Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I've just got a new PSU as the old one died, and my system now is having difficulties booting.

As soon as it tries to boot windows from an HDD, it returns to the startup beep and starts again. Messing about with various components has led me to believe this may be a mobo thing. I can't boot from either HDD, and when i try the windows cd in my DVD drive it gets an unexpected error and the same happens....

Sometimes, however, I can boot up. This seems to be pretty much random whether it works or not...

I know of one other person who is experiencing the same problems (with this board too) - anyone else having this nightmare? :(

Xan

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
What brand, rating and amps/channel is the new PSU?

Also, what's the rest of your system.

If the only thing you changed was the PSU...

Mike.

dstong

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
If you are talking about:

GA-K8N51GMF-9

Some batches of this are well known to have a boot problem. Basically if you disconnect the power completely (pull plug or turn off surge protector), they will not boot, unless you try lots of times and then for some unknown reason they boot up. If you keep the power coming in, just let Windows shut machine down, as you no doubt know, there is still power coming into the motherboard.

A terrible shame because were it not for this boot screwup on some batches this motherboard is really very good. In fact the best implementation of all the brands (I've read about)of the batch using this nVidia chipset. Unfortunately, and for some unknown reason, every brand using this chipset has some major problems with some of their boards. It really is amazing that the quality control is so very, very bad.

Possibly because components are so cheap these days, there is so little profit to be made, they cut quality control.

Go look at Newegg -customer ratings for this board and you will get an eyeful. Apparently, though Gigabyte knows about this problem and will ship you a replacement once you contact them.

Good luck,

Dan