Sign in with
Your question

Trying to Install Windows 7, setup can not find harddrive.

Last response: in Windows 7
April 10, 2011 12:41:23 AM

Hi there,

I am attempting to install Windows 7(32) onto my computer (currently running Windows Vista32). I have been unable to do so because the setup claims that I have no harddrives in which to install windows. It will not detect them during the installation process.

The compatibility check states that my computer is capable of running Windows 7(32) I am curious if there is anything I could do to get the installation to detect my harddrive.

Please feel free to ask for any other hardware related questions if needed.

My computer specs are:

Nvidia GTS 450
Intel Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
4.00gb Ram
Dell XPS720
PLDS DVD+RW DH-16A6S SCSI CdRom (driver up to date)

I attempted to format my C: as well, as per a friends suggestion, and was unable to do so recieving an error message stating "system partition is not allowed to be formatted" . I do not recall partitioning my system.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
April 10, 2011 4:30:09 PM

I am going under the assumption that my harddrive for whatever reason is not functioning properly. Upon examination, I have found that my harddrive is a

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 RoHS

I apologize if I have not provided this crucial information beforehand, I am very much an amateur when it comes to computers and computer hardware.

Thanks again.
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2011 8:06:31 AM

delete all partition data. by booting from the vista boot disk and leave it raw.

boot the win 7 install disk. it should now be able to see the drive and create the win7 system partition which is 100mb, 1s done create all the rest of the partitions you need.
you should then be able to format and install.
Related resources
April 11, 2011 8:22:37 AM

Check your bios settings when you boot up, you may be in RAID configuration for your hdd controller, if so you normally need to make sure that the install has drivers for your raid card to then be able to access your HDD's.

If you are in RAID, there should be an option to change to IDE or something similar, then it should pick up your hdd without needing the drivers. Obviously there will be data loss involved here.
Just trying to get a look at you manual but the net is v slow on my end.
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2011 2:20:16 PM

first - you can not format a system disk that is in use.
2nd as curtis indicated, go into bios and check how HDD is set up. See what your options are, for a single disk system probably AHCI. Dont change.
But do change boot order to CD/DVD
3rd Exit bios and boot to win 7 DVD. Select cusom install. You should see a page that ask where to install and it should show your HDD along with the partitions.
4th As HEXit indicated, Delete all partitions. NOTE you will have to install all of your programs and you need to have backed up all of the files that you have generated and Want to keep. SO DO THIS BEFORE DELETING Partitions.
5th If Bois set to AHCI continue with install, winows will ask to partition the drive so need to set the partition. Depending on size you may use the entire disk, or just a part of it (ie for your system partition C: about 200->400 Gigs. that will leave the remainder as a D: drive for your data).

If Your Bios was set to say IDE mode and you have the option to change to AHCI. Exit win install after deleting partitions. Go back into bios and change to AHCI. Save and reboot to DVD. Again select custom install. On page where to install Partition drive and continue with install.
May 1, 2011 6:47:08 PM

I know this post is somewhat old, but I thought I'd add my experience with this issue.

I had a similar problem when trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 on a Seagate drive. The drive was recognized in the system BIOS, and I could hook it up to other systems that were running Win7 and they all recognized the drive. For some reason Win7 wouldn't recognize it during setup in one particular machine.

I did much research on the Internet and tried many suggestions -- none of which worked. One idea in particular lead to a solution: formatting the drive in NTFS. I did this but the drive was still unrecognizable. I then got the idea to try formatting the drive in FAT32. I did a quick format using FAT32 GUI Formatter (I think it's part of Windows 7), hooked up the drive, and Win7 recognized it. I was then able to install Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 without a problem.
May 4, 2011 1:45:30 PM

yeah, um...what happened in the end?
!