Sign in with
Your question

Question for someone who knows about the future of AGP

Last response: in Overclocking
April 3, 2006 8:42:51 PM

I know that PCI-e has taken over the market for GPUs, but what of the future for AGP? I definitely do not want to get a 7800 GS, due to the fact that it is the first in line for AGP's round two.

Basically my question is: does anyone actually know if there will be more AGP cards released, or are they ending with the 7800 series? Please do not answer if you do not know (I don't want simple opinions).

Please feel free to add your educated opinions as the first responder did. (I wasn't trying to sound like an ass by saying I didn't want opinions, but rather was trying to keep the post count to a minimum)

Thanks !

More about : question future agp

April 3, 2006 9:16:33 PM

I don't think you will get a Yes/No answer on this one. As most people don't know what the graphics supergiants are up to, and those who do normally have Non-disclosure agreements stopping them from answering.

That being said, based off my knowledge I would say no.

I am saying that because you have to look at the MoBo manufacturers products (and how it is increasingly difficult to find AGP based boards). And two, the bandwidth supplied by the 66 MHz bus is starting to get maxed out by the communications between GPU and CPU. the extra 34 MHz of BW helps a fair deal. Also, PCI-E seems to scale much better than it's AGP counterpart.

But this IS an opinion, but it is an educated one. Take it as it is.
April 3, 2006 10:14:09 PM

Like Penguin says, no one KNOWS what will happen. I would make an informed speculation that AGP cards will be around for a good while yet, but gaming AGP cards will end relatively soon. In the case of nVidia, the 7800GS is probably the last one.

Direct quote from the story on the 7800GS:

Quote:
ATI commented that it will not be adding any cards to its current AGP lineup; if there is a large demand, ATI expects its card manufacturing partners to fill the need. Nvidia had commented in the past that it was also not looking to expand its AGP product line, but shook up the AGP world with the release of the 7800GS.

And they said that this thing should get you through the next 9-12 months. I expect an 8xxx series card before that happens (aka the end of the year-ish) and I highly doubt that there will be an AGP variant of that one. The market just isn't there for it.
Related resources
April 4, 2006 1:38:10 AM

8O . o O (I ever wonder.. if they would make a dual GPU core for AGP)

:p  . O O <(NAAAAaaaaa, but I can dream, can't I?)
April 4, 2006 10:32:03 AM

The words "future" and "AGP" don't quite sound right together. ATI and nVidia probably won't release any more AGP cards. They'd rather have people upgrade to a PCI-E motherboard so that there are more potential customers for their latest and greatest cards.
April 4, 2006 10:41:19 PM

Thank you for your educated opinions (I guess that's what I was really aiming for). Most of what everyone has said definitely makes sense. Obviously there isn't MUCH of a future for AGP, but I'm sure many can agree, that there are TONS of AGP systems out there that still can handle even the best of today's games at max graphics. That being said, I was hoping that there would be a small market in the future. It would definitely still be profitable for a couple years at least. Not everyone goes out and buys a new computer every two years. I would think most (even enthusiasts) wait around 5 years, while upgrading during that period. So...wouldn't it take around that amount of time for AGP to completely die (since the release of mainstream PCI-e)?

Just some food for thought.
April 4, 2006 10:48:10 PM

Quote:
I know that PCI-e has taken over the market for GPUs, but what of the future for AGP? I definitely do not want to get a 7800 GS, due to the fact that it is the first in line for AGP's round two.

Basically my question is: does anyone actually know if there will be more AGP cards released, or are they ending with the 7800 series? Please do not answer if you do not know (I don't want simple opinions).

Please feel free to add your educated opinions as the first responder did. (I wasn't trying to sound like an ass by saying I didn't want opinions, but rather was trying to keep the post count to a minimum)

Thanks !

AGP = Dead
April 5, 2006 3:32:44 AM

Is there any evidence backing up this statement, or any actual research? I have a feeling that you are just opening your mouth without thinking...
April 5, 2006 4:09:48 AM

Quote:
Is there any evidence backing up this statement, or any actual research? I have a feeling that you are just opening your mouth without thinking...

AGP is dead because the manufacturers aren't releasing their new high-end cards for it. The 7800GS came out in November (?) and there won't be a 7900 for AGP. ATI hasn't released a high-end AGP card since the X850XT in 2004, and they probably have no intentions of releasing another. There is no dual-graphics platform for AGP; SLI/X-Fire will just become more and more popular with time.

With a 7800GS, one could run the latest games at max settings, but not at 1600x1200, like you could with an x1900/7900. And most enthusiasts don't buy a new system every 2 years, but they do upgrade their current PC, and the AGP to PCIe upgrade is definately worth it. Just my thoughts.
April 5, 2006 4:33:26 AM

I know they won't go away anytime soon. But you are getting towards the end of the line in high end cards. That is not necessarily an opinion just a fact. PCIe is taking over and over the next 2 years AGP will be in very small demand, at least in the highend market. To be quite honest I was surprised to see the 7800GS. And it does seem that there are limitation with AGP given that the specs for the 7800GT and the 7800GS are different but cost the roughly the same. I doubt that we will see a 7900 series AGP since the 7900 is really a polished 7800 to fill time for the next gen card with DX10 due out next year. I know you didn't want opinions so I based mine on trends.
April 5, 2006 4:33:27 AM

There will be more AGP cards coming up. This is fact not fiction. The powers that be have wanted to kill AGP for years now but the simple fact is that the majority of the market is still AGP. People with a brain and who are carefull with there cash will sooner upgrade here and there instead of buying new systems. I recently doubled my ram and got a new video card and my 3 year old power system is screaming once again. It's a matter of money. ATI and Nvidia will not deny the market. AGP is here for at least 2-3 more years. The move to Vista will help kill AGP but not right off, it will take time. Remember that PCI video cards took forever to kill off.
April 5, 2006 4:48:38 AM

Quote:
Remember that PCI video cards took forever to kill off.

exactly. there was crap PCI cards made up to geforce FX series. there will probly be a few more series of cards to have butchered down versions for AGP just as they lingered on for PCI, but of course serious gamers will have PCI express
April 6, 2006 4:01:09 AM

Kmbaron's reponse is exactly the way I feel. As far as the "buying a new system every two years", that was sarcasm :) 

Also, if anyone hasn't seen the specs for the Gainward 7800 gs---it is using a gt chip bridged with 512, yes 512 mb of ram 8O

I think 3rd party manufacturers will continue to take Nvidia and ATI's processors and simply bridge them to support AGP. If there's money in it, they are in it.

I believe that my computer will serve as a good example. Right now, I have an Alienware built well from 2004. Everything is great except of course the video card (5900 upg to 5950 bios). I added another gig of ram to have 2 which helped a lot, but I am in need of a better graphics card. To me, taking apart my Alienware carefully built PC and rebuilding it defeats the purpose of me spending so much money for a well built Alienware. I don't want to change my mother board to PCI-e which would result in me having to buy a new CPU, and RAM probably. If I'm gonna spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars, then screw it, I'm gonna buy the full PC. In the meanwhile I want upgrades that will keep me current because my processor is just fine.

There are millions of people with the same situation=millions of dollars to be made. Btw if any of you have ever compared frame rates in relation to different processors, check out the article on CPU benchmarks. CPUs aren't really affecting graphics, GPUs are.
!