how many slots in a bank

Kay

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
hi guys

i've been searching with no luck. how many slots does a bank have. i see sometimes its 2 sometimes 4. how do i found which one is which?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I think we need a few more details on what 'bank' and 'slots' means to you.

Slot (somewhat obviously) is a memory slot on a mobo, correct?

Bank?
Do you mean a 'bank' as defined by a mobo? In that case, it depends on the mobo - some are 1, some are 2, some are 4, etc.

If not, I guess I need a reply to clarify...

Mike.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
hi guys

i've been searching with no luck. how many slots does a bank have. i see sometimes its 2 sometimes 4. how do i found which one is which?

A "SLOT" refers to the physical place you put RAM in, and typically, a "BANK" refers to 2 "SLOTS" in Dual-Channel operation. So, if a board has 8x DIMM's (8 SLOTS) it can have up to 4 Banks (Given the memory controller can support it).

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Kay

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
hi

thanks for your response.

i'm not sure what a mobo is :), but what i'm meant was that on system board there are memory banks, with 2 or 4 slots...how does one know if a board has 2 or 4 slots in a bank. is it affected by maybe the DIMMS to be put in i.e DDR1 or DDR2

thanks

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
mobo=motherboard=system board.

It depends on how the mfg design it. Has nothing to do with what type of memory. Sometimes you can guess by the motherboard - usually 4 slots are 2 banks of 2 slots each. But that's not certain. Only way to find out for sure is to read the documentation and hope it tells you - or contact tech support.

Mike.