Multiple views

graham

I have acquired a second PC and want to know if I can use it to set up a
three monitor view? I would like to run three monitors with a from and two
side views.

My main PC is a P4 gig and NVIDIA FX5600 video card.

Can I connect both PC's together with a simple cable connection or do I need
to setup a network? If a network, I know nothing about this so what do I
need to run with FS2004? I have read about network hubs, but have no idea
what sort I need to run FS2004. Switch, USB etc etc so many types can
someone tell me exactly what I need?

Can I run two monitors off my NVIDIA card?

Do I need FS2004 installed on both PC's?

Sorry to have so many questions. Any help or advice on how to set this up
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

Graham wrote:
> I have acquired a second PC and want to know if I can use it to set
> up a three monitor view? I would like to run three monitors with a
> from and two side views.

Yes I am sure you can.

> My main PC is a P4 gig and NVIDIA FX5600 video card.
>
> Can I connect both PC's together with a simple cable connection or do
> I need to setup a network? If a network, I know nothing about this
> so what do I need to run with FS2004? I have read about network
> hubs, but have no idea what sort I need to run FS2004. Switch, USB
> etc etc so many types can someone tell me exactly what I need?
>
> Can I run two monitors off my NVIDIA card?

If it has two monitor connections at the back, yes.

> Do I need FS2004 installed on both PC's?

I believe WideView (Look on Google) is what you need ,with two separate
computers and yes, I think you need to install FS23004 on both. However, I
leave the next spot of advice to someone who knows what they are talkiong
about. I am only qualified to be encouraging.;-)

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk

graham

> Graham wrote:
>> I have acquired a second PC and want to know if I can use it to set
>> up a three monitor view? I would like to run three monitors with a
>> from and two side views.
>
> Yes I am sure you can.
>

>> My main PC is a P4 gig and NVIDIA FX5600 video card.
>>
>> Can I connect both PC's together with a simple cable connection or do
>> I need to setup a network? If a network, I know nothing about this
>> so what do I need to run with FS2004? I have read about network
>> hubs, but have no idea what sort I need to run FS2004. Switch, USB
>> etc etc so many types can someone tell me exactly what I need?
>>
>> Can I run two monitors off my NVIDIA card?
>

> If it has two monitor connections at the back, yes.
>

>> Do I need FS2004 installed on both PC's?
>
> I believe WideView (Look on Google) is what you need ,with two separate
> computers and yes, I think you need to install FS23004 on both. However, I
> leave the next spot of advice to someone who knows what they are talkiong
> about. I am only qualified to be encouraging.;-)
>

>> Sorry to have so many questions. Any help or advice on how to set
>> this up would be very much appreciated.
> --
> Cheers
> Quilljar

Thanks Quilljar for the encouraging advice ;-)

"Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I have acquired a second PC and want to know if I can use it to set up a
>three monitor view? I would like to run three monitors with a from and two
>side views.
>
> My main PC is a P4 gig and NVIDIA FX5600 video card.
>
> Can I connect both PC's together with a simple cable connection or do I
> need to setup a network? If a network, I know nothing about this so what
> do I need to run with FS2004? I have read about network hubs, but have no
> idea what sort I need to run FS2004. Switch, USB etc etc so many types can
> someone tell me exactly what I need?
>
> Can I run two monitors off my NVIDIA card?
>
> Do I need FS2004 installed on both PC's?
>
> Sorry to have so many questions. Any help or advice on how to set this up
> would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graham

Hi Graham

As Quiljar indicated, with Wideview (http://www.wideview.it) you can have
as much outside views as you want
I have a setup with 4 PC's and 10 monitors. For more info about that look at
http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html

See you, Jan

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Welcome to the black art of networking

To be any real help,I need more info about your computers (Do they have
network connection,what type of internet connection etc As much info as
possible really)

Before you attempt anything,let Google be your newest best friend and
research.There are a lot of sites which will give detailed instructions
Start with this one http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/ics.html There are more
links down the bottom of the page

"Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I have acquired a second PC and want to know if I can use it to set up a
>three monitor view? I would like to run three monitors with a from and two
>side views.

It can be done if your main computers video card has 2 outputs

> My main PC is a P4 gig and NVIDIA FX5600 video card.

> Can I connect both PC's together with a simple cable connection or do I
> need to setup a network? If a network, I know nothing about this so what
> do I need to run with FS2004? I have read about network hubs, but have no
> idea what sort I need to run FS2004. Switch, USB etc etc so many types can
> someone tell me exactly what I need?

Basic instructions (This is how I do it,others have different methods)
Remove all throwable objects from within reach of where you sit. (the reason
for this will become apparent)
For a simple network (just the 2 puters with no internet) what you need is a
for both computers to have ethernet (network) connections. For a 1Ghz
machine machine I would say that you will need a network card in each
machine.Newer motherboards come with the ethernet plughole built in.
Next you need a crossover lead,which is different from a normal CAT5
lead,though they look identical.Any half decent computer shop will have them
Disconnect from the internet so you can disable firewalls etc without being
hacked from the net.(if running XP,it will take about 10 seconds before
someone finds your computer and wrecks it)
Plug the crossover lead into both computers.
Go into "Network connections " in control panel .You should see "Local area
connection" Right click on it and go to properties.You want to set a static
IP address for both computers (Usually 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 will do)
and make sure both computers have the same workgroup name (this should be
MSHOME by default,and if the computers havent been fiddled with too
much,they should be both still set at this)Turn off any firewalls you have
running.
Enable "File and Printer sharing"
Go into windows explorer and see if the computers can see each other (My
Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/MShome).If you see
both computers names,crack a beer and celebrate.
The first time I hooked up 2 computers,it took me 2 weeks to get working, so
dont be surprised if it doesnt work straight away. Once you get the hang of
it, it takes about 30 seconds

If you want to get both computers connected to the internet,this is a whole
different kettle of fish and has reduced grown men to tears (myself
included) It involves the thing we do not speak the name of (Mr Internet
Connection Sharing, a total bastard if ever there was one)

> Can I run two monitors off my NVIDIA card? Dunno,have a look at the
> back of the card
>
> Do I need FS2004 installed on both PC's? Yes,with FSUIPC installed in
> both sims (free download from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html ) and
> Wideview

Hope this helped in some way

> Sorry to have so many questions. Any help or advice on how to set this up
> would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graham

graham

"Bryan" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> Welcome to the black art of networking
>
> To be any real help,I need more info about your computers (Do they have
> network connection,what type of internet connection etc As much info as
> possible really)
>
> Before you attempt anything,let Google be your newest best friend and
> research.There are a lot of sites which will give detailed instructions
> Start with this one http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/ics.html There are more
> links down the bottom of the page

Thanks Bryan will check out the links you mention.

For your info I have broadband and both PC's have network card installed.
I just need to know what type of Network I need to run my Flight Sim well,
I have read that a switch is faster than a hub so is that what I should buy?

Many thanks

Graham

In article <d9o8rk$8md$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
"Graham" <graham.me(nospam)@btinternet.com> says...
> For your info I have broadband and both PC's have network card installed.
> I just need to know what type of Network I need to run my Flight Sim well,
> I have read that a switch is faster than a hub so is that what I should buy?

A switch is preferable to a hub in all cases, and these days the cost
difference is minimal. But as a practical matter, I doubt one could
measure any performance difference in a home network application.

/Chris T
(network engineer, UCLA)

graham

"Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message

>> For your info I have broadband and both PC's have network card
>> installed.
>> I just need to know what type of Network I need to run my Flight Sim
>> well,
>> I have read that a switch is faster than a hub so is that what I should
>> buy?
>
> A switch is preferable to a hub in all cases, and these days the cost
> difference is minimal. But as a practical matter, I doubt one could
> measure any performance difference in a home network application.
>
> /Chris T
> (network engineer, UCLA)

Thanks Chris, hub it is then.

Graham