Triple Screen Flying, I've only gone and done it... (long)

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2005 9:25:42 PM

Many thanks to those of you (mainly Quilljar, but he probably doesn't know
it) for those that responded to my inane questions over the last 12-18
months about triple-screen flying.

I finally took the plunge and went down the Parhelia route, having tried the
WideView route but not got enough money/space to build 3 decent spec PC's.

Final set up then is the Parhelia 128Mb 8x, in a homebuilt Athlon XP 3000
with 1Gb DDR400 RAM on an nForce 4 motherboard, running Windows XP Home, and
three LG L1530S 15" TFT's (15ms).

I get 30-32fps in most areas, dropping as low as 12fps in built-up areas.
This is with the default scenery and no add-on's (yet). 12fps sounds low but
is more than flyable. I am using mainly the Virtual Cockpit view, switching
to the cockpit view for landings and taxiing.

Space was graciously (!) donated by my wife, who has sacrificed the cupboard
under our stairs for this "ridiculous" project - the cupboard is 6ft 8inches
high at one end, falling to 2ft high at the other end over a length of just
7ft. It is 4ft wide.

Total cost £1000 sterling, not including FS2004 and the totally amazing
Saitek X52 joystick, both of which I've had for a year or so.

Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so here is one to wet your appetite:

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_32...

As I said, thanks to all - now all I have to do is work out how to find
enough hours in the day to lock myself in the cupboard...

David.
June 24, 2005 9:25:43 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah! d:->))
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:55:18 PM

must look great, however anything below 30fps is unplayable to me, so i
dunno how you deal with 12fps?! :o (

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com

"David Wright" <REMOVEnonewsgroupspam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Many thanks to those of you (mainly Quilljar, but he probably doesn't know
> it) for those that responded to my inane questions over the last 12-18
> months about triple-screen flying.
>
> I finally took the plunge and went down the Parhelia route, having tried
the
> WideView route but not got enough money/space to build 3 decent spec PC's.
>
> Final set up then is the Parhelia 128Mb 8x, in a homebuilt Athlon XP 3000
> with 1Gb DDR400 RAM on an nForce 4 motherboard, running Windows XP Home,
and
> three LG L1530S 15" TFT's (15ms).
>
> I get 30-32fps in most areas, dropping as low as 12fps in built-up areas.
> This is with the default scenery and no add-on's (yet). 12fps sounds low
but
> is more than flyable. I am using mainly the Virtual Cockpit view,
switching
> to the cockpit view for landings and taxiing.
>
> Space was graciously (!) donated by my wife, who has sacrificed the
cupboard
> under our stairs for this "ridiculous" project - the cupboard is 6ft
8inches
> high at one end, falling to 2ft high at the other end over a length of
just
> 7ft. It is 4ft wide.
>
> Total cost £1000 sterling, not including FS2004 and the totally amazing
> Saitek X52 joystick, both of which I've had for a year or so.
>
> Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so here is one to wet your
appetite:

> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_32...
>
> As I said, thanks to all - now all I have to do is work out how to find
> enough hours in the day to lock myself in the cupboard...
>
> David.

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:27:04 PM

Adam, That looks teriffic! Congratulations.
I think the three flat screens will work very well. You must show us some
more pics soon.
BTW, using MGrab the screengrab will give you a seamless long picturere
without the screen frames when you wish to try that.

Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
June 24, 2005 11:06:48 PM

David Wright wrote:

> Total cost £1000 sterling, not including FS2004 and the totally amazing
> Saitek X52 joystick, both of which I've had for a year or so.
>
> Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so here is one to wet your appetite:
>
> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_32...
>
> As I said, thanks to all - now all I have to do is work out how to find
> enough hours in the day to lock myself in the cupboard...
>
> David.

Looks very nice. I am getting closer to 3 monitors. Am now using 2
monitors at 32% zoom which gives me a wider view. That along with
Maxivista on my P133 used for moving map, radios, and GPS. With the
Maxivista screen I have some bad frame rates because I fly so low in
some add-on mesh and scenery.

Had a VET appointment today for 2 of our dogs needing annual
vaccinations and the 2 year heartworm test. They say heartgard <---
actual spelling) is not 100% effective so all dogs and cats must have a
test every 2 years. Both were negative, that's good.

On the way home I casually told Gabriella I needed something for the
computer and it would cost a couple grand. I mentioned I was looking at
some head mounted displays and what makes it a good deal is it projects
a TV image to what looks like a 70 inch screen. So not only could I use
it on the computer, but could watch TV too, allowing her to sleep while
I surfed the channels.

Joel, where are you?
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 24, 2005 11:11:01 PM

Apologies to those who've already heard me say this elsewhere, BUT, now you
just need CRTs and a pair of shutterglasses ;o)
Now that would be cool :o ) (Mind you, I've already tried this - but using
my projector....!)
*I* think it is worthwhile.

"David Wright" <REMOVEnonewsgroupspam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Many thanks to those of you (mainly Quilljar, but he probably doesn't know
> it) for those that responded to my inane questions over the last 12-18
> months about triple-screen flying.
>
> I finally took the plunge and went down the Parhelia route, having tried
the
> WideView route but not got enough money/space to build 3 decent spec PC's.
>
> Final set up then is the Parhelia 128Mb 8x, in a homebuilt Athlon XP 3000
> with 1Gb DDR400 RAM on an nForce 4 motherboard, running Windows XP Home,
and
> three LG L1530S 15" TFT's (15ms).
>
> I get 30-32fps in most areas, dropping as low as 12fps in built-up areas.
> This is with the default scenery and no add-on's (yet). 12fps sounds low
but
> is more than flyable. I am using mainly the Virtual Cockpit view,
switching
> to the cockpit view for landings and taxiing.
>
> Space was graciously (!) donated by my wife, who has sacrificed the
cupboard
> under our stairs for this "ridiculous" project - the cupboard is 6ft
8inches
> high at one end, falling to 2ft high at the other end over a length of
just
> 7ft. It is 4ft wide.
>
> Total cost £1000 sterling, not including FS2004 and the totally amazing
> Saitek X52 joystick, both of which I've had for a year or so.
>
> Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so here is one to wet your
appetite:

> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_32...
>
> As I said, thanks to all - now all I have to do is work out how to find
> enough hours in the day to lock myself in the cupboard...
>
> David.

June 24, 2005 11:29:10 PM

OK I'm here :o )
If you have a couple of grand, then Itrax2 is the best head-tracker in your
budget. However, for the HMD, you have quite a lot of choice...
For me, a stereoscopic (i.e. 3D) HMD is a must, though some others may not
be quite as bothered (It's a MUST MUST MUST I tell you!! :o )

Examples of what is in the shops (in your budget) check out:

i-glassed SVGA Pro (3D) $1199 (these aren't looking that good anymore) at
the higher end
none 3d glasses & low-res @ 300x200 :o ( $199 (cheap and not very cheerful)
very low end.

BUT... these are new out !!! And comparable, (if not better to the above
i-glasses SVGA Pro 3D)...Icuiti v920 (you can get 3D version, if they're
not all 3D anyway) 26 deg. FOV, 640x480, for $499 (is this for a 3d
version? - regardless I think that is seriously good value, and I'd pay
double that for a 3D version anyway.... don't tell the company that though.)
I've not tried these myself though.

In fact, just check out this web page for an overview (always slightly out
of date info, but it does get updated)
http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm

take care,
Joel

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> David Wright wrote:
>
> > Total cost £1000 sterling, not including FS2004 and the totally amazing
> > Saitek X52 joystick, both of which I've had for a year or so.
> >
> > Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so here is one to wet your
appetite:

> > http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_32...
> >
> > As I said, thanks to all - now all I have to do is work out how to find
> > enough hours in the day to lock myself in the cupboard...
> >
> > David.
> >

> Looks very nice. I am getting closer to 3 monitors. Am now using 2
> monitors at 32% zoom which gives me a wider view. That along with
> Maxivista on my P133 used for moving map, radios, and GPS. With the
> Maxivista screen I have some bad frame rates because I fly so low in
> some add-on mesh and scenery.
>
> Had a VET appointment today for 2 of our dogs needing annual
> vaccinations and the 2 year heartworm test. They say heartgard <---
> actual spelling) is not 100% effective so all dogs and cats must have a
> test every 2 years. Both were negative, that's good.
>
> On the way home I casually told Gabriella I needed something for the
> computer and it would cost a couple grand. I mentioned I was looking at
> some head mounted displays and what makes it a good deal is it projects
> a TV image to what looks like a 70 inch screen. So not only could I use
> it on the computer, but could watch TV too, allowing her to sleep while
> I surfed the channels.
>
> Joel, where are you?
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 24, 2005 11:46:59 PM

erehwon wrote:

> OK I'm here :o )
> If you have a couple of grand, then Itrax2 is the best head-tracker in your
> budget. However, for the HMD, you have quite a lot of choice...
> For me, a stereoscopic (i.e. 3D) HMD is a must, though some others may not
> be quite as bothered (It's a MUST MUST MUST I tell you!! :o )
>
> Examples of what is in the shops (in your budget) check out:
>
> i-glassed SVGA Pro (3D) $1199 (these aren't looking that good anymore) at
> the higher end
> none 3d glasses & low-res @ 300x200 :o ( $199 (cheap and not very cheerful)
> very low end.
>
> BUT... these are new out !!! And comparable, (if not better to the above
> i-glasses SVGA Pro 3D)...Icuiti v920 (you can get 3D version, if they're
> not all 3D anyway) 26 deg. FOV, 640x480, for $499 (is this for a 3d
> version? - regardless I think that is seriously good value, and I'd pay
> double that for a 3D version anyway.... don't tell the company that though.)
> I've not tried these myself though.
>
> In fact, just check out this web page for an overview (always slightly out
> of date info, but it does get updated)
> http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm
>
> take care,
> Joel

I see you already replied, thanks a lot. In my last message it seems I
was looking at some of the pages you recommended. Some of these looked
pretty good but what do I know? :)

If you get a chance, look at the URL's I posted in my last message and
let me know what you think. And thanks for all the info.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 25, 2005 12:58:56 AM

> Adam, That looks teriffic! Congratulations.

'ere, stop congratulating the wrong person!! ;)

David.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:03:55 AM

> must look great, however anything below 30fps is unplayable to me, so i
> dunno how you deal with 12fps?! :o (

Do you really think so? Perhaps it's what you're used to. I spent two years
playing FS2002 on a PC that could only manage 16fps, so 30 is like a luxury
to me! Although like I said, I get 30 most of the time - 12 is an absolute
minimum and only in really dense scenery areas at low altitudes. I spend so
much time looking at the instruments and other panels that I rarely notice
the outside scenery anyway!

D.

> --
> From Adam Webb, Overlag
> www.tacticalgamer.com
> CS:SOURCE server now active :D
>
> "David Wright" <REMOVEnonewsgroupspam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Many thanks to those of you (mainly Quilljar, but he probably doesn't
>> know
>> it) for those that responded to my inane questions over the last 12-18
>> months about triple-screen flying.
>>
>> I finally took the plunge and went down the Parhelia route, having tried
> the
>> WideView route but not got enough money/space to build 3 decent spec
>> PC's.
>>
>> Final set up then is the Parhelia 128Mb 8x, in a homebuilt Athlon XP 3000
>> with 1Gb DDR400 RAM on an nForce 4 motherboard, running Windows XP Home,
> and
>> three LG L1530S 15" TFT's (15ms).
>>
>> I get 30-32fps in most areas, dropping as low as 12fps in built-up areas.
>> This is with the default scenery and no add-on's (yet). 12fps sounds low
> but
>> is more than flyable. I am using mainly the Virtual Cockpit view,
> switching
>> to the cockpit view for landings and taxiing.
>>
>> Space was graciously (!) donated by my wife, who has sacrificed the
> cupboard
>> under our stairs for this "ridiculous" project - the cupboard is 6ft
> 8inches
>> high at one end, falling to 2ft high at the other end over a length of
> just
>> 7ft. It is 4ft wide.
>>
>> Total cost £1000 sterling, not including FS2004 and the totally amazing
>> Saitek X52 joystick, both of which I've had for a year or so.
>>
>> Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so here is one to wet your
> appetite:
>>
>> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_32...
>>
>> As I said, thanks to all - now all I have to do is work out how to find
>> enough hours in the day to lock myself in the cupboard...
>>
>> David.

June 25, 2005 10:01:50 AM

"David Wright"
> If anything, I am thrilled that the space available was just enough - the
> enclosed space just adds to the immersive experience.

Until someone goes clomping up the stairs!

:-)

Seriously, the small room achieves what many cockpit builders are trying to
do with far more elaborate efforts.

Dallas
June 25, 2005 10:12:33 AM

Dallas wrote:
> "David Wright"
>
>>If anything, I am thrilled that the space available was just enough - the
>>enclosed space just adds to the immersive experience.
>

> Until someone goes clomping up the stairs!
>
> :-)
>

> Seriously, the small room achieves what many cockpit builders are trying to
> do with far more elaborate efforts.
>

> Dallas

Back in Germany I got a flight sim for the C-64 where you were always in
spot view mode. My step-son really liked it and I got a large cardboard
box and created an enclosed cockpit for him. He drew some buttons and
switches and went hunting bad guys. Little did I know then that I would
someday think about a box for myself. :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 25, 2005 10:15:19 AM

I find this Head Mounted Display discussion interesting. It would seem to
me to solve the problem that everyone is trying to solve with multiple
monitors and projectors. HMDs with head tracking would seem like a simmers
dream come true.

Except for one conceivable problem... how do you peck at the keyboard when
you can't see through the HMD?

I have strived to make my simming keyboardless with programmable control
buttons and voice recognition, but I still have to reach over and peck on
the keyboard on occasion.

How would one deal with that?

Dallas
June 25, 2005 10:36:35 AM

"boB"
> My step-son really liked it and I got a large cardboard
> box and created an enclosed cockpit for him.

Yeah! As a kid you could give me a commercial toy and it would hold my
interest for 10 minutes... But, if you gave me a big empty box.. like a
washing machine box... I could play with that for a month. :-)

Dallas
June 25, 2005 11:37:09 AM

Does your wife call you Harry now?

A great setup David.The VC across 3 screens is what I had always tried to
achieve and now I have seen the results, tis time to start saving the
pennies for a Matrox (About $750 here in Australia)

Bryan

>> You must show us some more pics soon.
>
> Here are two of the work in progress - just so you can see just how tight
> the space in the cupboard was!
>
> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_20...
>
> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=IMG_20...
>
> If anything, I am thrilled that the space available was just enough - the
> enclosed space just adds to the immersive experience.
>
> D.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:03:29 PM

> I have strived to make my simming keyboardless with programmable
> control buttons and voice recognition, but I still have to reach over
> and peck on the keyboard on occasion.
>
> How would one deal with that?

Dallas

Get yo'self a real Texan loooong pecker - man :-)

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
June 25, 2005 10:01:24 PM

"Quilljar"
> Get yo'self a real Texan loooong pecker - man :-)

I've already got a big willy... now I have to get a long pecker?

:-/

Dallas
June 26, 2005 1:05:40 AM

After some research I have dug up a lot of different views and
information on the Z800 VR Visor. The Visor has not shipped yet so the
sources making the different comments below have opinions on the Visor
after using one at the Electronic Trade Show. I have included some of
the comments I have found from different sources so if you aren't
interested in reading about this HMD, click "next" and bypass this
message :)

A good review for the Z800
eMAGIN Company info, supplies military gear
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-17599-1992-x-x-x

Quite the discussion with pictures here:
http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages/24/3352.html?11...

Lots of comments
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000873043851/

May 19, 2005
Some interesting comments:
Of course it plugs to graphics card using a VGA cable and has dual
monitor support

May 19, 2005
You can wear this heasdet for hours and even while using prescription
glasses and it only runs off a single usb cable connecting to your PC
that powers it

May 19, 2005
They are now taking orders, it costs $900 and delivery starts in 30-60
days time.

May 19
The HMD has a built in noise cancelling microphone and a 360 degree head
tracker

May 19
You will need a card from Nvidia as they support stereovision in their
drivers, if this becomes a big hit, which i am sure will then ATI will
be forced to make sterovision drivers other wise there going to lose big
time as all their customers will flock to Nvidia. You will need a fast
graphics card, but lets talk about it from what i read at CES 2005 in
las vegas in January. People were completely immersed by one of these,
it gives you a 105 inch viweing screen from 12 feet away, so the things
wraps around your eyes and it has been known that you can plug these to
game consoles but only play in 2D mode, but PC games play in 3D
streovision mode which is totally cool

May 19
So VR is finally here to stay, oh and the displays are 800 x 600 with a
42 degree diagonal field of view which is real descent and the highest
field of view on any headset ever released for consumer gaming, this
will be totally immersive.

May 19
Emagin playing Battle field 2 with this online and talking through the
built in microphone and playing in stereovision, moving around with the
HMD in the world while your are on a jeep firing away with the gun
turret with a online player from the otherside of the world controlling
the jeep

May 22
Dexter- you say the industry is moving towards hif def , but recommend
an Icuiti over this Z800? You do realize the Icuiti toy is VGA , right?
With no head tracking? And a cheesy little field of view. It would be
like looing through toilet paper roll I think. LOL. It's not a gaming
HMD - just a viewer just like the dozens of other ones available
already. Which is fine if that's what you want. Not me. There is NO
comparing the features of the Z800 Visor to anything else in the market
at anywhere near the price.

May 22 to 30
Many nay-sayers commenting on perveived problems with the Z800

May 30 - Comment from one who actually used the HMD
Posted May 30, 2005, 11:15 AM ET by youwannatradebutter
The people here who are so desperately harping on about "VOR", "pinching
the nose", and other bashing of a product that hasn't even been shipped
yet obviously are threatened by the Z800 in some way. People who have
ACTUALLY tried it at E3 and last weeks SID have nothing but glowing
things to say about the Z800.

VOR is an overblown concern that nobody in the business takes seriously.
Otherwise, the military wouldn't be using HMDs in mission-critical
training and combat applications.

And for the freaking time, the Z800 simply DOES NOT pinch your nose as
the visor sits atop of your head just like a ballcap. Only a retard with
no visual acuity would keep claiming they pinch the nose.

And some previous poster is correct-- there is NO WAY eMagin will ever
sell "millions" of these. They will sell about more than 10,000 units
this year world-wide, though. A ton of them are going to Japan, Korea,
and Germany.

Posted May 30, 2005, 9:34 PM ET by mm11
I attended E3. I spent about 45 minutes playing with the Z800. I tried
my best to make myself sick. But I could not.

I thought it was comfortable and once you got used to how to center the
headtracker and use the joystick controls it was awesome.

I wish I had more time to use it and did not want to take it off. I did
also wish I could have played a few more games with it.

Here are some pictures and videos I took at E3.

http://hosting.imageevent.com/emagin/e3videos

http://hosting.imageevent.com/emagin/z800pictures

http://hosting.imageevent.com/emagin/quantum3d

http://hosting.imageevent.com/emagin/emagintshirt

http://hosting.imageevent.com/emagin/e3emagin

Posted May 31, 2005, 11:00 AM ET by mm11
I am buying one and I plan to put it through my own tests.

But from my impression at the E3 show I saw how well it worked and how
every single person who put it on smiled.

Even without the headtracker - the 105" screen was amazing to see.

I was very impressed by the construction. It does make you look a little
silly wearing it. But who cares. You are inside the game!

I expect next year's Emagin booth at E3 to be even better.

I am friends with Nolan Bushnell and he was very impressed by the Z800.

53. Posted Jun 1, 2005, 5:33 PM ET by Fred
Studies show that vitual vision can cause dizziness, blurred vision,
nausea and some researchers believe it can even cause brain damage. The
sickness is related to the VOR problem that #36 referred to and that all
VR googles have.

54. Posted Jun 1, 2005, 9:27 PM ET by WoodyHayes
LOL!! That's hilarious, "Fred"! Hilarious!
"Studies show....virtual vision...causes brain damage." You're a comedy
genius. I just know that these "studies" were done by the same research
group that says 4 out of 5 dentists prefer Dentine! Hilarious!

Who writes your material?

63. Posted Jun 17, 2005, 4:33 AM ET by Mark Suchting
Sorry 61 , you're wrong....

The apparent size of the screen is created by the angle between the two
optical axis of the optical system in the glasses for viewing the OLED
panels. If they set the angle correctly so your eyes converge as if they
were looking at a screen 12 feet away , then you'll have the impression
of viewing a 105" screen at 12 foot. This is just part of the slickness
of good headmounted displays.

64. Posted Jun 18, 2005, 8:58 PM ET by habbahabba911
how long would it take for those damn reviews?:)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
July 20, 2005 10:26:38 AM

Ok so has anyone tried out the 3001ad Trimersion HMD ?? and if so how
does it compare to the z800. Both use tracking but I've heard the
Trimersion tracker often gets stuck or you end up looking straight down
when you're trying to see forwards...
The z800 sounds like the go to me... Please please anyone else who has
had any form of feedback on the z880 post here .. I'm looking at
purchasing but $800 US ain't exactly cheap for a struggling uni student
:(

I tried out the VF1X HMD years ago ( 1996 I think) in London and
thought it was fun so I'm sure they've come a long way since then.

Mick
July 21, 2005 2:42:53 AM

banks.mick@gmail.com wrote:
> Ok so has anyone tried out the 3001ad Trimersion HMD ?? and if so how
> does it compare to the z800. Both use tracking but I've heard the
> Trimersion tracker often gets stuck or you end up looking straight down
> when you're trying to see forwards...
> The z800 sounds like the go to me... Please please anyone else who has
> had any form of feedback on the z880 post here .. I'm looking at
> purchasing but $800 US ain't exactly cheap for a struggling uni student
> :(
>
> I tried out the VF1X HMD years ago ( 1996 I think) in London and
> thought it was fun so I'm sure they've come a long way since then.
>
> Mick

Hello Mick. I ordered the Z800 the first week of July and have been
following the progress of the visor even before I ordered. I'm talking
with some others who ordered theirs in early June with an order number
1000 less than mine so it will be a while before I get my Z800. If it
goes too long I may cancel but reading the reviews from the few who have
one I will hang on. Some of the "gamers" who have ordered their Z800
months ago are talking of tethering the wires above their heads so they
can stand, walk down the halls, and kill things in their first person
shooter games. I said before, I will be happy if the Z800 gives a clear
picture and allows me to look around and up and down in FS200x and IL-2.

What I've discovered is the Z800 has a 40 degree FOV which is more than
the current Visors available. But 40 degrees is the same as the Night
Vision Goggles (AN-PVS6) that I flew. It's not much and like the NVG's,
you must constantly be moving your view to keep situational awareness.
That being said, I can live with 40 degrees, I'm used to it.

I also did as much research as I could with available information (God
Bless The Internet) and determined there were only 2 Visors that met my
requirements. I combined all the information and you can see it here:

http://firestone.vze.com/

Also if you want to follow along, and don't mind some idiots flaming
each other, here are a couple places for you to watch.

http://www.stereo3d.com/discus/messages/24/3352.html?11...

http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=l&b...

As for the 3001ad, it won't be available until the 4th quarter and
damned if I can find any useful specs or even a price.

http://www.3001ad.com/homeentertainment.cfm

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
July 24, 2005 11:27:40 AM

Hi Bob,
I was just reading over the table you compiled regarding
the current HMDs available on the market. Nice effort, well done...
The iglasses are well worth looking into if you consider
incorporating the Track IR3 system into the package. I tried a pair of
the iglasses out while in europe about two years ago.. they were the
sony ones with a blue chrome front on them.. can't remember the exact
item name but I think they were the Glasstron range..

Anyway, from my experience wearing them it was quite comfortable, the
FOV was not bad still loads of space on either side of the screen but
it was sufficient. I'm guessing that the FOV of the z800 will be
similar to the glasstron lens setup but alittle bit better quality and
of course the added 3d stereoscopic effect. I hope the stereoscopic
effect is of good quality.. i'd hate to hear that it's more of a gimic
than an advancement in quality.

I've also been following along with the Trimersion HMD seems there
setup is quite good (for the price) but at a lower resolution compared
to that of the z800...

Anyway we'll soon be getting feedback from the 1st shipments sent
out.. that's what we're all waiting for now I guess ...

I was a navy helicopter engineer here in Australia and we often tried
out the pilots night vision helmets so I have a fair idea of the FOV
that the z800 would be currently employed with. Just itching like mad
to try one out though .. lol I'm also not sure whether to hold out
till the higher rez version of the z800 comes out later next year ...
(if it comes out at all that is.. bit of a gamble waiting.. waiting
waiting ....)

Oh, how much longer must we wait for "affordable" VR with a decent FOV
and tracking... comon ... someone get it right foronce please ;)

Mick
!