Intel P4 640 (3.2ghz) & CPU-Z shows 2800 MHZ?

goahead

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hello

I am not very familiar with this..I have build my sistem a few months ago, but just today I checked my CPU+RAM with the cpu-z-133 and..well, I was kinda worried, cause I see my CPU is running at 2800MHZ ? And I have 3.2ghz ?
My CPU is a Intel Pentim 4 460 (3,2ghz) I use stock cooling for this.

My question - is this normal ? Should I worry about this ? Could it be a heat problem ? I am not sure, I do not think it's a heat-problem - my system idles at 37C, and 57 at full load. Now I have 41C, and CPU-Z says "Core Speed 2810.i MHZ" Is this normal ?

I would appreciate if I could get some good answers about this...

Thanks in advance.
Rob.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
You should not be worried, it is normal. It is the result of C1E and EIST kicking in when CPU is idle, something similar to AMD's Cool'n'Quiet.
If you want to disable that feature be sure to disable both C1E and EIST in BIOS.

Scorched

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Hello

I am not very familiar with this..I have build my sistem a few months ago, but just today I checked my CPU+RAM with the cpu-z-133 and..well, I was kinda worried, cause I see my CPU is running at 2800MHZ ? And I have 3.2ghz ?
My CPU is a Intel Pentim 4 460 (3,2ghz) I use stock cooling for this.

My question - is this normal ? Should I worry about this ? Could it be a heat problem ? I am not sure, I do not think it's a heat-problem - my system idles at 37C, and 57 at full load. Now I have 41C, and CPU-Z says "Core Speed 2810.i MHZ" Is this normal ?
Rob.

You will not lose MHZ from overheating.

First thing I would do is verify your CPU speed in your OS by right clicking my computer and then properties.
Second I would verify your actual processor I don't think Pentium 4 460 is a valid cpu. is that a typo?

There is a pentium 4 640 perhaps this is your processor.

FSBXMultiplier=cpuspeed 800X4=3.2GHz
your system would need a 700FSB to attain 2.810GHz. or 175.625 Quad pumped.

goahead

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
First of all, thank you for your fast reply, levicki.

So, that means I do not need to worry ay all. I just checked - and noticed that when I put the CPU on "a stress", with CPU-Z open, I can see that the core speed is getting higher...

Well, I am not sure how to disable that, but I'd better leave this setting enabled in the bios, it's beter this way I think.

Thanks again.

Rob.

goahead

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yes Scorched , it is the 640 generation..
sorry, was my mistake.

"My computer" says 3.2 GHZ.

So, I think it is normal...I guess...

Thank you for your answer.

Rob.