Help Please, Random Power Loss ... I Think?

tonys

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Recently my PC's been losing power randomly. I've been working away ;) then suddenly the power is gone and the screen is blank, strangely the HDD LED on front of the case is still on but the Power LED is not, also the case fans have LEDS which are still on aswell as the fans themselves. When I press the power switch windows boots up and back to normal until it happens again which could be mins or weeks!

Spec:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum-54G Mainboard S939
Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 DDR-DIMM 1GB RAM
Q-Tec PSU ATX 450W Dual Fan
Western Digital Caviar 160GB S-ATA
NEC DVD-recorder IDE ND-1300
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis PRO 128MB
3 x (80mm Case Fans)

While trying to diagnose the problem I took out a second HDD I didn't really use and a second optical drive plus some PCI cards I wasn't using. This seemed to fix the problem for a while, it happens less frequently now but it still happens now and then. Also, before I took the extra components out after pressing the power button it could take 1-5 mins for anything to happen (i.e. power up), tilting the tower forwards seemed to help it to start. Anyway this doesn't happen at all anymore, may help with the diagnosis??

Hopefully someone can let me know what they think, is it the crappy PSU or something worse? Thanks in advance.

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
I do belive it has something to do with your not very stable (crappy) PSU. Go out and grab yourself an Antec 450 + watt PSU and see if that doesnt fix the problem. If thats not the problem then you have a power supply that is well fit for the future regardless. But that sounds like a power issue to me. What are the rails on your current PSU?

TRENDING THREADS