Issues with installing new AGP card

zachsm

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
hey, recently ive been planning to upgrade my graphics card. First off, the first time I upgraded was when I put in a PCI 5200 FX in replacement of the onboard graphics.

As I was doing that, I had to go into the device manager to turn off the onboard graphics so I didn't have any conflicts, and go into BIOS to change it to PCI for the 5200.

Now, im upgrading to an AGP 8x card. How am I going to do this? In What order do I do all of the steps?

Also If I don't have any graphics processor in there, will I still be able to access BIOS?

Edit: random question, but will onboard graphics work if I have the BIOS set to PCI or AGP?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Now, im upgrading to an AGP 8x card. How am I going to do this? In What order do I do all of the steps?
Uninstall existing card drivers.
shut down windows
Reboot into BIOS, change to AGP, Save & Exit BIOS & shut down.
remove 5200
install new card
boot & install drivers.

Also If I don't have any graphics processor in there, will I still be able to access BIOS?
Nope - you won't be able to see the screen since there's no display capability. (In your case, you may get display on the integrated, but if there's a jumper or bios setting that disables it, you may not.)

Edit: random question, but will onboard graphics work if I have the BIOS set to PCI or AGP?
Depends on the mobo... Some mobos try to detect a GPU in AGP/PCI and if it fails, enables onboard. Some use jumpers or enable/disable settings to enable/disable onboard, so those it won't.

Mike.