SIP DEVICES for KIOSKS

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 17, 2004 3:53:00 PM

I have a Kiosk environment that operates like a roadside assistance
kiosk on a highway.

At the moment I have analog devices in the field connected to a PBX on
which I run a call group that forwards all calls from the kiosks to a
hunt group.

I want to change this all to VOIP and probably want to use a SIP
device that will handle all the encoding etc BUT I want to get rid of
the PBX and I don't want to use Asterisk, in fact I don't want to use
a PBX at all.

Anyone done this before or have any ideas ?

CJ

More about : sip devices kiosks

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 12:28:36 AM

Clinton <clinton.jones@tideworks.com> wrote:

>I want to change this all to VOIP and probably want to use a SIP
>device that will handle all the encoding etc BUT I want to get rid of
>the PBX and I don't want to use Asterisk, in fact I don't want to use
>a PBX at all.

How about using VOIP phones (or ATAs) that can be configured to dial
a specific number automagically when the handset is lifted. Then rent
multiple VOIP accounts with your preferred supplier and configure each
phone to register with your VOIP provider using one of those accounts
each.

If your VOIP provider has a gateway to the PSTN then the auto-dial
number can be any number you like, if not then you will need a VOIP
account yourself to receive the calls.

All of this assumes that your kiosks have 'Net access plumbed in.

You don't mention which country you are in, or more importantly which
country the destination number is in, so I can't suggest a suitable
VOIP provider. If in the UK then I'd recommend InterViVo but then I
would because I work there. :)

Cheers,

Mark.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:35:08 PM

Depending upon what you are doing and what signaling
you may need to get from the kiosk you might try the
following.

Set the device in the kiosk (handset, ata w/analog phone,
IP phone or soft client) to call 'hunt number'@'gateway address'
then configure your gateway to only accept connections from the
kiosks and forward calls out a voice port to the 'pstn'.

For example if your IP-PSTN gateway is IP address 1.1.1.1 and
hostname blackhole.myworld.net and the hunt number is
1-800-123-4567. The the kiosk would call 18001234567@1.1.1.1.

The sip uas on 1.1.1.1 would have dialpeer statements that
forward these calls to the appropriate destination telephone
number.

We do something like this for IP based calls between network
closets. Works well for what it does.

good luck.

Clinton wrote:
> I have a Kiosk environment that operates like a roadside assistance
> kiosk on a highway.
>
> At the moment I have analog devices in the field connected to a PBX on
> which I run a call group that forwards all calls from the kiosks to a
> hunt group.
>
> I want to change this all to VOIP and probably want to use a SIP
> device that will handle all the encoding etc BUT I want to get rid of
> the PBX and I don't want to use Asterisk, in fact I don't want to use
> a PBX at all.
>
> Anyone done this before or have any ideas ?
>
> CJ
May 18, 2004 8:19:50 PM

I am in the US but actually something like the closet to closet calls
is exactly what I am looking for. The kiosks don't need to do a
break-out to the PSTN, we are simply using the PBX because it is easy
to use for creating hunt groups, if we can get a router to do that,
then even better! This is all LAN traffic....
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:43:02 PM

Give it a try. It should work. The trick will be getting the
router to do what you want with the incoming call.

!