weather into it and it will
    generate very realistic weather so real you won't believe your eyes.
    You don't have to be connected to the Internet if you program the
    weather you want into it. If you have FE, which makes clouds, sky and
    water, it will work with AS5, but is not necessary for clouds and sky,
    since AS5 makes them both.

    Bob

    >Get the new Active Sky 5. You can program weather into it and it will
    >generate very realistic weather so real you won't believe your eyes.
    >You don't have to be connected to the Internet if you program the
    >weather you want into it. If you have FE, which makes clouds, sky and
    >water, it will work with AS5, but is not necessary for clouds and sky,
    >since AS5 makes them both.

    One of the 'problems' I have read people who own ASV saying is that to
    get a certain type of weather they have to know a time and place that
    it happened so they can load the data file - inother words, they
    *can't* programme weather.

    If you own ASV and are able to program weather please tell me how, and
    then yes I will gladly get it !

    Thanks
    Gary

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:33:54 +1200, Gary <chairmanSPAM@ihug.co.nz>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >>Get the new Active Sky 5. You can program weather into it and it will
    >>generate very realistic weather so real you won't believe your eyes.
    >>You don't have to be connected to the Internet if you program the
    >>weather you want into it. If you have FE, which makes clouds, sky and
    >>water, it will work with AS5, but is not necessary for clouds and sky,
    >>since AS5 makes them both.

    >One of the 'problems' I have read people who own ASV saying is that to
    >get a certain type of weather they have to know a time and place that
    >it happened so they can load the data file - inother words, they
    >*can't* programme weather.
    >
    >If you own ASV and are able to program weather please tell me how, and
    >then yes I will gladly get it !
    >
    >Thanks
    >Gary

    ok to chime in here? it may seem repetitive.. but a development path
    to a weather system could be the following -- With a utility such as
    WxAnalyzer one could look at plan or elevation views of temperature,
    pressure, clouds (maybe) and many other params such as day / night
    (sunrise / sunset) map.

    It's similar to WeatherSet FSUIPC utility only on more advanced scale.

    Then software like WxCAD to set up GLOBAL and LOCAL weathers all
    along ANY route. Go ahead and adopt the program names if you wish.
    I make no claim to them.

    -Gregory

    p.s. imagine being able to view 2D charts or maps of weather
    parameters for nearly any complex or custom weather load..
    and ability to CAD-up and save specific conditions!!

    ___| reply |__________________________________________________________

    ok to chime in here? it may seem repetitive.. but a development path
    to a weather system could be the following -- With a utility such as
    WxAnalyzer one could look at plan or elevation views of temperature,
    pressure, clouds (maybe) and many other params such as day / night
    (sunrise / sunset) map.

    It's similar to WeatherSet FSUIPC utility only on more advanced scale.

    Until then (and I'm not telling Gregory anything he doesn't already
    know), it is possible to use WeatherSet to analyze the weather from
    saved flights. It only works one reporting station at a time, but I
    have used it to generate Weather Themes, using Wmaker from the FS9 SDK.
    Wmaker is tedious and buggy, and I only did two. If I were doing it now
    I'd want to use ActiveSky. But WeatherSet is free (it comes with
    FSUIPC, doesn't require registration) and CAN be used to figure out how
    existing weather is being generated.

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:00:03 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
    Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Until then it is possible to use WeatherSet to analyze the weather from
    >saved flights. It only works one reporting station at a time, but I have
    >used it to generate Weather Themes, using Wmaker from the FS9 SDK.
    >Wmaker is tedious and buggy, and I only did two.

    Yep.. have used WeatherSet on secondary 15" monitor while Simming.
    It displays Temp and Winds vs ALT (IIRC) and some precip. I couldn't
    open any files with it (or SAVE really).

    >If I were doing it now I'd want to use ActiveSky.

    >But WeatherSet is free (it comes with FSUIPC, doesn't require registration)
    >and CAN be used to figure out how existing weather is being generated.

    Any other tips for using WxSet? or editing Wx files?

    -Gregory

    ___| reply |__________________________________________________________

    Yep.. have used WeatherSet on secondary 15" monitor while Simming.
    It displays Temp and Winds vs ALT (IIRC) and some precip. I couldn't
    open any files with it (or SAVE really).

    Any other tips for using WxSet? or editing Wx files?

    Don't know about editing. Using Weatherset, I've opened the .wx file
    I'm interested in (same directory as you're saved flights, but with the
    ..wx extension instead of .flt), then "Search"ed for the airport closest
    to the weather I want to examine, using the four-letter ICAO code.

    At this point, you should have a detailed picture of clouds, temps,
    humidity, and wind. Question is, what to do with it? What I've done to
    edit weather is to download the Weather SDK from Microsoft and build a
    theme. My theme isn't complicated -- I just fill the whole theme area
    with the weather from that one airport, as reported in Weatherset. You
    have to go one variable at a time: one for each wind level, temp level,
    cloud level, etc. If you're creative (or attentive) you can modify this
    and create your own weather using the same tool.

    >One of the 'problems' I have read people who own ASV saying is that to
    >get a certain type of weather they have to know a time and place that
    >it happened so they can load the data file - inother words, they
    >*can't* programme weather.
    >
    >If you own ASV and are able to program weather please tell me how, and
    >then yes I will gladly get it !

    Isn't it always the way ...

    I spent two or three hours reading reviews and support forums and all
    of them said that you can't program the weather in active sky.

    Thirty seconds on google tonight and I find out how to do it *blush*

    "Gary"
    > I spent two or three hours reading reviews and support forums and all
    > of them said that you can't program the weather in active sky.
    > Thirty seconds on google tonight and I find out how to do it *blush*

    Can you also program weather with the older ActiveSky 4.5? If so how?

    Dallas

    "David Wilson-Okamura"
    > With a utility such as WxAnalyzer one
    > could look at plan or elevation views of temperature

    Hum... where does one find WxAnalyzer?

    Dallas

    >Can you also program weather with the older ActiveSky 4.5? If so how?

    Yes, but I can't find the post again.

    It was on a support forum but I can't remember whose, and it was from
    one of the activesky developers, and it was something about manually
    editing a file to change the METAR for your desired area.

    I tried copying the line from a dat file that related to my home
    airport into a file of its own then edited just that file, then I
    loaded that file into AS4.5. I managed to change the winds on the
    runway this way but didn't have any luck changing clouds or making it
    rain. You might have better luck, you probably know more about what
    you're doing better than I do :-)

Default Microsoft Internet Connection Video Games