Intel 955 vs AMD FX-60

ShankerXV

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I was wondering, if I was using a AMD FX-60 and switched to teh intel 955, how much of a difference would I notice in gaming. Games like World of warcraft,CoD2, BF2, and others. Would it be really noticeable.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Depends if the game was CPU-limited or GPU-limited.

Assuming the game is GPU-limited (i.e., its the video card that is capping your fps) there will be zero difference.

If the game is CPU-limited then there will be a difference, but probably not a noticeable difference. If you're playing a game that's CPU-limited and its barely playable now, it may make it unplayable - if 40fps is less playable than 42fps.

Note: I don't know of any games that are barely playable on an FX-60...

Mike.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=328&model2=319&chart=51
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=328&model2=319&chart=71
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=328&model2=319&chart=50
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=328&model2=319&chart=68
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=328&model2=319&chart=70
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=328&model2=319&chart=69

Refering To every Game Bench that Toms CPU charts shows. In Most of these the FX-60 is Generations ahead of 955 or the 965 even. So When you want you Can upgrade to a FX-60 but never Downgrade to a 955 or a 965

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Don't do it. You'll see virtualy no difference and if you do it won't be the good kind.

Lol, Yeha i agree. But lols People he's just asking a question not Commiting suiside. Lols Juist read this quote! hahahahahloloohahahaha :lol:

ShankerXV

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The reason I'm asking this is because I plan to buy a system either from dell or alienware. The dell has the intel 955, with dual 7900 GTX while the Alienware will have the fx-60 with a x1900 xtx. Which one should would give me the greatest game performance?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
The Dell more than likely would and the reason is, Dell overclocks the 955 and it has dual cards which will give you more framerates. The Dell may turn out to be cheaper as well.

goahead

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
You should "upgrade" to the Intel 955.

1) - cause it's a good config (2x high-end GPU's)
2) - If you do NOT use your PC just for gaming, Intel preforms better performance in "multi-tasking" .

My advice - go with Intel for desktop-performance.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The reason I'm asking this is because I plan to buy a system either from dell or alienware. The dell has the intel 955, with dual 7900 GTX while the Alienware will have the fx-60 with a x1900 xtx. Which one should would give me the greatest game performance?

Don't buy a Dell/other big name system if you have even the slightest interest in playing games and overclocking a PC. They come with crappy motherboards that don't let you overclock, and power supplies made by no-name-brands. Plus, they rip you off and load your HD with bloatware.

goahead

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
And another thing - someone wrote that it's not worth to "downgrade" to 955 ?

It is, if you use an Asus or MSI 955...exemple, the Asus p5wd2 is the 955 chipset, and the p5wd2-e has the 975 - now, I ask you - what difference is between theese two ? Both MB's have the same features. Theese boards are "almost" identical. The only "noticeable difference, is that the p5wd2-e has the 975xx chipset. And the price, of course. But in performance, i don't think you'll notice a difference.

So, 955 is good, when using a "good-brand" mobo.

Sure, this is just recommended if you are planing to build your own system. :)

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, that's a good point but, I do wanna add one thing, the 975 supports the upcoming Conroe chip. From what I understand, all you would need is a BIOS update to adjust the VRM for Conroes specs. But your right for the most part, no real performance differences other than the 975 does support SLI.

goahead

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
True, but why hurrying ?
The 975 is still "young", you should wait 2-8 months 'till they set up the Bios, and do them "right-to-work".

And another thing, the price - if you wait a few months, you can get it at a good price.
Sure, this is only if you can wait that long. :)

If not, there's always p5wd2 Premium. I don't know, maybe they'll fix a Bios for supporting Conroe chips. I am not sure about 955x and Conroe..but the p5wd2 is currently supporting dual-core cpu's - in other words, it's kinda' future-ready.

You still can sell yout mobo after a few months if you're planing to upgrade to the 975...but as I mentioned b4, try upgrading to the 975 later.

So, now it's all up to you. :)

RichPLS

Champion
If you buy an Intel desktop PC today from anybody, make sure it's foundation consists of a i975X motherboard like either the (second choice) P5WD2-E Premium or (first choice!) PWDG2-WS would be the best pick now... at least for me...
and put a cheap 830 or 930 CPU in it for now, and you get to experiment with all tweaking your overclock till Conroe comes your way... then you will be TweakMaster! :p

morg

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005

2) - If you do NOT use your PC just for gaming, Intel preforms better performance in "multi-tasking" .

wrong wrong wrong, ( friendly ) WRONG

not that i prefer a brand but the actual fx-60 performance DOES better multitasking, better gaming and better overall

the intel 955 is lower in EVERY tests exept for the benchmarks (pcmark,sandra,...) look at the toms hardware chart, you'll see intel higher in almost every benchmark AND lower in every REAL tests...

one exception got my attention, doom III with high resolution/quality...
AND intel 955 is still lower than fx-60... 965 got a slightly higher framerate.

it's still a good point if looking for a conroe...
but if amd's answer in the 5 next months is stronger than the actual intel expectations, you'll have it wrong.

<
summary: don't expect an intel 955 to be better in any ways... it ain't.
don't expect actual motherboard can handle conroe before it's official
you want to compare them, thg chart is up with fx-60, 955ee and 965ee
if you want to go with an intel cpu for another reason, go for it...
intel cpu always have higher score in benchmark than in real work

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005

What an @sshole.

Please, look at the reviews before saying such non sense.

Multitasking

The FX will beat Intel's EE everyday.

...And please, don't come to me with the overclocking crap because it amus[/code]es me that Intel fanboys have to overclock their processors to achieve Athlons performance. :wink:

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

What an @sshole.

Please, look at the reviews before saying such non sense.

Multitasking

The FX will beat Intel's EE everyday.

...And please, don't come to me with the overclocking crap because it amus[/code]es me that Intel fanboys have to overclock their processors to achieve Athlons performance. :wink:

Lol Guess he did'nt look at the Links on Game Benchmarks I showed him for EE 955-966 They clearly show that FX-60 is in a totally different Category From the

Pentium 965"Extremesuperdooper poop your pants and change your adult depends Edition"

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
dont bother with those top of the line processors, games today depend on the gfx card a lot more. for example a game like doom3 the difference between an fx60 and amd 64 bit 4000+ processor is less then 10 frames per second, if u stil want to get something high end though, buy a amd x2 dual core 4800+ or the equiv intel dual core

and the performance diff in games between intel and amd for mid range or high end(not top of the line like extreme of FX), is really low, again going bak the the point that games depend on the gfx a huge amount more then the processor, but ur better off getting a dual core anyways

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
"The FX will beat Intel's EE everyday.

...And please, don't come to me with the overclocking crap because it amus[/code]es me that Intel fanboys have to overclock their processors to achieve Athlons performance. Wink"

I think that the EE is suppose to run at 4.2Ghz.....I mean if dell can support it at that high frequency than it is probably being underclocked by intel. Reason why I don't know, but my guess is it has something to do with their new slogan of performance per watt or something. The truth is that there is no true computer/game enthusiast that will not OC their CPU to see how fast it can go so as far as comparison goes for enthusiast it is fair to compare OC CPUs as long as you OC both of them to their limit.........

linux_0

Splendid

Dell now owns Alienware and I would not recommend either one.

The FX-60 beats the 955 in every meaningful benchmark and also beats the 965 @ 3.73GHz.

You are better off building the system yourself or having a qualified person build it for you.

Dell and Alienware charge 30 - 100% more than the machine is worth for high end systems and servers.

If you do not wish to build it yourself or have it built then get the Alienware it is the lesser of two evils.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I m going to point this out and this is where People get dumb on. By the time Conroe comes out and you get a 955. They will have a new chipset or socket for quad core cpus and amd or Intel 1 to 10% change in speed you cant tell a differnce. Woopie after so many fps you will not notice anything other then what the computer tells you. Which is a little box or numbers on the side saying (65 fps) or (70 fps) Two or 3 years later and newer games use more power you see something like (35 fps) Then yes I can that is the time to upgrade.

1 Do you want to upgrade the 955 to conroe? Which you would not notice a differnce other then loss money in your Pocket book? DUMB move.
2 Do you want to upgrade the 955 to quad core conroe? By this time games should be useing 2x and 4x cpu. Which is a good move. Plus more bang for your buck.
3 wait and see what Amd AM2 comes out view there finding and then buy.

My self I would look at both AM2 and Conroe. Then go ok which one seems better. Then look at prices from the older chips like Amd fx 60 and Intel 955.

I m waiting for Quad cores. For I have two good laptops Intel 3.4 ee Northwood chip by Pro star and Intel centereno duo 1.66ghz by Acer.

Next upgrad will be quad core or when vista comes out.

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
:twisted: I say everyone upgrade and sale me your old parts. Get the best right now you need it.. If you don't get it you'll die. I wouldn't lie to you look Visa, Amex, or Discover just do it.