Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

does overclocking void warrenty?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 4, 2006 5:52:18 PM

I am getting a opty 165 and I want to overclock it but I want to have warrenty on it. Noob question I know
April 4, 2006 6:10:18 PM

Overclocking does void the warranty.

...

If they can detect you've OC'd it... or you're stupid enough to tell them.

Kindof like speeding - yes going 80 in a 55 zone is breaking the law and you must pay a fine... if you get caught.

So, don't give it too much voltage, don't spill the beans when you call them for an RMA, and you should be ok.

Mike.
April 4, 2006 6:23:51 PM

Overclock smart, dont get greedy 3mhz (max) at a time
-Good Luck-
Related resources
April 4, 2006 6:36:28 PM

That's it, I'm telling on you...........

Sandmannight is overclocking! Sandmannight is overclocking!

Kiss your warranty goodbye buddy, should have kept quiet.
April 4, 2006 6:50:29 PM

Replacing the stock HSF or OCing or both will void your warranty... but unless you are stupid enough to let it slip on your RMA request, then nobody will know... *shifty eyes*
April 5, 2006 12:59:53 AM

Haha, yeah, if they don't notice, then your ok.
I fried my Athlon XP computer that I had bought from CompUSA, they are so stupid, they didnt even notice I got a different heatsink. They replaced the CPU under Warranty and didn't say anything about it.
April 5, 2006 2:07:29 AM

Quote:
Replacing the stock HSF or OCing or both will void your warranty... but unless you are stupid enough to let it slip on your RMA request, then nobody will know... *shifty eyes*


This is pretty entertaining. I'm gonna get a job in AMDs RMA department and
bust all you overclockin' outlaws!!!
April 5, 2006 2:26:01 AM

Quote:
I am getting a opty 165 and I want to overclock it but I want to have warrenty on it. Noob question I know


Hell yeah. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
April 5, 2006 1:47:37 PM

Overclocking voids warranty because you force the hardware to work harder than the manufacturer's specifications, the optimal operating level, thus risking the hardware to fail and shortened it's lifespan. So overclock at your own risk.
April 5, 2006 2:50:29 PM

Quote:
Overclocking voids warranty because you force the hardware to work harder than the manufacturer's specifications, the optimal operating level, thus risking the hardware to fail and shortened it's lifespan. So overclock at your own risk.

I'll believe that when I see it. It only "shortens lifespan" when some dumbass puts 1.8v through it on a stock cooler. Also, it IS possible to detect higher than normal frequencies on a chip by seeing how much stress has been placed on the Silicon. Yes, it can be done. However, CPU's fail so little it's highly unlikely it will break, and even if it does, you can return it to a place like Newegg that has NO way of knowing what you did to it.
April 5, 2006 5:17:12 PM

Oh noes! I've been OUTLAWED!! Oh the tragedy :roll: :lol: 
!