Sign in with
Your question

Once in a lifetime opportunity. $12,000 budget for X-Mas 200

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2006 5:52:34 AM

I am in need of some hard core advice please. I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to build my dream machine. My wife is re-enlisting in the air force for another 4 years and part of her bonus money will go to this project. So, my budget cap will be around $12,000. Only problem is that it will have to wait until December or January (I may die of a heart attack waiting with utter excitement by then) I have been an Intel fan forever, but AMD is really kicking in the heat. So… so far I have a few things set in stone
1. RADEON X1900 XTX 512MB x2
2. Turbo-Cool 1KW Power Supply
3. PC-V2100 plus/PC-V2100B plus case (maybe)
4. 2 Lightscribe DVD+rw drives
5. Soundblaster X-Fi

The rest is still up for debate. Do I go with scsi 15k 147 gb drives in raid 0. Or try the sata route instead? Which is really the fastest. Western Digital is sooo damn close in closing the performance gap that I just don’t know anymore.

I also want to use phase cooling. Is asetek the best? Or is Prometeia Mach II GT ?

Also what about peltier air conditioning for the case? Melcor makes some wicked AC units that can bring the PC to almost 0. Melcor AC Unit

And what of condensation inside the pc? I have never dabbled in water or sub zero cooling before, this is the scariest part of this venture…

Now that the cpu is cooled what about water cooling for the video cards and the hard drives….possibly the ram as well? (Ram will be OCZ…loyalty there)

Worst of all…how the heck am I going to fit all this inside a Lian Li PC-V2100 plus case??? Is there bigger that still looks cool?

And will there be a decent Crossfire mobo by then? I do not like asus that much, been burned by them too many times in the past….abit falls in a close second too.

My monitor debate is the easiest. Dell 30” or Apple 30” or Samsung 32” LCD displays?
My wife told me I can do this almost 2 months ago, the research is killing me…a true dream come true for me..heck for anyone for that matter. But it is a real pain in the butt to try to figure out what really would make the fastest home pc in the world for a moment. Having sacrificed my career to be a stay at home dad for the next 5 years has given me an opportunity to really seek these things out, and explore new levels of boredom, trust me changing diapers is not as fun as closing car deals, although it is much more rewarding. But I need to build this to keep my sanity and give me a sense of accomplishment in something other than being a dad, and housekeeper, cook, laundry slave, and dishwasher. So please I need your best advice in which direction to go for some of this stuff. I am goin nutz. Please help an old computer geek.
April 4, 2006 5:59:55 AM

Quote:
Io, my budget cap will be around $12,000

Want the best advice anybody can give? Don't blow $12k on 1 computer, that's extremely stupid. If you MUST spend $12k, build a $3k Gaming System, and a Home Server or 2, and you'd have some cash left over to upgrade to the next AMD-Intel CPU's down the road.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 4, 2006 6:10:09 AM

I hear ya brother, but I already have a server. And a gaming rig, and my son has a gaming pc, and the wife has her Mac. I just want to do this .. just once. I want to take it on the road to a few lan parties and a few shows if possible. I know it's crazy to do so, but why not just once in life build the best you can? Trust me I will be using it to it's potential. I do a lot of video editing. and have been an avid gamer for 15 years, and an mp3 collector junkie. My current rig will become the family entertainment center once this thing is built. Gonna play scrabble, monopoly, life, and pogo games on the HDTV, that way there are no game pieces for the baby to eat. lol
April 4, 2006 6:16:35 AM

Quote:
I hear ya brother, but I already have a server. And a gaming rig, and my son has a gaming pc, and the wife has her Mac. I just want to do this .. just once. I want to take it on the road to a few lan parties and a few shows if possible. I know it's crazy to do so, but why not just once in life build the best you can? Trust me I will be using it to it's potential. I do a lot of video editing. and have been an avid gamer for 15 years, and an mp3 collector junkie. My current rig will become the family entertainment center once this thing is built. Gonna play scrabble, monopoly, life, and pogo games on the HDTV, that way there are no game pieces for the baby to eat. lol

Maybe there's a motorcycle you'd like to restore? Maybe a hobbie to throw cash @? No? Okay then....

1) Go to www.Newegg.com

2) Go under each section (CPU's, Memory, Case, etc.)

3) Click "Add To Cart" on the most expensive item in each category

4) Click "Submit"

5) Feel proud that $12k was just taken away from you for many many pieces of PCB and Silicon

April 4, 2006 6:17:34 AM

If you're going to have to wait until the end of the year anyway, there's no point in planning anything. By then DX10 will be out, as well as socket AM2. The landscape will be completely different.

I think the only way you could possible blow $12000 on a computer would be something with quad GPU, maybe two opty 2xx, or eight 8xx. Maybe get a 34" LCD to boot.
April 4, 2006 6:51:44 AM

If you have 12grand for a pc then go for some 7800 duals in SLi. If someone already mentioned this sorry, but ^that^ is just way too much to read. Holy crap, mad mod mike is right , that is still way too much money for a pc.
April 4, 2006 6:55:01 AM

Also wait for Conroe, conroe may be the way to go later on this year.
April 4, 2006 7:28:15 AM

Planning a PC you're gonna buy in 9 months based on hardware available today :?

Just take a valium and sit down before you hurt yourself in your excitement.

Me, I'd buy a car. I still haven't found a sane person who's spent more than $1500 (that's AUD so like USD$1000) on a single PC... if you do you've been ripped off
April 4, 2006 12:05:08 PM

I'm sane, I think...

I'm buying a $6000 Australian PC :oops: 
April 4, 2006 1:03:35 PM

I'm with Mike. Build a $3000 PC and put the rest in an account for your kids college or something. Or go buy a beat up classic muscle car to start restoring. Don't spend $12,000 on something thats going to be worth $500 in 3 years.
April 4, 2006 1:10:28 PM

Ok, here's my idea. The most I've spent on a single computer is about $5000. But still, I've done som research.

If you were to buy in a near future. Most of these will be "outdated" in a year... perhaps...

Hd: Get like 5 147Gb Raptors in Raid 5 or similar. Security + performance. Take the rest of space you want in external Hds'.

Proc: like 2 - 8 850 (4 - 16 cores) Optys

Vid card: 2 7900 GTX factory overclocked (preferably in a single card that will come with quad sli). And add one PhysX card when it gets available

Ram: Aim for 4 - 16 Gb, 1 Gig per core minimum.

Sound: Audigy2 - X-fi (I have both and I don't feel any difference), complete with Z-5500 or similar, perhaps even greater sound if you like.

Other periferals such as Screen and stuff is up to you. I can recomend G7 and microsoft Ergo 4000.

Cooling: Go with some of aseteks stuff. Either you could go with Lightspeed for extreme overclockability or you could go for a couple of water cooling loops with high performance that's quiet. If you want all of this to be really cool, you should get a custom case. Build it in wood or metal for your exact specs. You have to decide between sound and extreme performance though.

Good luck :) 
April 4, 2006 1:26:45 PM

Hi Steamroller,

Don't mind my saying this. But reading the last part of your message about giving up a career to do housework, then blowing $12K on a PC.

It really sounds to me a little like you're blowing the $12K to console yourself for agreeing to take up the role of a house husband.

Hope I didn't offend you or anyone, it's just that if someone insists on spending $12K on a gaming PC, he's either too rich or just doggone crazy.

:) 
April 4, 2006 1:30:18 PM

Quote:
I also want to use phase cooling. Is asetek the best? Or is Prometeia Mach II GT ?

Also what about peltier air conditioning for the case? Melcor makes some wicked AC units that can bring the PC to almost 0. Melcor AC Unit

And what of condensation inside the pc? I have never dabbled in water or sub zero cooling before, this is the scariest part of this venture…

The condensation issue is real for subambient cooling but there are workarounds if you want to put a big chunk of your budget there. Depends in part on where you live and how high the humidity is.

WRT Peltier, they can work, but the efficiency is very low, meaning that you will add a huge quantity of heat to the surroundings. In winter, this may be welcome but in summer, you will probably need to address the extra heat load to the computer's immediate environment.
April 4, 2006 2:02:32 PM

Invest that money, otherwise... read on:

Don't bother looking too closely, as in 9 months tech is going to change considerably.

Beware of companies building $6,000 machines and asking $12,000

Noise will be an issue, so consider Xeon LV (wait until Woodcrest varient is available) or Opteron HE/EE (for the new Socket F, which is not out yet):
eg: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...

VMware - Start here:
http://www.vmware.com

Consider systems such as:

Tyan - Start here:
http://www.tyan.com

Get a decent EPS12V PSU (forget ATX12V), possibly redundant.

Consider a 3RU or 4RU tall 'case'.

Check out:
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/typhoon_b2881.html
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/typhoon_b5160.html

Boards:
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8sre.html
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tomcati7230a.html

- $12,000 on ONE workstation is a total waste of money, MadModMike is right.

Also note that MadModMike and myself are not always in aggreement. :p 

Perhaps you'll find something you like over at Tyan, perhaps not.

US$12,000 is a significant amount to spend on just one workstation - Too much IMHO.

The video performance will not scale in a linear manner on those systems though, assuming it is even possible to populate each board.

Evans & Sutherland - Start here:
http://www.es.com - They have a 784 Gpixel/sec 3D video subsystem I am sure it out of your price range (read: 50x more powerful than the fastest stuff listed in 3DMark ORB), so perhaps they have something that will run x86 applications using smaller arrays of GPUs.

Sun Microsystems: (?)
http://www.sun.com

Disclaimer: Anything more than $5,000 for a 'workstation' and you're starting to rip yourself off.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2006 2:14:09 PM

"So, my budget cap will be around $12,000."

Give her back $10,000 of it, and build a nice rig for about $2000....

No reason to blow $10k too much for 5% improvement in framerates...
April 4, 2006 2:28:07 PM

Quote:
No reason to blow $10k too much for 5% improvement in framerates...

That about says it. A top of the line computer with awesome components can be had for about $2000-2500 max. Add $1000 for a kick ass monitor, $500 for kickass speakers, $100 for great gaming mouse and keyboard, and you're at $4000 tops.

Anything more is just maybe a tiny percent faster that you won't even see. Remember, anything over 60 FPS you can't even notice with the human eye. 5000 FPS looks the same as 60. Granted with ultra hardcore rigs you start to increase your minimum frames per second but with a $2500 system you can have that. Only way to spend $12,000 on a system building it yourself is to be in gross excess. I priced a kickass dream computer with the best available hardware once (except processor because paying $1000 for a CPU is retarded) and it came to $3000 but that was with 8 hard drives and a 19" LCD(I don't need bigger than that).
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2006 2:33:54 PM

"If you're going to have to wait until the end of the year anyway, there's no point in planning anything. By then DX10 will be out, as well as socket AM2."

Agreed....!

Conroe will be out as well, likely a larger performance step than any AM2 rig anyway....

I still think blowing $12k on a computer borders on being ludicrous...

(Although a 30" Dell 3007 monitor with 2560x1600 resolution would be nice at $2200!)
April 4, 2006 3:04:33 PM

Arent we forgetting about conroe and future intel releases. for all we know AM2 could be the worst flop in history(example)
April 4, 2006 3:06:34 PM

if you want to build this "dream machine", go for it. dont let these other users tell you how to spend the money, or how to invest.
April 4, 2006 3:09:30 PM

Quote:
I am in need of some hard core advice please. I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to build my dream machine. My wife is re-enlisting in the air force for another 4 years and part of her bonus money will go to this project. So, my budget cap will be around $12,000. Only problem is that it will have to wait until December or January (I may die of a heart attack waiting with utter excitement by then) I have been an Intel fan forever, but AMD is really kicking in the heat. So… so far I have a few things set in stone
1. RADEON X1900 XTX 512MB x2
2. Turbo-Cool 1KW Power Supply
3. PC-V2100 plus/PC-V2100B plus case (maybe)
4. 2 Lightscribe DVD+rw drives
5. Soundblaster X-Fi

The rest is still up for debate. Do I go with scsi 15k 147 gb drives in raid 0. Or try the sata route instead? Which is really the fastest. Western Digital is sooo damn close in closing the performance gap that I just don’t know anymore.

Now that the cpu is cooled what about water cooling for the video cards and the hard drives….possibly the ram as well? (Ram will be OCZ…loyalty there)

Worst of all…how the heck am I going to fit all this inside a Lian Li PC-V2100 plus case??? Is there bigger that still looks cool?

And will there be a decent Crossfire mobo by then? I do not like asus that much, been burned by them too many times in the past….abit falls in a close second too.

My monitor debate is the easiest. Dell 30” or Apple 30” or Samsung 32” LCD displays?
My wife told me I can do this almost 2 months ago, the research is killing me…a true dream come true for me..heck for anyone for that matter. But it is a real pain in the butt to try to figure out what really would make the fastest home pc in the world for a moment. Having sacrificed my career to be a stay at home dad for the next 5 years has given me an opportunity to really seek these things out, and explore new levels of boredom, trust me changing diapers is not as fun as closing car deals, although it is much more rewarding. But I need to build this to keep my sanity and give me a sense of accomplishment in something other than being a dad, and housekeeper, cook, laundry slave, and dishwasher. So please I need your best advice in which direction to go for some of this stuff. I am goin nutz. Please help an old computer geek.

your wife is going to risk her life and your building a PC? sad...
April 4, 2006 3:20:42 PM

Rofl.
If $12,000 is your budget of a lifetime, you must live a very sheltered life. :roll:
April 4, 2006 3:22:59 PM

i am happy with my $3000 pc, 12k is stupid...
April 4, 2006 3:39:08 PM

Mine was $1650 and I am very happy. More than $2000 on the computer (w/o monitor) is a waste.
April 4, 2006 4:13:34 PM

I think I would have to agree with most of the posts here telling you not to spend $12,000 on a new rig. I think about $4-5,000 will more than build anyones dream system, anything beyond that is foolish, you would be spending about a grand for every 1-2 fps after that. And the fact that there are so many changes coming to CPUs, Graphics cards and OS this year you might as well flush your wallet down the toilet for all the good it would do to spend that much.
I would do what Mad Mod Mike suggested ....spend a little less now and spend more a little later to upgrade everything, you'll get more bang for your buck and you won't have to blow all that dough on a system.
Invest the rest or spend the money so everyone can enjoy it (like a nice vacation with the family somewhere if you want to do something silly with it). Otherwise at least wait for 5-6mos. to get something that will hold up longer performance wise.
Thats my two cents anyway.
April 4, 2006 4:19:45 PM

I think this is an extremely pointless post... if he was asking what to buy next month... maybe... but in December?!? No way... no one should be offering any purchasing recommendations. Products due to be released December 2006 are pure speculation at this point.

As far as the $12k budget goes... that's just retarded. The performance difference between a $1000 PC and a $3000 PC is HUGE... the performance difference between a $3000 PC and a $12,000 PC is minimal.
April 4, 2006 4:25:41 PM

Beating a dead horse here but, I concur. Build yourself an insane setup for $5,000. Or have the same setup and let voodoo build it, and spend your $12,000. Your choice 8)

"Don't spend it all in one place..."
April 4, 2006 4:25:48 PM

I know everybody had said this but you can build a freaking amazing system for like 6k. If this whole 12k is going to fun buy an X-box 360 and a PS3 and Revolution and then buy a 60 inch Plasma. This would be better. Some say they dont do console gaming. But I keep consoles for killer apps like halo and zelda and other things. Just good to keep.
April 4, 2006 4:26:06 PM

Let me get this straight.

You are a husband, and a father, yet you still have the gall to consider spending $12k on a gaming PC?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Take the advice of many others. PC technology is improving too quickly. You don't need to buy cutting edge technology to get a nice system, and save the rest. If you *must*, spread it out and buy nice PC's every few years, but I would suggest you consider spending 80%+ of that on your family instead of on yourself to play video games.

As far as it not going to waste because you will be doing blah blah blah, get real. Tell me one thing the $12k PC will do that the $2k PC won't do that will actually make you some extra money. Now tell me if what it did will be worth $10k before the PC is worth $10k less than you bought it for.

Buy a reasonable PC, put some gear in it, or better yet, get a gaming console, and spend the rest on your family.

Just my two cents,

John
April 4, 2006 4:30:49 PM

nothing is as good as closing car deals.
April 4, 2006 4:32:40 PM

lol, and I thought I had the chance of my lifetime when I spent $1500 on a gaming rig last sunday. It isnt King of the Hill, but atleast better than the dell 2400 with onboard graphics that I do have now...

anyway, my advice: spend about $3000~$4000 in december, and spend aonther $1000 each quarter of the year to upgrade that system. This way, your system will still kick ass in about 3 years.

EDIT: if you really want to spent $12k, invest it in a "neural" network of computers: small mini-ATX cases with state-of-the-art gear, and spread them across your house. Connect them with a high-speed network, and you've got some kind of neural computer network that can do litterally anything. You might even make some money of it by selling the computer power for sceintific research. Or, you could let your computer support charity, that needs computer power like SETI.

and why isn't he allowed to spend that much on a computer? people are spending millions on cars, millions on diamond jewels. So?
April 4, 2006 4:42:34 PM

Quote:
and why isn't he allowed to spend that much on a computer? people are spending millions on cars, millions on diamond jewels. So?

No one denies that other people waste their money. If they came here before spending it, they'd probably get similar advice.

But as a husband, and a father he shouldn't spend $12k on PCs unless he has some idea on how to make it return on that investment before the PC is seriously devalued.

Don't kid yourself. If you can't make money on your PC faster than it depreciates, consider a different idea on making money.

Just my two cents,

John
April 4, 2006 4:44:51 PM

It's your Life, your dream..However, be realistic, wise and conservative....
12,000.-- is way to much even for me on a system.. I plan on building about a $10K system, but I'm going for the Mega/mucho/maxie type of hardware stuff like a quad SLI and liquid cooling setup, and I'm also going for a dual wide screen Hi-Def monitor too with a killer sound system, another broadband connection setup in the house, and a 70" rear projection Hi-Def DLP TV set for Home networking purposes..Everything should come in under $10K...if your going for $12K just on the PC alone, make certain you get Goldleaf certificates for the case..even at the maximum, you should be able to build an envious liquid cooled system for under $6K that'll make the lights go down in the neighborhood when you power it up.....and that's an extravagant estimate...Building it yourself, and wise price shopping will bring your price way down..
April 4, 2006 5:09:29 PM

Quote:
Io, my budget cap will be around $12,000

Want the best advice anybody can give? Don't blow $12k on 1 computer, that's extremely stupid. If you MUST spend $12k, build a $3k Gaming System, and a Home Server or 2, and you'd have some cash left over to upgrade to the next AMD-Intel CPU's down the road.

Agree 100%.

First of all I'd have some serious moral issues with dropping $12,000 on a computer of all things...not to mention that the money is coming from your WIFES' bonus for re-enlisting.

Secondly, I served in the military, I know money is generally tight...and the fact that this $12,000 is a big deal for you shows that you probably aren't sitting on a ton of cash.

I would highly recommend re-analyzing your priorities in life. I would set aside perhaps $3-5K and build a nice system. Take the rest and put it away for something like a downpayment on a house, car, car maintenance or even expenses that you will probably encounter when you have a kid. Take $60 of that money and buy your wife some flowers for being so generous...foolish decisions like $12,000 ultimate gaming machines when you have $12.79 in your savings account have been known to destroy marriages.
April 4, 2006 5:25:05 PM

Hey its their money, obviously they can afford it if that is the "budget". As much as you all say it is a waste, how many of you would spend money on stuff you don't need if you had the money?

Spending it on whatever you want. And for a 3000 more you can buy a 24K gold plated Voodoo Omen!! Bling Bling.
April 4, 2006 5:44:33 PM

Quote:
Hey its their money, obviously they can afford it if that is the "budget". As much as you all say it is a waste, how many of you would spend money on stuff you don't need if you had the money?

Spending it on whatever you want. And for a 3000 more you can buy a 24K gold plated Voodoo Omen!! Bling Bling.

for a "Once in a lifetime opportunity"...a $12,000 computer is pretty much a let-down. I don't think I could get $12,000 worth of happiness or enjoyment out of a computer. Maybe a night with a couple of strippers from Las Vegas...yes. Computer...not so much.
April 4, 2006 5:48:58 PM

My recommendation would be to split the cash, buy/build a 6K desktop, then do the same with a lappy. That way you have 2 really high end systems, and a much easier way to go to lan parties. And with a 6K laptop you will still have something to show off.. just my 2 cents.
April 4, 2006 5:55:15 PM

Quote:

for a "Once in a lifetime opportunity"...a $12,000 computer is pretty much a let-down. I don't think I could get $12,000 worth of happiness or enjoyment out of a computer. Maybe a night with a couple of strippers from Las Vegas...yes. Computer...not so much.

Not saying I would do it, but hell it his money not ours. Let him do what he wants with it.
April 4, 2006 6:04:21 PM

i'd say And opteron CPU

4gb of ram

2 7900gtx'x
or
2 19000xtx

x-fi soundcard

dvd burner

a sick case

water cooling

850 watt Power supply

and umm thats all i got

12000 is wayyyy to much for a computer

or buy a falcon northwest computer

just pick the most expensive one

dang if i had that money
=0
April 4, 2006 6:09:57 PM

I am not going to say that you shouldn't get a new computer, as even though I am on a small computer budget, I still spend money now and then on upgrades and parts. I am getting married in 4 months, and if it came down to getting myself something nice or getting my wife something nice, i would want her to feel appreciated. I respect that you are willing to stay at home with your family and that your wife is defending your family and our country.

If she's willing to invest that money in you, I challenge you to look on her with respect and gratitude. I suggest if you're going to buy the computer, get something in the 2,000 price range, it'll be plenty of power. (if it's 9 months from now, that 2,000 will be even better spent because of the coming changes). Invest the rest of the money in your wife and children's happiness and future, pay off any debt, prepare for college, family vacation, visit mom if she's going to be far from you. get her something nice to show her your love and respect for her.
April 4, 2006 6:17:37 PM

Max amount of money I've ever spent anything on in my life (well I'm only 23) is $20,000 for a car.

If I were to tell my parents or my girlfriend I spent $12,000 on a computer I'd get bitch slapped so hard Ray Charles would see it.
April 4, 2006 6:33:24 PM

Quote:
Mine was $1650 and I am very happy. More than $2000 on the computer (w/o monitor) is a waste.

yeah, i could have used a opti 165 and saved quite a bit of cash, maby a different mobo also. i have seriously been considering selling this PC in lou of a xbox 360, not sure yet, but i miss halo2, and dont want to buy vista.
April 4, 2006 6:33:51 PM

Wow, so much hate here. Where do I begin???

Wife is serving on Air Force 2 ... very minimal life risking there. She does a super job! And is the first femal systems engineer on the E4B ever. So proud. I love supporting her career.

Am I having issues being a house husband? You bet. I was making darn near 70k in my profession, and now it is all on hold. I was/am a workaholic. Am an avid pc enthusiast since 1985.

Typically I spent 5k on a sytem every 3 years, with a few minor upgrades in between. And I can tell you my latest system is worth more than $500....even thouygh it is old....Hell I just sold my pc from june of 2000 for $600 without a monitor!!! (only upgrade it ever had was a GF3 ti 550)

On the bright side, we are completly out of debt. The kids have a college fund plan, and money is being invested.

But why do I even bother to share all of this??? I want to thank the few members who actually have given good sound advice rather than flaming my endeavor. Most of you never even answered a single aspect other than, "HEY YOU ARE A FREAKING MORON!"

This is the most I will ever spend on a complete system. It will be highly upgradeable since most of it's cost will be invested in three things... Cooling for serious overclocking, a large hard drive array for high definition video editing, A big monitor, because I currently use a 19" and 2 17" crts. As far as upgrading the newest video cards, guss what, upgrading them only costs $30/card the moment it hits the store...thats what a $30 warranty can do for you. look into it...check out compusa no questions asked 1 year replacement plan.
April 4, 2006 6:47:15 PM

steamroller,

I apologize for including my opinion on matters other than the question you asked...I just feel that $12,000 is really wasteful.

If you have your mind set on it, I would simply opt for as much processor, ram and video that you can afford. On top of this I would get my hands on solid state disks. If you have any money leftover at this point, invest in the monitor of your choice.
April 4, 2006 6:49:51 PM

something is odd here, he never says what the use is.....
April 4, 2006 6:54:46 PM

No matter what the use is, dont plan now. In december all parts you picked will be out of date. Both Amd and Intel have some kick ass cpu's coming out and it would be stupid to choose your parts now. Or get thr parts on a buy now pay later finance deal.

Hint *Alienware* Hint(Good service and support, I own one)
April 4, 2006 7:01:54 PM

Quote:
...a large hard drive array for high definition video editing...

Incase you don't already know, and are bent on buying such an overkill system, a mirrored stripe is among the fastest arrays you can build, otherwise RAID 50 is good too.

If you need that much storage, you may consider a really nice (or several) RAID controllers, and SATA II drives simply because of the storage you can get. 8 x 500 SATA II drives in RAID 10 (mirrored stripe) = 2 TB

I might also suggest Seagate drives since afaik, nearly all of them (if not all) have 5 year warranties.

One other consideration with a phase change cooler, overclocked CPU, multiple GPUs, your PC will cost a lot of money to run in electricity.

Just a thought.

John
April 4, 2006 7:18:12 PM

Hello,

Blowing $12,000 is a total waste on a single system and most systems (even the best ones) don't cost that much. Better save some of that money for better use.

Of course, if you want to spend exactly $12,000, buy Dell/ Alienware's Quad -SLI for 10,000 and propably goes to 12,000+ with the extras.
April 4, 2006 7:25:15 PM

electricity shouldnt be much an issue if he lives on base. unless, the air force has gone the route of the army and started charging for utilities on post. even so, they aren't nearly as high as they would be on the civilian side of the fence.
April 4, 2006 7:28:44 PM

I'm not going to advise on any hardware at all, and no one that contributes to this Forum should either.
This is April, you're getting the cash in December, things are changing somewhat faster with hardware now. A 7900 GTX or a 1900 XTX will hardly be the hot video cards by September the way things are moving. That's goes for everything else too.
Your best bet is to just wait until the money is in your hands, try to forget you're getting it, that's going to be really hard to do I know.
There's only 3 things I can advise that I'd get if I could, 3 Wide Screen Monitors with no bezels hooked a system.........I'm sportin' wood.
!