4 GB + A8N32SLI-DLX BIOS 1103

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I hope this information is helpful and useful to someone.

I've installed 4 GB of Corsair Twinx 2048 3500LLPro on the Asus A8N32SLI-DLX MB running BIOS 1103.

Two 7800GTX 256 MB Video Cards running SLI

AMD 64 FX-60 Dual Core CPU at 2611.9 (not OC'd).

BIOS reports 4096 MB RAM Installed and 3984 MB Usable.

WinXP SP2 "System Info" reports 4096 GB RAM installed with 1.710 GB Available Physical Memory .
(was 2048 MB and 1.41 GB Available Physical Memory before I added the last 2 GB).

System Memory SPD remains at 2,3,2,6 just as it was with 2 GB

Memory Frequency remains 200 MHz just as it was with 2 GB

CPU-Z version 1.31 reports the 4096 MB of memory is still in Dual Channel Mode.

The BIOS 1103 setup I found to yield the best results so far is:
MTRR = Discrete
Memory Hole = Enabled
1T/2T = Auto

Thoughts?

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
So you have 4GB installed and only 1.7GB usable? And w/ 2GB, you had 1.4GB usable? There's definately a setting wrong in the BIOS or Windows (I'd blame Windows ;)) because even if you go by these "experts" theories, 2GB under x86 Windows is all usable.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Mike, you may be right but I've never seen anyone post the "usable", i.e. Available Physical Memory figure under WinXP ...
they generally only report Usable Memory Values from the BIOS screens and those numbers they are getting under the BIOS
display are generally lower than the 3.984 GB value I am getting.

So, until I see someone post a "Usable GB" number ... from within WinXP (preferably from System Information so it will be comparable),
I'm not so sure I am doing all that badly or that you are right about this.

Can you refer me to one of these "expert" posts that actually state real numbers of usable memory under WinXP ... preferably reported
from System Info? I'd love to improve mine if there is a way.

Thanks for your comment.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Mike, you may be right but I've never seen anyone post the "usable", i.e. Available Physical Memory figure under WinXP ...
they generally only report Usable Memory Values from the BIOS screens and those numbers they are getting under the BIOS
display are generally lower than the 3.984 GB value I am getting.

So, until I see someone post a "Usable GB" number ... from within WinXP (preferably from System Information so it will be comparable),
I'm not so sure I am doing all that badly or that you are right about this.

Can you refer me to one of these "expert" posts that actually state real numbers of usable memory under WinXP ... preferably reported
from System Info? I'd love to improve mine if there is a way.

Thanks for your comment.

Well I have 2GB installed in my gaming system and a 3rd GB for my Server is coming...and so far, I can use all 2GB under x86....so yea....something's BIGTIME wrong.

BTW: Windows itself will take 200-300MB itself, but if you go to PROPERTIES of MY COMPUTER, it should say "1.0GB" "2.0GB", etc. and that's what to look for.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Mike,

This is what I see in My Computer [ Properties ]. Is this what you meant?

Computer:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-60 Dual
Core Processor
2.61 GHz, 2.37 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

ge0stuff

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Yep, 2.37GB is how much physical RAM you can use out of 4GB.

You need to switch to either Windows Pro/Server 2003 x64 or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise/Datacenter or Windows 2000 Adv Server to utilize the full 4GB.

He is right... U can't utilize 4 GB in 32 bit platform...

There is, however, a solution, which i don't recommend... U can change a key value in the registry but i don't trust these solutions....

Check here...

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Yep, 2.37GB is how much physical RAM you can use out of 4GB.

You need to switch to either Windows Pro/Server 2003 x64 or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise/Datacenter or Windows 2000 Adv Server to utilize the full 4GB.

Thanks wusy. As I suspected. Actually, I didn't load the additional 2 GB with expectations I'd be able to utilize it under WinXP SP2. I'm glad to see I can use part of it but I didn't expect WinXP SP2 to even see it all (but it does) much less use it all (and it doesn't).

I started this experiment to determine that my A8n32SLI-DLX would handled 4GB OK and to make sure I could still get an exact match for the Corsair I already had installed. And I figured the price of Memory would be going up next spring when demand increases because of VISTA.

Now I have accomplished my goals ... I acquired a good matching 2 GB second Twin Pack of the Corsair from NewEgg and I determined my MB is up to the task of running all 4 GB in Dual Channel mode at 400 MHz with BIOS 1103 and the above mentioned BIOS setting.

For me, I am now comfortable knowing I'm ready for VISTA when it arrives next spring or whenever it does arrive and that, in the mean time, I am getting the "performance" in WinXP WP2 that might be realistically expected.

I appreciate the thoughts and discussion expressed on this forum and I'm finding if I am careful about those they listen to, I can learn much. So I put up my results hoping someone would find them interesting and useful.

kda

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
You make a good point. I don't just want to be able to run VISTA, I also want to be able to enjoy the new graphics capabilities of VISTA, DX 10 and all.

petesmith

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Thanks so much. My OS is Server 2003 Standard and I just applied SP2. I have an AMD 64X2 4200 Dual Core. With your information it is now showing 4GB of RAM at 2.21GHz. PAE. Cheers, Peter Smith :D

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
Reduce your pagefile down to a static(max&min) of 180MB so you can use even more portion of that 4GB RAM.

Actually, the pagefile doesn't occupy any physical memory addresses. So reducing or disabling the pagefile won't help on this issue