Sign in with
Your question

Possible Bottlenecks for HDTV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2006 12:19:04 AM

I have been trying to bring my computer up to speed to watch HDTV videos (e.g WMV 9 Series HD videos) - however I seem to get a really bad framereate in the HDTV videos. The sound is fine - it comes out in 5.1 but the framerate only updates every 3 or 4 seconds!! So now I wonder where the bottleneck lies.

Is a Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB AGP card capable of display HDTV material? Even with the latest driver updates I get poor framerate. (I'm using catalyst 6.3 drivers) They have options for adding HDTV Modes in the Control Panel (720p and 1080p) so I assumed it would naturally handle HDTV Videos.

My processor is reasonably up to scratch being an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ backed up with 1GB of DDR266 RAM. My Hard Disk is an ATA133 Hitachi Deskstar 160GB with 8MB buffer. Could this be a possible bottleneck contributing to the appalling framerate?

However my motherboard is an ECS K7S5A which only has an AGP 4x Socket - could this be a possible bottleneck?

What is causing the poor framerate?

More about : bottlenecks hdtv

April 4, 2006 12:36:46 AM

No the R9600P is too slow.

I have tried it way back even with my card clocked at 535/365, and it's not doing 1080P clearly period. 720P is close though, but it does depend alot on source material's encoding and player.

X1K series is a better plan for HD Video, starting with the X1600 for smooth play according to ATi.

edit: and yes your CPU is contributing since the VPU assists the CPU in displaying the image, your CPU just doesn't have the nutz, and your memory is slow too.
April 5, 2006 8:20:24 PM

If the card cannot do HDTV videos why does the catalyst control panel offer to add HDTV desktop resolutions into the Display Properties? :?

If my processor and RAM don't have the nuts to process common HDTV video codecs then what would an ideal configuration be?? 8O It sounds to me like my whole motherboard needs to be replaced as 1GB DDR is the fastest and most amount of RAM this mobo will allow and the processor is the fastest it will allow!! :cry:  With my motherboard at full steam it still doesn't satisfy HDTV requirements so what will :x

At the risk of ATi fanboys flaming me like an arsonist (humor is not my strong point) :lol:  What is the minimum spec Geforce card for running smooth HDTV videos at 720 or 1080 progressive scan. Only reason I ask is cos I'm considering buying a PC Bundle which has a Geforce 6600 256MB card bundled with it - the company doesn't like bundling ATi cards :x
Related resources
April 5, 2006 9:32:59 PM

I have an asus 9600xt and i can play any hd video at 720p very smooth without any problems.

my pc specs:
mobo: ecs p4s5a/dx+
cpu: p4 2GHz
ram: 512mb ddr333 (2.5-3-3-7)
hdd: seagate 160GB 7200rpm
etc..

conclusion:
I think that the problem doesn't come from your graphics card...
April 6, 2006 10:21:12 PM

What drivers are you using with your graphics card - mines a 9600 PRO just one down from yours except mines manufactured by Sapphire!!

So what IS the bottleneck then? My AGP 4X slot? My Athlon XP 2000+ processor, 1GB DDR266 RAM, or any other factor you can think of??

StrangeStranger - the specs of the bundle:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=317530

The 350W power supply included I will swap with the 450W currently running my current rig.
April 6, 2006 10:57:02 PM

the bottleneck is your processor/ram. your video card doesn't actually decode the video, it only puts on the screen what your processor tells it to. Until recently video cards were mainly there for gaming, they didn't do much for actual video as far as accelleration except deinterlacing and stuff. ATI is only supporting HD video accelleration with their x1000 series and newer, and I think you have to have a special decoder for it to work, I don't know what NVidia is doing.

If you want to check that it's maxing out your processor, cntrl alt del and check processes. When your playing a HD video your processor is maxed out and possibly the ram.
April 6, 2006 11:27:02 PM

Quote:
If the card cannot do HDTV videos why does the catalyst control panel offer to add HDTV desktop resolutions into the Display Properties? :?

Simple, they are allowing you to do 2D text editing, surfing and such at HDTV resolution. Why do they of 20x15 to FX5200, R9200, X300 and GF6200 users? It sure isn't for gaming!

Quote:
If my processor and RAM don't have the nuts to process common HDTV video codecs then what would an ideal configuration be?? 8O

According to ATi a minimum of an X1600 will take most of the load off of the CPU, the X1300 will help alot but they recommend the X1600 (probably partially because it's more money) for harder files (like 1080P T3).

Quote:
It sounds to me like my whole motherboard needs to be replaced as 1GB DDR is the fastest and most amount of RAM this mobo will allow and the processor is the fastest it will allow!!

Wait a moment, your MoBo is FSB 133? Then you can use an XP3000+ Mobile chip, I recommended one to a friend of mine out east. Worked great. DDR266 is a bit of a drawback though, but perhaps with the faster processor you'll be 'good enough'.

Quote:
:cry:  With my motherboard at full steam it still doesn't satisfy HDTV requirements so what will :x

A new one of course. :twisted:
Unfortunately HDTV is very taxing, but like I said an X1600 will help alot, but it's also a fair amount of coin.Options IMO are get new MoBo/CPU/RAM and keep R9600P or get new AGP X1600/16000P and hope that's enough of a hardware assist to make movie playing relatively smooth.

Quote:
At the risk of ATi fanboys flaming me like an arsonist (humor is not my strong point) :lol:  What is the minimum spec Geforce card for running smooth HDTV videos at 720 or 1080 progressive scan.

Same situation. AGP GF6800 HDTV acceleration is broken, so the GF6600GT is a good starting point but you may encounter the same issues since the GF6600 doesn't accelerat HD content as well at the X1K series, even the GF7800GS may have issues since it's not as geared towards accelerating the video. nV is coming out with newer PureVideo to help HD, and the ATi Catalyst 6.4 drivers will also be adding AVIVO features too. So maybe best to find out what they do for the average cards. I expect some new tweaked review from FiringSquad in the coming days.

Quote:
Only reason I ask is cos I'm considering buying a PC Bundle which has a Geforce 6600 256MB card bundled with it - the company doesn't like bundling ATi cards :x

Well I'd say the accerlation won't be much more than the R9600. Wait for some benchies soon, but I think at least the XP3000+ mobile is likely to give you the most improvement up front.
April 6, 2006 11:49:35 PM

Quote:
ATI is only supporting HD video accelleration with their x1000 series and newer, and I think you have to have a special decoder for it to work, I don't know what NVidia is doing.

Well I wouldn't say that since the difference between absolutely none (GF6800) and some (X8 series) is still there, small though it may be compared to the X1K series;

Quote:
If you want to check that it's maxing out your processor, cntrl alt del and check processes. When your playing a HD video your processor is maxed out and possibly the ram.

Yep likely both, and I doubt much will help without change.
April 10, 2006 10:50:02 PM

Yup my motherboard is DDR266 - although why would I want to use an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Mobile?? Can't I use a regular flavour XP
June 11, 2006 10:46:39 PM

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I've just got a Samsung SyncMaster 997MB monitor and naturally bumped the resolution up to 1280x1024 @ 85hz - tried playing HDTV videos and I discovered something amazing

The framerate of the HDTV videos has improved!!! 8O Even with the monitors own Highlight zone III software turned on where it brightens up the video area and really improves it, it still maintains a really good framerate!!

The higher I put the resolution (esp above 1080p) the slightly more it improves - it simply is now as smooth as a webcam on a firewalled slow broadband connection. A Creative X-Fi video which is 720p ran at full framerate whereas 1080p videos ran at the "webcam rate" with no stutters in sound or anything.

How come???? I always thought rule of thumb was that the higher the resolution the worse the framerate - usually applies with 3D!! :?
!