Your question

AM2 Pricing Announced

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • System Builder
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
April 3, 2006 11:37:19 PM

These are Suggested System Builder Prices so actual manufacturer prices should be about 10% lower.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1601

Pricing is okay at the top-end considering they will be the best performing products at the time of launch, however Intel is really squeezing them on the lower-end dual core market. Taking into account the 10% lower prices, the 950D will be pitted against the X2 4000+ which will make for some interesting competition. The X2 4000+ is a new model too, probably 2GHz with 1MB L2 cache per core. The 940D will be against the X2 3800+ and the 930D will be all alone at $209. The 805D will be there too of course although it'll only last about a month after AM2 launches before the 3GHz 925D replaces it.

More about : am2 pricing announced

April 3, 2006 11:41:35 PM

nice find
April 3, 2006 11:43:11 PM

Quote:
These are Suggested System Builder Prices so actual manufacturer prices should be about 10% lower.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1601

Pricing is okay at the top-end considering they will be the best performing products at the time of launch, however Intel is really squeezing them on the lower-end dual core market. Taking into account the 10% lower prices, the 950D will be pitted against the X2 4000+ which will make for some interesting competition. The X2 4000+ is a new model too, probably 2GHz with 1MB L2 cache per core. The 940D will be against the X2 3800+ and the 930D will be all alone at $209. The 805D will be there too of course although it'll only last about a month after AM2 launches before the 3GHz 925D replaces it.

Those are pretty good prices, flooding the market with tons of varieties of Dual-Core and still Single-Core. Should be interesting to see the prices on Newegg and such probably 10% ABOVE those, lol.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
Related resources
April 3, 2006 11:45:53 PM

agreed. I hope that 5000+ overclocks well, lol. Look at that price difference! I think the first CPU over 1k+ was the FX-57... Shame they just keep getting higher...

~Ibrahim~
April 3, 2006 11:47:22 PM

Quote:
agreed. I hope that 5000+ overclocks well, lol. Look at that price difference! I think the first CPU over 1k+ was the FX-57... Shame they just keep getting higher...

~Ibrahim~

Technically the first CPU IS that FX-62, at least by a large margin, because the FX-57 was $999 MSRP and it lowered the FX-55, and the FX-60 was $1,001 IIRC.

April 4, 2006 12:03:20 AM

Yay, I'm going To buy AM2 with a 5000+ lol i finally have the money to afford the setup and it a 4Shizzle now!. Conroe better like perform better and be overclockable and give Energy efficiency and be Cheaper than the setup i'm thinking about to Sway my Vote from buying AM2 and a 5000+X2
April 4, 2006 12:17:55 AM

lol, okay, you caught me! FX prices seem to resemble the EE pricing, well, most of them...

~Ibrahim~
April 4, 2006 12:30:49 AM

Quote:
lol, okay, you caught me! FX prices seem to resemble the EE pricing, well, most of them...

~Ibrahim~

Yea but only 1 of those CPU's (FX or EE) is WORTH the $$$$, I'll leave you to decide which it is.

April 4, 2006 12:38:30 AM

The EE of course! :lol: 
April 4, 2006 12:54:28 AM

Will people really pay 1k for a processor when the conroe seems like it will easily beat it out and yet only cost 530US?
April 4, 2006 1:14:19 AM

sounds like the core should be made out of a 2 carrot diamond, rather then sand.. err silicon, for 1k....
April 4, 2006 1:22:26 AM

Quote:
Will people really pay 1k for a processor when the conroe seems like it will easily beat it out and yet only cost 530US?

Ahem.....

April 4, 2006 1:46:13 AM

Quote:

Wait, are you dumb? Oh, okay. I'll disregard your comment then.
April 4, 2006 1:50:03 AM

Quote:

Umm. actually he's right
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/11/intel_conroe_to_launc...
Lol. srry for ruining your Bashing but just needed to make sure it does'nt go on too long while the basher is kinda wrong.
April 4, 2006 1:54:45 AM

hey now, no need to get harsh. but can you elaborate? I am not an expert obviously
April 4, 2006 1:58:03 AM

Quote:
Yep, one really has to aprreciate the earlyness which Intel was able to bring out 65nm. Not does it scale much better and being cheaper for low-end, it's also cheaper to produce and they're making more money than they did with 90nm.

I hope that hasn't given Intel too much advantage just yet so AMD can still make more profit and push out 65nm slighly earlier to bring the prices for low-end DC down to the level of Intel.

No! Kasakeh!

April 4, 2006 2:30:09 AM

Quote:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... [/Dr. Evil]

Hahahha, you don't even know what I'm talking about...hehehehe :twisted:

April 4, 2006 4:54:17 AM

Quote:

Umm. actually he's right
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/11/intel_conroe_to_launc...
Lol. srry for ruining your Bashing but just needed to make sure it does'nt go on too long while the basher is kinda wrong.

It seems that I have been proven wrong, my apologies.
April 4, 2006 5:19:55 AM

Quote:

you never know. the kind of people who buy this processor are the kind of people who can afford to buy both.
April 4, 2006 7:54:33 AM

Conroe E6600 2.40GHz = $300 is 20% faster than the atholon X2 5000 = $700..........something just don't add up.....
April 4, 2006 10:15:11 AM

You guys still get it cheap. Here in SA we can get the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ for no less than $460 if you translate it directly. Prices are insane here. I really hope Conroe and AM2 creates a huge price drop in this gen cpus.

Sorry, my bad. Had the wrong price list. They are about $400 now
April 4, 2006 10:47:24 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But I think Conroe (generation) would be the only thing the may influence price drops.

AM2 from what I understand, is a socket form, in order to use DDR2. Not seeing how that would affect AMD prices. Only thing I see there is to get AMD users on a platform designed for newer DDR2 memory.
April 4, 2006 11:07:15 AM

Not wrong at all.

I just think that Conroe might actually influence AMD prices too. Conroe will be the superior(performance and price) cpu when it is released eventhough I hate to admit it. AMD will have to drop their prices at least a little if they still want to be competitive, the FX series is more expensive and does not match Conroe.

I'm just hoping i guess...

I won't have the money to upgrade till the end of the year anyhow so it does not really matter that much to me.
April 4, 2006 11:15:56 AM

maybe a stupid question

Why in the pictures of msi and gigabyte mobos i only see the southbridge? Where is the northbridge?
April 4, 2006 11:42:11 AM

Noone will buy them at those prices. They HAVE TO be cheaper.
April 4, 2006 11:43:18 AM

Quote:
maybe a stupid question

Why in the pictures of msi and gigabyte mobos i only see the southbridge? Where is the northbridge?

:?: :?: :?:
April 4, 2006 12:00:07 PM

Errr.. I thought that is the northbridge? Thought northbridges usually have a heatsink - and sometimes a fan.

Not sure if AMD architecture needs a southbridge. Though, the memory controllers are built into the AMD CPU.

Gawd... to early in the morning fer me.
April 4, 2006 12:16:55 PM

Quote:

The Conroe is 6 months behind the May 15 release.... So yes, they will.
April 4, 2006 12:23:28 PM

That makes the release date mid november... :(  That sucks for the price drop but it is good for AMD. That will give the AM2 a bit more time in the limelight before people will start buying Conroe over the way expensive AM2.
April 4, 2006 12:41:47 PM

Taxes in Germany are going to go up, the German gov is getting sick of supporting AMD I think.

That or they'll start exporting the finest German Booze, free of charge, with each Athlon 64 / Opteron purchase until Socket F.
April 4, 2006 12:43:02 PM

Quote:
Errr.. I thought that is the northbridge? Thought northbridges usually have a heatsink - and sometimes a fan.

Not sure if AMD architecture needs a southbridge. Though, the memory controllers are built into the AMD CPU.

Gawd... to early in the morning fer me.

all skt 939 mobos have north and south bridge and the memory controller which is built into the cpu.

So is there a southbridge in the new am2 mobos or not?
someone who really knows please reply..
April 4, 2006 1:36:10 PM

hehe...these prices look good, but I usually buy behind the tech curve to get the cheap prices :p 

Neither Conroe or AM2 is out yet though.... :cry:  though ebay has them ;)  I think....
April 4, 2006 2:11:33 PM

AMD needs to get their pricing down. I always spend my money in the $170-$300 range and they don't have too many (non-sempron) procs in that range.

AMD is going to have a rude awakening if they don't respond with some low-cost dual-cores. Intel has a (slow) dual-core for <$200.
April 4, 2006 2:40:40 PM

the last Intel chip I had was a P75 but if these prices are right and the performance is even close to what the previews state looks like I will have an Intel under my desk again this fall.
April 4, 2006 6:09:53 PM

Ya know that slow $130 dual core intel CPU is pretty technologically advanced at any cost, plus it overclocks insanely when compared to ratios reached stable and on air using AMD's dual core chips.
April 4, 2006 6:16:09 PM

Interesting prices.... hopefully by then, I should have a job and should have paid off my current pc... which I would probably give to either one of my younger siblings.... but even then, I would wait a few months until the prices fall and more products to support AM2 would be released, and also to avoid the early release bugs which sometimes can occur. Either way... I just can't wait to see some benchmarks, so we can see what the AM2 chips can do up against the Conroe chip, because I'd hate to say it but, if Intel gains the price/performance crown... my next system would become an Intel based system, since I'm a performance whore, not a fanboy :p 
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2006 6:51:13 PM

Does that mean you had K6/2. EEEEWWWWWWW!!!!
LOL
April 4, 2006 7:11:07 PM

I'm disgusted with AMD... they aren't even releasing a better product, for their higher prices :evil:  if they had higher prices and better performance, people might buy them... I guess they are depending on screwing their diehard fanboys for all the milk (cash) they can :twisted:
April 4, 2006 7:17:27 PM

How do you know if the product hasn't been improved? There are no benchmarks on the net to show it. Sure, its been said that DDR2 memory will give a small performance boost, nothing on the actual cpu has been released... so for the time being, instead of being disappointed now, save it for later when benchmarks actually back your statements (or not).
April 4, 2006 7:51:55 PM

That's kind of what I was going to say. Everyone said nvidia's 7900 series wasn't going to be much of an improvement over the 7800 series (same core type) but it was a big improvement and tied up the graphics crown with ATI. So lets wait and see what the third-party benchmarks have to say.
April 4, 2006 8:07:45 PM

Heh... good example. Perhaps Windshear forgot that overall performance isn't completely reliant on memory, otherwise current-gen Intel's would have an edge over current AMD systems.
April 4, 2006 9:00:59 PM

Ok, so what do you think will happen to 939 procs? do you think prices will be cut even more, including dual cores? If so, when do you think that might happen, right when AM2 comes out or a little later?
April 4, 2006 9:52:58 PM

I agree with many disscutants on this topic, AMD will fail more becouse of its prices than becouse of its architecture. Those prices are almost the same as on 1st of Jan 2006, but when we put the difference in prices between th 800MHz DDR2 and 400MHz DDR memory....I think their prices will go down with the appearance of Core architecture chips on the market.
Meanwhile s939 is the best...
April 5, 2006 4:29:46 AM

After reading that doesn't it seem that the author is completely neglecting the conroe when bashing intel for not making a good product. I mean, yea intel struggled with the P4 to keep up and fall short of AMD but in a few months it looks like things could change.
April 5, 2006 5:11:51 AM

Quote:
Conroe E6600 2.40GHz = $300 is 20% faster than the atholon X2 5000 = $700..........something just don't add up.....

Wonder if the motherboards will be priced about the same (Intell or AMD)?
We also have to see what these new CPU really do in the real world.
Sounds like Intel has a price advantage at least on paper.
I wonder if Intel's 20% is based on actual clock speeds?
:arrow: Intel Conroe 1.8GHz to AMD Athlon64 3000+ (1.8Ghz) :?:
April 5, 2006 6:16:47 AM

Quote:
The part I dont understand is, why are the chips going up in price?

Quote:
Noone will buy them at those prices. They HAVE TO be cheaper.

Ya, but look at Athlon XP prices last year. From a low $119 @ A2Z in october, to $300 in december (some venders were listing them for over $500 around Xmas) , to $146 now (prices quoted from Pricegrabber)

WTF, over? A64 and X2 on the market, and prices for the obsolete XPs go up??!!!. The A64 3200 was actually $15 cheaper than the 3200XP in november/december

The answer is simple...supply, demand, and marketeering. Based on what happened with the XP prices last year I doubt everyone whose hoping for a major price war is going to get what they're hoping for, at least not to the extent they're thinking.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!