USB problem on Asus MoBo

headst1r

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
First here are my specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ | Asus A8N5X mobo | 5.1 surround soundcard | 2 GB Corsair PC3200 Ram| 250gig Hitachi Hdd/60 GB WD HDD | 420w PS | EVGA Geforce 7800GT | Logitec 5.1 surrond sound speakers w/subwoofer z-560 | Netgear wireless-G router with wireless-G card |

Problem is, if I boot up my comp with a USB device attached, for example a bluetooth dongle, webcam etc, I get as far as the windows screen right before it gets into windows itself, and it hangs on a black screen. When I remove the USB device, I hear my HDD load windows and then everything is fine.

When I reconnect the USB when windows is started, it works fine with no problem. I tried going to the Asus site, looked through 22 pages of the A8N5X forums, found 2 posts with the same issue, but no fix. Any ideas on how to solve this, or jut leave the USB devices unplugged?

Also it seems like disabling the legacy drive as well as updating bios has no effect.

nav_909

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
i hear you m8 i've had the same problem with any USB hub, my system just hangs until i unplug it, no one seems to find a fix to this problem! :cry:

headst1r

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I had an ASUS mobo before and never had the problem. I'm thinking there must be a setting in the bios. I really do not like messing around in there though :)

aj49

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I have an asus P5N32SLI-deluxe w/ the nVIDIA nFORCE 4. That seems to be the problem. The add-remove icon shows my RAID 1 HDD's and 2 "USB mass storage devices" listed. While I was trying to remove an SD card from my 7-in-1 device, I tried to select the "usb storage" to remove the SD card. This caused Windows to basically eat itself (an easy opening or what --- flame on Windows). While fixing the issue, I was talking to Monarch Computer tech & he said that he had skimmed an article that said that the problem was with nVIDIA's drivers. I didnt have to get further into it. Sorry for no answer but I hope you can get a start.

This used to happen with my old Asus P4S333 mobo if any "always powered" device (like web cams - no off button) was plugged into a USB port. None of the bios updates ever fixed that problem. Of course, back then I'm sure they were probably blaming it on the SiS chipset. :evil: I could replicate the problem with normal devices too. I could boot with a USB printer as long as the printer was off when I booted. If the printer was powered on before booting, it would hang.

Anyhow, have you tried it with any other USB devices that can be powered off or does the dongle have an on off switch?

headst1r

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Nothing I use on it has an off/on switch. I think my webcam may have one, I'll have to double check.

It's not a huge problem, but I like to keep things connected and not have to worry about it, especially my BT dingle since I am always transferring things to and from my phone.

My best guess is some USB setting in the bios, but again that is my guess. More than likely it is just some bug that cannot be fixed easily or else it would have been solved already. I'm welcome to any suggestions though :)

nickb23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have this problem too. I have abrand new ASUS A8N-E MoBo with an Asus 6600LE 256mb graphics card.
I am having trouble making my built in USB2 ports on the mobo be USB2 - they seemed to want to be USB1. I had loaded all the latest drivers etc, but still no luck. SOmeone on a forum mentioned to delete in the device manager the USB bits, and then when you restart XP it would look for the drivers and load the correct ones. But with me it went black when the login should come up.
So I tried loading in (pressing F8 at startup) just with VGA Mode, and that seemed to work fine. I think it could be a USB / Graphics card confliction, but as I am only a tad technical, that is only a guess. You can go to the forum at http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/A8N-USB2-Problems-ftopict181661.html where I have in more detail my problem...

thanks

Nick B

foxfirerage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
i had the USB problem as well but i called there support line on there site and they told me how to fix the usb problem this is how you do it

start / settings / control panel / system / hardware(tab) / device manager / look at the bottom for universal serial bus controllers click the [+] box then
delete the (host controller) and all (USB root Hubs)

note you will lose all USB function when you do this so if you have a USB mouse lol it will stop working

but fear not! lol just restart your computer it will figure out that the drivers are missing it will auto update them (this may take a few min for it to complete) and then it will start to recognize your devices then they will all work again!

hope this helps ^^