Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$600 Paperweight Unless YOU can Help...

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 4, 2006 6:18:34 PM

For anyone out there that can help me, here are the specs and issue with my system...
CPU - Pentium D805 2.66GHz 40°C
MB - P5VDC-MX 36°C
Mem - (2) Buffalo PC4200 DDR2 533 each 1GB
(2) Seagate 160GB 7200 SATA running RAID 0 Config from MotherBoard
(2) WD 60GB EIDE Storage Only
(2) DVD Burner/Drive EIDE
1 Disk drive
128 ATI Radeon 9600 AGP Video
PCI Audio

Installed WinXP Pro onto Raid 0 Config, using VIA RAID Driver.
Installed SP1 then SP2
Computer running ok, installed remaining driver and software.
Did some Video Edits...Fast Computer...UNTIL...moved mouse around and system frozen.
Reboot...
Works fine again...ran more software video audio...movies..works fine, checked desktop settings and as soon as I clicked on start the menu came up and mouse froze, everything was frozen. my computer froze no blue screen or errors or beeps just locked no control alt del...
Reboot...
Reinstall WinXP onto regular EIDE 60GB Hard drive...got just as far as last time...random freeze
Changed Power supply to an antec 350W instead of the PS that came with the case...Still same problem...
Called ASUS same motherboard was sent out to me, i installed it and got just as far as last time, it will freeze at random times, no driver or program seems to cause it just locks up all of a sudden...
I have ordered new memory but wanted some suggestions.
In the BIOS using default settings and I have tried setting the memory speed to 533MHz just incase that was the issue...NOPE...sometimes it goes hours no problem...If there is any other info you need to help me just let me know.

More about : 600 paperweight

April 4, 2006 7:05:32 PM

It could be a problem with your input power or outlet?

Sometimes it can be as simple as swapping out your ac power cable or outlet, or a back-ups unit can help clean up the power in.
April 4, 2006 7:18:43 PM

:D  You right...and guess what...I did that, I changed power outlet, actually I moved the computer to a different room where I could keep an eye on the HDD activity so I could tell when it would lock up...still random. I know the cable is good and power supply is good because I tested both on another computer worked fine...and this computer was doing the same thing with it's new power supply and power cord. I left the old 350W PS connected for now.
Related resources
April 4, 2006 7:25:51 PM

I'm not sure if that is a new system or not but are you sure that 350W is enough power for your system? You have 2 DVD drives and 4 HDD along with the CPU, Ram, Vid Card and anything else you may have installed.

Try taking out the two IDE HDDs, and one DVD drive and see if it works ok. Also, add up the power requirements of each device and see what the total is.
April 4, 2006 7:34:52 PM

Also check the temp on your ram. Touch should be sensative enough, I've had freezing problems resulting from overheating ram before.
April 4, 2006 7:39:32 PM

you need at least 500w man.. that much stuff runnon on a 350w is killing it..
April 4, 2006 7:50:29 PM

Sounds like a messed up hard drive or bad memory.
April 4, 2006 7:52:14 PM

You said your system froze while just moving the mouse cursor around. Were subsequent "freezes" under the same condition, or does the "thing" lock up just sitting at the desktop, with no user input?

Addendum to orig post: after re-reading your symptoms, I don't think it's a hardware issue. Rather, something running is stepping on another running prog. Have you fired up Doc Watson and gotten a core dump? That could point you in the right direction for a fix.

Second Addendum: DUDE, the common element in all situations you described, but that remains unaddressed is da' friggin' mouse itself! Plug a diff mouse in and see what happens. I "theorize" your present mouse is generating faulty escape sequences, thus croaking Windows. Good luck :D 
April 4, 2006 7:55:54 PM

Sounds like an underpowered PSU, or possibly a heating problem. Definitely try running on a scaled down system - 2 HDD's and 1 DVD burner.

Get a copy of Prime95 for testing. This will enable you to stress out the system and check for stability a LOT faster than waiting for random lockups.

Make sure your case fans are providing enough airflow through the system, especially through your primary components (CPU, RAM, Video card, chipset). With all you have running, your internal case temp could be running pretty hot, causing overheating.

If you've eliminated heat and power (the stripped down system still locks), then start eliminating components - you've already done the M/B, and you're about to do the RAM, so those are easy. After that:

Video card
CPU
Hard drives (doesn't usually cause hard locks, but stranger things have happened)

Good luck!
IDEV
April 4, 2006 7:59:06 PM

im sure ur hd's arent the problem unless u got lemons. its probably the video card. are u sure a 9600 agp can run photshop and graphic intensive programs. me, well i dont think so.
April 4, 2006 8:09:52 PM

Heres a question for you, you say it happens at random times...but thinking back through your testing does it happen more quickly when you put a load on the system? If so I would look towards an overheating CPU or chipset. I have had both problems before and each can cause the system to lock as you have described. If you run the machine with the case open, as soon as it locks, power down, and then start touching stuff...chances are SOMETHING is very hot in there.

Edit: an improperly mounted heatsink will most likely not get hot while the poor CPU underneath tries to burn itself out...
April 4, 2006 8:29:32 PM

Quote:
Heres a question for you, you say it happens at random times...but thinking back through your testing does it happen more quickly when you put a load on the system? If so I would look towards an overheating CPU or chipset. I have had both problems before and each can cause the system to lock as you have described. If you run the machine with the case open, as soon as it locks, power down, and then start touching stuff...chances are SOMETHING is very hot in there.


First thought I had when I read this was hot chipset. I lost a KD-7 to a faulty fan. For the most part the system ran fine unless under load in which case it would lock up. I thought it was a software issue because none of my temps were out of whack. Eventually the system bit the dust.

Just for stihs and giggles I'd put a box fan next to the machine and see if it continues to lock up. If it does, at least you can rule out heat as an issue...have to start narrowing it down.
April 4, 2006 8:40:15 PM

Well for those of you that have answered so far, it's be about the load on the power supply and the heat issue...I thought about the same thing...

Called Asus Motherboard provider and checked with them on the amount of power I would need for a full Load, 4 EIDE devices, Floppy, 4 SATA 2 PCI Device 1 AGP and the Fastest processor it will support should be right around 358W so he recommended a 400W for a full load...Well I'm right under the full load so a 350W should be fine right?...well I tested it, I disconnected the SATA only ran the IDE HDD's and had same problems.

Heat...well I didn't touch anything, but I did take a thermal thermometer one of those that you point and it tells you the temp.....Motherboard comp. around 96F cpu was at 104F right around spec and even with a stock air fan....I dunno?

Oh and also about heat...the lockup/freeze can happen after just a few min of running to well over a few hours, so the amount of time that the components could get hot and overheat is min.
April 4, 2006 9:13:22 PM

I love the way people are always so quick to blame the power supply - and they come in here and say "OH MAN YOU NEED A 28 KILOWATT POWER SUPPLY FOR THAT THING TO EVEN BOOT!"

Of course, these idiots don't have the foggiest notion about how much power a PC draws, and further, don't know anythign about diagnosing issues on a PC.

First and foremost: THE 350 WATT PSU IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR THAT BOX.

Hell, add it up for goodness sake, even if everything in that box was being used all at the same time, and all at 100% it will never exceed around 270 watts.

Here's the thing which tells you it's NOT the PSU: the installation problems happen at the same time. That's not, repeat NOT a PSU issue.

Screen Freezes are most likely a video card issue - and nothing to do with power, or with the CPU or with the RAM. Problems with RAM tend to throw exceptions, alerts to failures of install packages, and BSOD's.

I'd swap out the video, and disconnect all but the necessary OS Hard Drive. Forget RAID 0 - I'm sick of hearing about it!! It's a waste of time, and money. It's only function is to cost twice as much, while halving your data safety.
April 4, 2006 9:18:07 PM

Quote:
I love the way people are always so quick to blame the power supply - and they come in here and say "OH MAN YOU NEED A 28 KILOWATT POWER SUPPLY FOR THAT THING TO EVEN BOOT!"

Of course, these idiots don't have the foggiest notion about how much power a PC draws, and further, don't know anythign about diagnosing issues on a PC.

First and foremost: THE 350 WATT PSU IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR THAT BOX.

Hell, add it up for goodness sake, even if everything in that box was being used all at the same time, and all at 100% it will never exceed around 270 watts.

Here's the thing which tells you it's NOT the PSU: the installation problems happen at the same time. That's not, repeat NOT a PSU issue.

Screen Freezes are most likely a video card issue - and nothing to do with power, or with the CPU or with the RAM. Problems with RAM tend to throw exceptions, alerts to failures of install packages, and BSOD's.

I'd swap out the video, and disconnect all but the necessary OS Hard Drive. Forget RAID 0 - I'm sick of hearing about it!! It's a waste of time, and money. It's only function is to cost twice as much, while halving your data safety.



i stand corrected.. the previous wattage calculator was obviously wrong..

http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

this one seems to work nicly

although that dosent mean the supply isnt on its way out.. no or low V on the 12+ rails..
April 4, 2006 9:29:07 PM

you should also consider the fact that although your power supply is rated at 350, it does not run at 350. maybe something like 300-325ish.

i might be the power supply... it might not.. i have had issues with underpowered systems before and had your same problems. that is why i said it might be the power supply.

why do people get all upset because people make suggestions based on their own experiences??
April 4, 2006 9:38:47 PM

this website has a converter, ive used it before... hes prob using that. as for the video thing, id agree with him. if the psu failed the entire system would kick off, not lock up... if its under serious stress its most likely one of the main components, bad memory or video card. my 9600 did the same exact thing, it was a connect3d... i guess it was overheating, didnt care much just upgraded to a better card instead of wasting time. do memtest and if it passes then im 99% sure its video. this is deff not a power supply issue, its most likely a video card problem. get atitool and see what the temps are, and turn the fan faster (if it has a fan... mine didnt) and see if that helps... if memtest passes and cooling the video card better doesnt help then ask some1 else :p 
April 4, 2006 9:54:22 PM

Mobius although I dont really like the way you eliminated a very probable cause (lockups DO occur when the proc gets too hot, and when the chipset gets too hot, especially with the Athlons) even though you may have a point. But most of the video cards out there today are NOT going to overheat in ANY 2D application, ever.

Since this is happening, it doesnt seem likely that it is a video card issue. Is it an imporoperly mounted heatsink giving you faulty readings? Your hearsink may be cool, while the proc underneath is burning up.

What do i know though, I'm just a chicken?
April 4, 2006 10:39:02 PM

interesting... i think ur right and wrong about the 2d thing... if its 100% load the ambient temp could be high enough to make the gpu heat up and overheat... maybe the heatsink came loose when shiped or installed... physically check to see if its attached correctly, if not reapply with thermal paste. if it is try running somthing with a huge fan next to it.. also whats the room temp? this is just my guess that the gpu is running hot on idle and small temp increases are causing it to overheat... its deff a video problem tho... try using a diff card if u have one... or go to a local computer store and pick up a cheap ati card (9550) and if it works without crashing then return the 9600, if not return the 9550... its not a big deal, it will just take time... but also eliminate video card as a problem...
April 4, 2006 10:46:01 PM

Try downloading a copy of Memtest and let it run for a little while. Some people say overnight, but whatever. I'd say let it run at least several full passes to see if any errors show up. If there's a problem it will likely show up sooner than later.

Do you have access to another video card? You could try swapping to see if the same problems arise.

Although I would say the PSU could still be an issue, I find it unlikely.

The OP doesn't state they are having installation problems so that is not a factor in deciding what the issue could be.
April 4, 2006 11:14:05 PM

As stated before, memory is very unlikely to cause the problem. This could be a number of different things, specifically something as simple as a malfunctioning usb device. Unplug all external peripherals other than mouse, keyboard, screen, and power (yes, internet too). Also remove any and all unecessary PCI/ISA/PCIE cards--sound cards, modems, wireless adapters, NICs--everything but that video card. Remove or disconnect DATA AND POWER from all floppy drives, CDROM drives, DVD drives, Zip drives, etc. NOW see if the problem continues.

If it does, try another video card if you have one--even a crummy 1MB Trident PCI video will work. Still locks up? We got it down to motherboard, cpu, memory, and psu. PSU is 99% not the case in your situation, memory is darn near impossible to cause this issue, motherboard and processor--well since the cpu seems to be cool, motherboard will be it, 85% probable with all other expansion cards removed and with swapped hard drives and such.

My guess at this point? Motherboard. Don't take my word for it w/o trying the steps above first though.

EDIT: Amazing how many people fail to read your post BTW--

Quote:
Changed Power supply to an antec 350W instead of the PS that came with the case...Still same problem...
April 4, 2006 11:44:15 PM

As stated before, memory is very unlikely to cause the problem.

Just for fun, thought I'd throw in my two - betcha it is the ram. Says the mobo is ruled out, so bet it's the memory.
April 4, 2006 11:57:53 PM

well its kinda hard to tell because the kid with the computer has answered what.. once... so it may very well be anything inside the computer... we may never know, 5 bux says he already fixed it.

possible problems IMO
*video card overheating/is just crap
*memory (its under heavy load so many the memory craps out under high stress
April 5, 2006 12:03:56 AM

Are you using the stock ATI drivers that came with the video card or are you using updated drivers. I had the same issue with the 9600, It worked fine with the stock (original supplied video drivers). Once I updated the driver to the "New and Improved" drivers, thats when things started to happen.
April 5, 2006 1:36:44 AM

well i might have the same problem with the random freezing screen. The one thing mine does is after the screen freezes i can still see the the hdd is still being used, and if i reboot right after i will get no video out, untill i let it sit for a while. (cooling?) 90% of the time. sometimes it will restart fine
first my system p4 3.0ghz sckt 478, 2dvd burners 1 floppy,3 case fans 1 6800 vc. 2x 250gb wd hd. 1gb ram 600w ultra p.s.

This is what i did so far I ran speed fan and cool bits found no temp issue. can not run memtest because it will just randomly freeze, it would run 1 or 2 times no errors.
Tried a different outlet
I removed stock hsf an cleaned /reapplied as5,just in case it was a bad sensor reading, same problem
went from a 350w to 420w to a 600watt power supply same problem
went from 512 elixr to 1gig kingston ram same problem
went from a fx5200 to onboard video to a pny 6600 to a bfg 6800 same problem
tried 2 different nvidea drivers.
Updated mobo bios as well
went from 19crt to lcd same thing.

So what does this leave me with? I really think its a driver issue not a video card driver, I just dont know where to look next
I do have a different motherboard and another sckt 478 cpu if i have to change them.
THIS PROBLEM SUCKS
April 5, 2006 3:29:29 AM

Quote:
well i might have the same problem with the random freezing screen. The one thing mine does is after the screen freezes i can still see the the hdd is still being used, and if i reboot right after i will get no video out, untill i let it sit for a while. (cooling?) 90% of the time. sometimes it will restart fine
first my system p4 3.0ghz sckt 478, 2dvd burners 1 floppy,3 case fans 1 6800 vc. 2x 250gb wd hd. 1gb ram 600w ultra p.s.

This is what i did so far I ran speed fan and cool bits found no temp issue. can not run memtest because it will just randomly freeze, it would run 1 or 2 times no errors.
Tried a different outlet
I removed stock hsf an cleaned /reapplied as5,just in case it was a bad sensor reading, same problem
went from a 350w to 420w to a 600watt power supply same problem
went from 512 elixr to 1gig kingston ram same problem
went from a fx5200 to onboard video to a pny 6600 to a bfg 6800 same problem
tried 2 different nvidea drivers.
Updated mobo bios as well
went from 19crt to lcd same thing.

So what does this leave me with? I really think its a driver issue not a video card driver, I just dont know where to look next
I do have a different motherboard and another sckt 478 cpu if i have to change them.
THIS PROBLEM SUCKS


Sounds like you have a bad motherboard but you did not say anything about the hard drives. More than likly its your motherboard.

What motherboard do you have? :wink:
April 5, 2006 3:56:51 PM

*************!Ok here's the update on this!**************
Went home last night, turn the computer on and I start hearing clicking noises, Hard drive, Turs out it's one of the old ones is starting to die on me, disconnect it thinking it's the cause of all this...but no...problem came back, ran for about 2 hours no problems with this bad drive disconnected then freeze! So...
Connected drives again, started working fine no problems, downloaded memtest86 and ran it for 2.5 hours, no problems....ran some programs no problems...ran memtest over night, at around 5am i woke up to check on it, and i saw an error! this morning i had to leave for work so i shut it down, my new memory is on it's way to be delivered today I'm going to test it out and see, but I will also update the drivers on my video, right now I'm just using the simple drivers only from ATI not the Cadalist or whatever...I'll let you guys know thanks for all the feedback so far.
April 5, 2006 4:43:53 PM

Although I am not a real techy my guess is overheating. I would suggest an upgrade to the fan and make sure that there is nothing blocking the venting. My secretary had a similar problem that was due to blocking of the venting in the location she kept it. The problem was sporadic. Try it as it may be a simple fix.
April 5, 2006 4:56:02 PM

I have a ecs 865g-m, I have not tried to singal out my hard drives yet. Techguy are you overclocking? are you using dual channel memory (2 sticks)?
April 5, 2006 5:39:19 PM

I'm not over clocking, but I will tell you this...I called Tigerdirect.com and asked them if my memory was dual ddr2 and they said no, but on my packaging it says dual ddr2 and when i turn my comptuer on instead of 4200 the memory says 4300???? That's the buffalo memory, tonight when I get home I have 2 sticks of DDR2 Corsair 1024MB 533 memory the value memory...i'll let you know what happens, I have a feeling that the memory that i bought was cheap and not compatible with my motherboard, but it did run ok for a while...?
April 5, 2006 6:00:03 PM

never buy anything from tigerdirect, thats the reason ur comp crashes. tigerdirect is like the asian store on the corner of the bronx... all ur gnna get there is ripped off and probably stabbed or shot. buy from newegg, and the corsair is very nice memory... hopefully that runs stable... it may say 4300 because its overclocked a little? 4300 isnt a type of memory...
April 5, 2006 6:12:50 PM

Ok so since I started working on trying to fix my computer all I keep reading about is how people have overclocked their systems...I havent tried it yet since my computer keeps on crashing but if tonight goes well I plan on it...so what do I do, where do I go, what do I learn?....

In my BIOS for ASUS P5VDC-MX it gives me option to overclock...but...the only way I can is to set the FSB from 100MHZ to 400MHZ and it says it will set the rest of the parameters it's self...the only other option is enable or disable spectrum something...?

The memory I can set to Auto, 400MHZ or 533MHz and then some other settings come up but I can't remember right now since I"m at work...any suggestions? Oh I have a:
Pentium D805 2.66GHz 533MHz FSB
2 Sticks DDR2 533MHz
Thanks...
April 5, 2006 6:15:26 PM

Quote:
I love the way people are always so quick to blame the power supply

man, that's funny too hhaahahah all topics the first thing people blame is the power supply when in most cases it is adequate.

i'd put my bet on memory or video card. usually freezes with no bsod or errors are hardware problems. also, you checked mb and memory temperature... you should check your video card temp too.

and dont change your power supply
April 5, 2006 6:24:41 PM

agreed. its deff not heat in ur cpu memeory or harddrive... video card is the only heat suspect, and thats my guess... either bad video card or overheating... like some1 said earlier run the computer with the side off and a big fan blowing... if it freezes its a bad video card/ memory... since u said u got new memory id wait for that to come and run memtest.... if its still messed up consider getting a RMA for the video card...
April 5, 2006 6:39:44 PM

That makes a lot of sense, I have the quick post, and I have found that when windows xp is coming up it stops for a few seconds on the WINDOWS XP PRO screen then starts up really fast...I think it will help to let them spin up. and then I'll make sure to let it burn in...and test it like that with new memory.
April 5, 2006 7:01:46 PM

If they haven't already stated so, start swapping.

2 sticks of ram, use one. if it happens again, use the other. Not likely you'll have 2 bad sticks.

If video, swap to a diff card. Find another computer to swap with or get a friend to let you test with his/hers.

Even if a power supply of 350 watts is enough it could still be the power supply. Swap it out.

Check your temperatures in bios under "Hardware monitor".

Run it in bios for an extended period of time to see if it locks.

Check for buldging capacitors or capacitors with brown gunk on the tops.

Swap the processor with another. Clean the core and the heatsink and use quality grease.

Clean the fans: all of them including the HSF for the chipsets.

Remove all things from the computer but what is necessary to run them. Usually that means mobo, video, ram, processor and PSU. Disassemble and put on a telephone book to ensure no shorting.

Sometime during this process you'll uncover what the cause is. If you swap parts and you still have problems you probably have a defective mobo. Whoopeee, they are cheap. Get another if this turns out to be the case.
April 5, 2006 10:53:49 PM

Thanks supremelaw, they don't listen to me...
April 6, 2006 1:57:30 PM

***Update***Update***Update***Update***Update***Update***

Ok, well for those that have kept up with this forum, the results are in...Yesterday I receieved the new Corsair memory DDR2 533MHz, 2 sticks 1GB each...installed them with all other components still connected...turned comptuer on...everything seems ok...ran a few tests opened bearshare, copied some files...FREEZE! Ok so it wasn't the memory...unplugged two of my hardrives, only boot drives installed RAID 0 config 320GB...Power on...run some test, open some files...FREEZE....Test memory...no problems found...ok...plug all my drives back in, by this time I'm out of options what else could it be!??????I'm ready to throw this whole thing out and just forget about computers all together! I mean I have the latest drivers, all components work fine on their own and together for a while....WAIT!!! DRIVERS I have an:
ATI Radeon 9600, WARNING DO NOT USE the Drivers only from their site, I updated to the LATEST DRIVERS with Cadalyst software and the computer ran fine last night all night with Fresh Diagnose...

Result...Using the lastest video drivers the whole Catalyst software for Radeon 9600 seems to be working better no lockup last night running 3 videos at a time, rendering a video of my own, system monitor software, bearshare, 3 IE pages with Flash video and it didn't lock up this time...isn't that enough to prove I might have solved my problem?...Oh yeah, during all this testing and turining off and on and resetting the computer, I burned up one of my 60GB harddrives :-( it was 5 years old though, Western Digital Caviar 7200...
So again do not use the WinXP Drivers only for ATI Radeon 9600, why did I download it in the firstplace...I didn't want to wait for the 23MB download....I could have saved my self a lot of time had i just been patient....So again, it ran about 8 hours no problems, we'll see tonight when I get home, I dont trust the comptuer yet so i haven't left it on while i'm away from home.
April 6, 2006 2:06:46 PM

Quote:
I could have saved my self a lot of time

and a 60gb hardrive...

an advice: never, ever use windows default drivers for anything in your computer... ALWAYS try to use the newest driver from each component you have, even if everything is apparently working fine...
April 6, 2006 2:31:10 PM

Quote:
never buy anything from tigerdirect, thats the reason ur comp crashes. tigerdirect is like the asian store on the corner of the bronx... all ur gnna get there is ripped off and probably stabbed or shot. buy from newegg, and the corsair is very nice memory... hopefully that runs stable... it may say 4300 because its overclocked a little? 4300 isnt a type of memory...


Don't bash TigerDirect, I shop at the store (The actual warehouse outlet in Markham) half of the time and canadacomputers.com for the other half. While, yes they do have loads of crap they pawn off on tech-iliterate people (most PC places do this) they also have wikkid deals on new parts. If you know what you are looking for, you're fine.
April 6, 2006 2:58:58 PM

Quote:
never buy anything from tigerdirect, thats the reason ur comp crashes. tigerdirect is like the asian store on the corner of the bronx


if he only knew where his shiny asus or dfi or ANY computer part is made he would change his mind...
newegg or tigerdirect or the bronx corner shop... they all sell the same asian made component, so what's the difference?
April 6, 2006 4:08:23 PM

Glad you figured it out. Yeah, I hate it when complicated problems have such easy solutions--it just doesn't seem fitting :)  Really, intermittent issues are the worst most frustrating issues to troubleshoot on the planet.
April 6, 2006 7:21:43 PM

Quote:
Are you using the stock ATI drivers that came with the video card or are you using updated drivers. I had the same issue with the 9600, It worked fine with the stock (original supplied video drivers). Once I updated the driver to the "New and Improved" drivers, thats when things started to happen.


He has a point. I have a 9600XT, and it had this problem. Random, unrecoverable crashes. Drivers eventually fixed it. If he's updated drivers and still has the problem, I'd suggest he try the Omega drivers (the first driver version that worked, though later releases of regular Catalyst drivers did). Make sure you've got the .net frame installed as well.

Or, I could have read all of his last post to see he already figured that out...
April 6, 2006 9:26:13 PM

my point was better understood by the previous poster... tigerdirect likes to sell REALLY shitty components, ultra is known to have many problems, and thats one of there most supported brands... sure many other places do this... maybe i shouldnt have said dont trust them since ive ordered them before, but most people who want quality and care go for newegg. rebates from tigerdirect take more than 10 months... in my experience at least... never had a rebate from newegg tho..
April 6, 2006 11:15:00 PM

Rebates from Newegg take about 3 months. The rebates usually aren't handled by Newegg or the manufacturer of the part you buy. They are usually handled by a third party.

When dealing with rebates (from anywhere), make sure you keep a copy of everything you send and make sure you always have a way to get in touch with the rebate center. If you want your rebate, it's YOUR job to follow up on them in the real world because IMO I think its company policy for the rebate centers to screw things up so they can make more money.
April 7, 2006 4:02:05 AM

Quote:
Rebates from Newegg take about 3 months. The rebates usually aren't handled by Newegg or the manufacturer of the part you buy. They are usually handled by a third party.

When dealing with rebates (from anywhere), make sure you keep a copy of everything you send and make sure you always have a way to get in touch with the rebate center. If you want your rebate, it's YOUR job to follow up on them in the real world because IMO I think its company policy for the rebate centers to screw things up so they can make more money.


Good comment. Ever wonder way you have to give your mailing address to get money back? You get your name on a mailing address and then your junk mail starts getting bigger. Some rebates require an email address - now your spam gets bigger. Why don't they take the money right off the top - then that's a deal.

They know you have to give them your real address because that's where the check will be sent to.

:wink:
April 7, 2006 7:13:19 PM

cheap shot :/ 
April 7, 2006 8:02:14 PM

350 Watts is NOT adequate for that much hardware. While it might not be dead, that PSU is getting slapped around something fierce. And for that guy who flamed us for quickly concluding that it is the PSU, he must not have come across too many fried, blown, underpowered systems that have ALL died because of bad PSU's.

Anyone here can correct me if I'm mistaken, but under full load, a PSU rarely operates over 80% efficiency. The rest of the wattage is lost to heat. So if you have a cheap PSU which says 350w, if it is 70% efficient at full load, you are only getting about 245 watts. chances are that its a generic PSU, so it might not even be that good. Just to be certain, you will likely need a new PSU, however, it might not be the only thing wrong with the system since a bad PSU can damage other components such as the Motherboard, GPU and HDD's, so expect to have to get a new PSU as well as run some more tests once that is installed.

I blew a 550 watt Antec Truepower PSU last week, running 3 HDD's. an AMD 3500+, X800XT AIW, 4 sticks of memory and 2 opticals, plus the rest of the usual crap. Granted, it ran fine for 3 years, but after that much stress and hardcore gaming, she finally opted to die.....LOUDLY. Looking back, there was some random Crash-to-Desktop, random reboots and trouble starting before it died on me, so I should have read the tea leaves, but I never gave though to it because I had a good PSU and didn't think twice. I was wrong. I installed a new Hiper 580 watt modular PSU, and all my problems went away, plus the system seems more responsive and hasn't crashed at all since.

My best suggestion would be to spend between $80-100 on a PSU with at least 500 watts. Get a good brand as well, nothing cheap or generic.
April 7, 2006 8:46:39 PM

Quote:
350 Watts is NOT adequate for that much hardware. While it might not be dead, that PSU is getting slapped around something fierce. And for that guy who flamed us for quickly concluding that it is the PSU, he must not have come across too many fried, blown, underpowered systems that have ALL died because of bad PSU's.

Anyone here can correct me if I'm mistaken, but under full load, a PSU rarely operates over 80% efficiency. The rest of the wattage is lost to heat. So if you have a cheap PSU which says 350w, if it is 70% efficient at full load, you are only getting about 245 watts. chances are that its a generic PSU, so it might not even be that good. Just to be certain, you will likely need a new PSU, however, it might not be the only thing wrong with the system since a bad PSU can damage other components such as the Motherboard, GPU and HDD's, so expect to have to get a new PSU as well as run some more tests once that is installed.

I blew a 550 watt Antec Truepower PSU last week, running 3 HDD's. an AMD 3500+, X800XT AIW, 4 sticks of memory and 2 opticals, plus the rest of the usual crap. Granted, it ran fine for 3 years, but after that much stress and hardcore gaming, she finally opted to die.....LOUDLY. Looking back, there was some random Crash-to-Desktop, random reboots and trouble starting before it died on me, so I should have read the tea leaves, but I never gave though to it because I had a good PSU and didn't think twice. I was wrong. I installed a new Hiper 580 watt modular PSU, and all my problems went away, plus the system seems more responsive and hasn't crashed at all since.

My best suggestion would be to spend between $80-100 on a PSU with at least 500 watts. Get a good brand as well, nothing cheap or generic.


I think someone needs to make a stickey about power supplies...way too many people don't understand them. Just like Wattage is not volume when dealing with stereo equipment, Wattage alone does not mean anything about whether or not your PC can get the power it needs. Why do hardware manufacturers mention wattage for power requirements? Because Joe User doesn't want to look at 12 reviews and take a class at school to understand power supplies--he only knows he has a 300W power supply and that's all he knows.

Therefore hardware vendors list power requirements for video cards ONLY FOR JOE USER TO USE. A very good example is my old PNY GeForce 4 4200Ti 64MB AGP 4X card. It says it wants a 350Watt power supply. Now most TG Forumz folk know that that is just a little extreme, but some Joe Users have 14 other video cards (I exaggerate to make my point), all 8 USB ports in use, 3 hard drives, and 2 DVD-RW drives--then expect the video card to run with a 300W power supply that is already stretched to its limit.

In reality, with a Pentium 2 450MHz PC with 1 hard drive and one CDRW drive--the 4200Ti might run off of a 185W power supply. But PNY must assume the worst, otherwise some New Yorker will sue PNY because he used a 300Watt power supply and fried the 4200Ti because the power supply was busy burning two DVDs while he was playing Quake 3 on his overclocked video card.

In short, 350W should be enough for this rig unless its a cheap brand or dedicates the hefty power to the 3.3V rail rather than the 12V rail. The Antec should be fine, especially if its the NeoHe.
!