Is dual core worth it for gaming?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Games
  • Dual Core
Last response: in CPUs
April 3, 2006 6:00:48 PM

I'm about to order a new PC but i'm unsure whether to go dual core or not. For the price of a Athlon 4000+ I could get a X2 4200+.

But with single thread games the X2 lags far behind the price equvilant singlecore equivilant benchmarks . 199.4 FPS with the 4000 and only 179.4 with the X2.

I'll be playing alot of Oblivion and BF2 which are both single thread applications. Is it worth the lowered performance for future multi thread games? Are games such as Crysis and Stalker going to be multi thread?

Thanks jono

More about : dual core worth gaming

April 3, 2006 6:14:45 PM

First of all, dual core is the way to go IMO.
Secondly, the X2-4200 can easily be overclocked to compensate for those ever so precious lost frames :roll:

Games these days are graphics intensive meaning, the better the graphics card, the better the game will play. Whether you have the 4000 or the X2 4200, it really won't make a difference as long as you have a good graphics card.
April 3, 2006 6:22:21 PM

Remember that your computer is an investment that you will use over time. Game will be slower now on the dual-core. But later (perhaps even this year) when games are written for mutliple cores your Athlon X2 will be kicking butt and taking names.
Related resources
April 3, 2006 6:22:53 PM

Quote:
Secondly, the X2-4200 can easily be overclocked to compensate for those ever so precious lost frames

You can't OC the 4000 to maintain the performance gap?

Jono
April 3, 2006 6:32:15 PM

You can certainly overclock it but IMO, it would be worth more to overclock an X2 or Opteron instead.
April 3, 2006 6:43:03 PM

Sure you could OC the 4000 but then you have to wonder how it will hold up in the future with dual core games.

If you are weighing the advantages and disadvantages for the future, then i would say go dual core. There are even a few games that have released dual core patches to narrow the gap between its single core counterpart.

The difference in FPS for your 1st comparison would have something to do with the fact that the 4000+ is a 2.4ghz and the X2 4200+ is 2x2.2ghz. If you bumped the X2 4200+ up to a 4600+ or a 4800+ which are both 2.4ghz, then the comparison is less than 10 fps, and at 199fps vs 189fps, if you can tell the difference, then you are a better man than me, lol.
April 3, 2006 7:08:15 PM

Quote:
The difference in FPS for your 1st comparison would have something to do with the fact that the 4000+ is a 2.4ghz and the X2 4200+ is 2x2.2ghz. If you bumped the X2 4200+ up to a 4600+ or a 4800+ which are both 2.4ghz, then the comparison is less than 10 fps, and at 199fps vs 189fps, if you can tell the difference, then you are a better man than me, lol.

Aye aye I take your point but I compared them because they're similar prices. Getting a 4800 will cost just under twice a Athlon 4000 :(  .

I'm considering Ebaying it off and getting a Conroe next year.

Thanks jono
April 3, 2006 7:54:21 PM

I don't think that it is worth it. For the price/performance right now, they are a little too much. No games that I know of can use a dual-cores full potential, and probably won't be able to for awhile. Atleast until Vista is released IMO. Game developers will lose a lot of consumers when they try to sell games specifically for dual core. Not every kiddy on the block can afford one. I was in your same situation about 5 months ago. I purchased an Athlon 3700+ San Diego Core. Why? Cheaper, faster, and I knew I would be upgrading in about a year or so when games actually use it. I think that the hardware is a little too fast for software. It took Microsoft a long while after 64-bit CPU's were released until they created the O/S for it. I think it will be the same with dual-cores.
April 3, 2006 8:04:40 PM

Just FYI, Oblivion IS multithreaded. It rocks on dual cores. However, most games are not. I'd be willing to bet that in the near future, as real physics in games becomes more common, you'll see some solutions that'll use the second core for physics.
April 3, 2006 8:10:40 PM

Hey Randy77, lemme ask you something and forgive me first of all for asking this in the wrong thread but uh, how is oblivion and, is it a MMORPG? I just heard about it the other day and haven't had the chance to really look into it.

Thanks in advance
April 3, 2006 9:02:57 PM

Dual core won't give you more frames per second, but it can help prevent your rig from crashing.
Case in point, the new Bethesda game, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
I had largely disappeared from this forum (anyone notice?) because I've been hanging out at The Elder Scrolls Forum instead recently.
One common complaint about Oblivion is that it will crash while closing out the main menu -- in other words, it's 3 a.m., you're tired of playing , save your game and click on the tab to end the program ... and it crashes.
That's a lot better than the previous TES game, Morrowind, which had a nasty habit of crashing to the desktop at random points in the game. But still, any crash is annoying.
Anyway, most of the posters who experience this problem seem to be playing on single-core processors.
I've been playing for more than a week now and have yet to experience this problem on my system -- based on an X2 3800+ dual core.
Can't say with 100-percent certainty that it's the dual core that's kept me from crashing, but that would be my guess.
April 3, 2006 9:12:59 PM

Luminaris, TES IV: Oblivion is only a single player game. They did a very good job with it, as they only focused on the single player aspect instead of both. And not to mention all the mods that will be released for free, almost like endless gameplay. It was well worth the $50.
April 3, 2006 9:23:45 PM

Quote:

Aye aye I take your point but I compared them because they're similar prices. Getting a 4800 will cost just under twice a Athlon 4000 :(  .

overclocking the x2 4200 to the speeds of the 4400-4600 would be another option, as opposed to forking out the money for the actual thing. a small overclock can bring you to the the same speeds as the 4400-4600. i'm running an x2 3800 oc'd to the stock speeds of the 4200 on stock voltage. *i've gone as high as 2.7 with 1.5 vcore.*

if you're looking for longevity, then a dual core would be the better route. consider it an investment as someone stated earlier. while the software market is slim for multi-threaded and dual core specific applications and games right now, that will definitely change in the coming months/years. think of all the software thats in development now that we havent even heard of yet, that utilizes the above technologies.
April 3, 2006 9:32:59 PM

Yeah, the mods are what made Morrowind what it was, and Oblivion is shaping up the same way. The game has only been out for about two weeks (released in U.S. March 21) and already numerous mods have been released by gamers on the Oblivion forums.
Morrowind was released with a consumer-friendly, simplified version of some of the same tools used by the game's programmers. Called The Elder Scrolls Construction Set, it allowed you to do almost anything you could imagine.
Morrowind came out more than three years ago and people are still playing it because the mods added so much new content.
The Construction Set did not ship with the Oblivion game disk, but can be downloaded for free from several forums, including Gamespy.
So far, most of the mods for Oblivion have been simple game tweaks. A number of ambitious projects have been announced, though, and in accordance with the Bethesda legal agreement, these have to be shared for free.
About the game:
Like its predecessor, Morrowind, Oblivion is non-linear. You start out with a main quest ("Close shut the gates to Oblivion"). But you can ignore the main quest, or complete portions of it according to your own schedule. I've been playing for more than a week now and I've only completed the first step in the main quest.
I've been too busy exploring bandit caves and dungeons, clearing goblins out of abandoned forts, collecting rare plants to create magic potions, and completing some of the hundreds of side quests associated with the various factions in the game.
It also has many, many surprises. Don't want to spoil anything here, but there's one quest that happens by accident -- if your character stops to sleep in one particular inn, you'll wake up somewhere else and have to complete a quest to get back home.
So far, I give the game a 9 out of 10.
April 3, 2006 9:44:24 PM

As far as I am concerned they are worth it. I hate when that random virus scan hits in the background and crashes my game whilst I own. I wouldn't say companies will lose customers by implementing dual core support. Aegia was talking about how games will have the ability to be played with or without their PPU ... not just one or the other...
April 3, 2006 10:05:06 PM

My 2 cents worth. Get a Dual Core Optie!!! May cost a little more, but your OC is gonna be worth it. Plus it will be futureproof!! Or atleast futureresistant!!
April 3, 2006 10:25:02 PM

Thanks man. I gotta quit being cheap and go get it. I heard that game rocks but you gotta have horsepower to play it. Should be interesting to see how it plays on the dually opteron :lol: 
a b 4 Gaming
April 3, 2006 10:34:05 PM

Like other said, not many games utilize dual core today but will tomorrow.... and in the meantime, windows and all my other apps are a lot snappier on a dual core.
April 3, 2006 11:31:29 PM

Quote:
Just FYI, Oblivion IS multithreaded.

Oooo wasn't aware of that. I guess I can go to a 4400, but only to the 4600 if I only go for 1 gig of ram instead of 2. Would it be better to have a 4400 and 2 gig or RAM, or a 4600 and 1 gig of RAM?

Thanks a bunch all
April 3, 2006 11:50:42 PM

It sounds like a lot of people have answered already, but I thought I'd add... the game is awesome. It isn't an MMORPG, but it is an RPG, and you can still lose plenty of time in it. Trust me on that one. :-) Check out www.elderscrolls.com for some video and screen shots.

In response to another message: it's really cool to be able to render video WHILE playing a game like lord of the rings battle for middle earth, with no noticable slowdown. So even if a program doesn't take advantage of dual cores, it is still very nice to have.

And in response to yet another message: Oblivion does crash when I exit, and I have a dual core system. Crashing on exit doesn't bother me too much, but it is still weird.
April 3, 2006 11:56:37 PM

Definitely go for the dual core - get a 2GHz one (whatever it's called-I bought the opteron 170) and overclock it. Mine runs at stock voltage at 2.6 GHz...overclocking 200 to 400 MHz is easy with one of these - i've even had mine up to 2.8 on a cheap asrock mobo. I'd get the 2GB RAM and a dual core. As for the dual cores being expensive...you can get an opteron 170 and mobo for the price of a dual socket 940 mobo without processors or RAM. Not to mention turning your proc into an FX-60 for less than half the price feels pretty darn good. One of the better computer hardware upgrades for sure...it also breathed new life into my 6800 GT - basically turned it into a 7800 GT as far as benchmarks go and the gameplay is much smoother.
April 4, 2006 12:11:42 AM

First of all, your brain cannot process anything above 30 fps, any extra is fine but not needed and second of all i would go with the dual core, i have my 4000+ overclocked at 2.8GHz and i saved about $700 when i bought it compared to a FX-57 and one i get a water cooling system i will easily be able to get a stable 3.0GHz , so yes you can overclock to good amouts, the 4000 at 2.8 is a 16.667%overclock so that is good and i know you can easily get a dual core to do that, i think you should go with a OPTY 170, my friend just bought one, it is cheaper then a 4200 which we also looked at and it overclocks much better.
April 4, 2006 12:23:40 AM

Quote:
First of all, your brain cannot process anything above 30 fps, any extra is fine but not needed and second of all i would go with the dual core, i have my 4000+ overclocked at 2.8GHz and i saved about $700 when i bought it compared to a FX-57 and one i get a water cooling system i will easily be able to get a stable 3.0GHz , so yes you can overclock to good amouts, the 4000 at 2.8 is a 16.667%overclock so that is good and i know you can easily get a dual core to do that, i think you should go with a OPTY 170, my friend just bought one, it is cheaper then a 4200 which we also looked at and it overclocks much better.

Wrong, the brain can detect much faster than 30 fps, that number is used since TV standards determined that fps was needed to make flicker free TV/films.
In gaming, generally anything under 60 fps is detectable performancewise, and 50fps is the majic number you would like to have as a min frame rate with eye candy on, imo.
April 4, 2006 12:37:37 AM

I'd say go for dual core! By the way, I just hopped over to look at those Oblivion screenshots and OH MY GOD. :p 
April 4, 2006 1:59:48 AM

I have an Intel 2.8Ghz Northwood, s478 with 512kb L2. At work, I just go my hands on an Intel 920, I'm using it on an Asus 945 chipset, and a 6200 PCIe.

Oblivion on my PC runs like crap, doesn't actually run at all, that is because of my video card, tho. But, looking at the loading times, the loading times between my Intel and my office's, the 920 absolutely blasts my comp out the sky.

IT IS really much faster to load scenes and games on a Dual core, IMO.
April 4, 2006 2:04:45 AM

Quote:
I have an Intel 2.8Ghz Northwood, s478 with 512kb L2. At work, I just go my hands on an Intel 920, I'm using it on an Asus 945 chipset, and a 6200 PCIe.

Oblivion on my PC runs like crap, doesn't actually run at all, that is because of my video card, tho. But, looking at the loading times, the loading times between my Intel and my office's, the 920 absolutely blasts my comp out the sky.

IT IS really much faster to load scenes and games on a Dual core, IMO.
Its true, AMD's and Intel's "dual cores," (for the sake of simpler conversations, just call it dual core for god sakes!) got serious muscle compared to their single cores.
April 4, 2006 2:47:18 AM

Quote:
Just FYI, Oblivion IS multithreaded.

Oooo wasn't aware of that. I guess I can go to a 4400, but only to the 4600 if I only go for 1 gig of ram instead of 2. Would it be better to have a 4400 and 2 gig or RAM, or a 4600 and 1 gig of RAM?

Thanks a bunch all

I would get the 4200 with 2 gigs of RAM and if you want, overclock is to match the speed of the 4400 or maybe even the 4600. This way, you can spend more money on better graphics.
!