New gaming PC in 3-9 months. what to wait for?

lasseht

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Knowing that I will hopefully get a bonus in June/July I'm looking to buy or as I did before make up my own PC. Rather than upgrade my current PC I'm looking to get all new and pass the old one my PC to my son (only 4 years old, so pac-man and lego racers it will do np) not that his AMD XP2400 is having a problem.

I'm rather use to play games in max details and in the 1280x1024 res that fits my 19" TFT. With games like BF2 I have had to put details down to medium. So the time for me to upgrade is most def. due.

However is an AMD X2 already a little old technology? When is quad core poping out of the wood work? What about the Nvidia 7800-7900 series, its been around for a while now...

2Gb, 4 or even 8 Gb RAM? everyone was looking stupidly at me 3 years ago when I put in 1Gb of RAM.

With Vista in Q1 07? and Direct X version 10 looming what's a man to do.

The new PC has to last me another 3 years, so I want to get it right.

Current PC spec, so you know where im comming from:

P4 - 3GHz
Asus p4p800 m/b
1Gb ram (2x512 400DDR)
6800 Ultra
SB Audigy platinum.

The only upgrade I did over the last 3 years was to upgrade the graphics card from an ATI 9800 and change the PSU to a Tagan 480 to power the damn thing (learned the hard way).

I could possible upgrade the PC in the short term to 2Gb ram, since i've read it should help with BF2 performance (might be worth it if I have to wait to Q1 07)..

Budget for new PC = £1500 ish (I plan to keep my 19" TFT).

Guys, Girls & Guru's

Your opinion's please

RichPLS

Champion
If you are buying now, an AMD Opteron 170 ($410) with an Asus A8R32-MVP ($180) would be the fastest yet reasonably priced upgrade, and you can reuse your other components for till you decide to upgrade others parts.

JackRyan

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
I was thinking about building a new system around an Asus P5LD2, a Pentium D 930 and a 7900GT.... but I'm also looking forward to Intels Conroe in Q3, might get exciting. But I won't be able to to jump in immediately with initial prices being what they usually are, so for now I'm just upgrading my AMD 3200+/Asus A8N-E from an FX5900 to a 7900GTco and maybe replace the 2x512MB OCZ DDR RAM with some fast 2x1GB. If I need more horsepower I'll also get an X2 3800+ or so, depending on how prices develop in the near future.

Judging by the availability of the 7600/7900 it won't be obsolete in 3 months time, although NVidias G8x is expected for the second half of 2006 :)

RichPLS

Champion
Well then, I would go with this Asus board and a cheap 820/920 CPU now, and add a Conroe at launch for $530. The best board supporting Conroe now it seems.
I suspect pricing might be 10% higher at launch first few weeks, but when supplies ramp within a month, they will stablize at this price and stay there for over 6+ months.

JackRyan

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
I don't think so, that would mean MB+CPU+RAM+VGA = $1190 (£683) in the cheapest store over here. Futhermore I'm quite sure there will be better (or cheaper while adequate) boards for the Conroe in Q3/Q4, and finally I don't want a crossfire board. If I HAD to I'd choose SLI, but I don't even want that right now :)
You see, I'm an Intel/NVidia fanboy (excluding the nForce4) because I take stability over speed any day Comes with the job I guess :). The AMD System I mentioned is the very first AMD system I built... ever. And while it's quite fast I was promptly disappointed by the nForces instability and shortcomings (Raise your hands if you bought an nForce4 board partially because you thought the HW-Firewall would be cool and take some load of the CPU).

As of now I ordered an eVGA 7900GT CO for $430 (£247), and nothing more yet, and I'll upgrade the AMD box because it has a PCIe. Could get a 7800GS for the AGP in my P4 2.6 on a P4C800E-Deluxe that's also still running well, but that would really be a deadend :?

If I upgrade MB+CPU+RAM in Q4 (or whenever the Conroes get closer to $400, allthogether it should cost me < $900.) it's not such a big deal because I always have use for this slightly-old-systems for wife and kid or to upgrade a streaming server or such.

EDIT: OK, the Conroe E6600 2.40GHz @ $316 will probably attract me most :)

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Wait to get some benchmarks on these new platforms: Conroe, AM2. Then start pricing out the components you need. If the software cant benefit from the new hardware offerings there is no reason to upgrade.

pat

Expert
If you are buying now, an AMD Opteron 170 ($410) with an Asus A8R32-MVP ($180) would be the fastest yet reasonably priced upgrade, and you can reuse your other components for till you decide to upgrade others parts.

He'll need a new PCI-e video card as well. But if buying now, that's the best he could get, and that will make it last way over the first implementation of Conroe.