power supply fans

popcan

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
when i first built my computer i just used the cheap power supply that came with my case, the fans never went as fast as it seemed they should. Eventually that one crapped out on me, and i went out and bought an antec power supply. The fans on it never went very fast either, i thought maybe it was natural. But lately my computer has been crashing alot, and I realised that the 2 fans on my power supply arent running at all, I'm guessing this is the reason behind my crashes. I don't really know what to do in order to fix this.

You need to provide details...The devil is in the details! What are your system specs? Are you getting BSOD errors? If yes, then have you googled the errors? Is your rig adware/spyware free? Are all of your drivers up to date? Program patches up to date? What programs are you running when the crashes happen?

PSU fans not spinning would seem indicate a heat issue. You can open the side of the case and point a normal home fan in the side of the case - if that stops the crashes, then heat is one likely issue.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
did the cpu come with a fan regulator cable? some can be connected to the motherboard so it controls the speed of the fan, others like i think thermaltake's have a back/or frontal panel which allows the user to manually adjust the speeds, maby ur caboe is screwed up in some way have You checked it?....just a thought

i once took my first pc to best buy for repairs (had a hd failure) and when i got back the pc the fan controler for the psu was disconnected, the damn best buy tekies didnt connect it back at all.

popcan

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I'm at school atm so I dont have everything in front of me, but I'm running a 1.8ghz AMD processor on an asus motherboard with 1gig of 3200 speed ddr kingston ram with a radeon 9500 pro. I did open my case and put a fan next to it, and I havent had a crash yet, although my video card did crash once. I've had errors saying that "the memory cannot be read" and I've had my computer just shut itself down and restart. My computer, atleast to my knowledge is completely adware/spyware free, I have norton antivirus and run adaware frequently. I don't believe that my power supply came with a fan controller cable, I looked and didn't see anything, and there are no external controls for the fans built into my power supply.

I did open my case and put a fan next to it, and I havent had a crash yet, although my video card did crash once.
Did you have a crash or not? Explain what you mean by a videao card crash and when it happened (before or after you opened the side of the case). Which Antec PSU is in the rig and can you still get an RMA?
I've had errors saying that "the memory cannot be read" and I've had my computer just shut itself down and restart.
You need to disable auto reboots in Windows. Simple procedure, but after you do it you will receive a BSOD error instead of the machine rebooting. You can then Google the error that your receive - very useful info.

At this point it looks like heat is at least part of the issue, but you may have driver/patch or memory issues, too. Update all of your drivers and patches and then run Memtest86 on your rig. Try Memtest on both sticks and then on each individual stick.

popcan

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Its an antec SL350, and when the video card crashed, I was playing a game at the time, world of warcraft, the game minimized and a window came up on my desktop saying that the video card had an unrecoverable error... however I was simply able to return to my game with no problems after closing this window. Tonight when I get back from school I'll try updating all my memory and running memtest86. I'll also figure out how to disable auto reboot and see what error msg i get if i get another crash. Also, I feel kind of dumb, but, what is an RMA?

RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization. Online retailers typically have a return policy for items that they sell. If you're not happy with an item and are within their RMA policies, then you can return for exchange or money. You must read the RMA policy for the site where you purchased the item - these policies can/will vary widely between merchants.

The game shutting down like that would make me think it was driver/patch related for that particular error.

Back to the PSU - if opening/cooling the case resolved your errors, then I think a primary issue is overheating. Get a replacement PSU - either from the retailer or Antec. Install, close up the case and play...

Still test out your memory and do the other things I suggested just in case... :wink: