$600 Paperweight Unless YOU can Help...

TechGuy81

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
For anyone out there that can help me, here are the specs and issue with my system...
CPU - Pentium D805 2.66GHz 40°C
MB - P5VDC-MX 36°C
Mem - (2) Buffalo PC4200 DDR2 533 each 1GB
(2) Seagate 160GB 7200 SATA running RAID 0 Config from MotherBoard
(2) WD 60GB EIDE Storage Only
(2) DVD Burner/Drive EIDE
1 Disk drive
128 ATI Radeon 9600 AGP Video
PCI Audio

Installed WinXP Pro onto Raid 0 Config, using VIA RAID Driver.
Installed SP1 then SP2
Computer running ok, installed remaining driver and software.
Did some Video Edits...Fast Computer...UNTIL...moved mouse around and system frozen.
Reboot...
Works fine again...ran more software video audio...movies..works fine, checked desktop settings and as soon as I clicked on start the menu came up and mouse froze, everything was frozen. my computer froze no blue screen or errors or beeps just locked no control alt del...
Reboot...
Reinstall WinXP onto regular EIDE 60GB Hard drive...got just as far as last time...random freeze
Changed Power supply to an antec 350W instead of the PS that came with the case...Still same problem...
Called ASUS same motherboard was sent out to me, i installed it and got just as far as last time, it will freeze at random times, no driver or program seems to cause it just locks up all of a sudden...
I have ordered new memory but wanted some suggestions.
In the BIOS using default settings and I have tried setting the memory speed to 533MHz just incase that was the issue...NOPE...sometimes it goes hours no problem...If there is any other info you need to help me just let me know.

TechGuy81

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
:D You right...and guess what...I did that, I changed power outlet, actually I moved the computer to a different room where I could keep an eye on the HDD activity so I could tell when it would lock up...still random. I know the cable is good and power supply is good because I tested both on another computer worked fine...and this computer was doing the same thing with it's new power supply and power cord. I left the old 350W PS connected for now.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'm not sure if that is a new system or not but are you sure that 350W is enough power for your system? You have 2 DVD drives and 4 HDD along with the CPU, Ram, Vid Card and anything else you may have installed.

Try taking out the two IDE HDDs, and one DVD drive and see if it works ok. Also, add up the power requirements of each device and see what the total is.

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
You said your system froze while just moving the mouse cursor around. Were subsequent "freezes" under the same condition, or does the "thing" lock up just sitting at the desktop, with no user input?

Addendum to orig post: after re-reading your symptoms, I don't think it's a hardware issue. Rather, something running is stepping on another running prog. Have you fired up Doc Watson and gotten a core dump? That could point you in the right direction for a fix.

Second Addendum: DUDE, the common element in all situations you described, but that remains unaddressed is da' friggin' mouse itself! Plug a diff mouse in and see what happens. I "theorize" your present mouse is generating faulty escape sequences, thus croaking Windows. Good luck :D

IDEV

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Sounds like an underpowered PSU, or possibly a heating problem. Definitely try running on a scaled down system - 2 HDD's and 1 DVD burner.

Get a copy of Prime95 for testing. This will enable you to stress out the system and check for stability a LOT faster than waiting for random lockups.

Make sure your case fans are providing enough airflow through the system, especially through your primary components (CPU, RAM, Video card, chipset). With all you have running, your internal case temp could be running pretty hot, causing overheating.

If you've eliminated heat and power (the stripped down system still locks), then start eliminating components - you've already done the M/B, and you're about to do the RAM, so those are easy. After that:

Video card
CPU
Hard drives (doesn't usually cause hard locks, but stranger things have happened)

Good luck!
IDEV

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
im sure ur hd's arent the problem unless u got lemons. its probably the video card. are u sure a 9600 agp can run photshop and graphic intensive programs. me, well i dont think so.

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Heres a question for you, you say it happens at random times...but thinking back through your testing does it happen more quickly when you put a load on the system? If so I would look towards an overheating CPU or chipset. I have had both problems before and each can cause the system to lock as you have described. If you run the machine with the case open, as soon as it locks, power down, and then start touching stuff...chances are SOMETHING is very hot in there.

Edit: an improperly mounted heatsink will most likely not get hot while the poor CPU underneath tries to burn itself out...

unstable

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Heres a question for you, you say it happens at random times...but thinking back through your testing does it happen more quickly when you put a load on the system? If so I would look towards an overheating CPU or chipset. I have had both problems before and each can cause the system to lock as you have described. If you run the machine with the case open, as soon as it locks, power down, and then start touching stuff...chances are SOMETHING is very hot in there.

First thought I had when I read this was hot chipset. I lost a KD-7 to a faulty fan. For the most part the system ran fine unless under load in which case it would lock up. I thought it was a software issue because none of my temps were out of whack. Eventually the system bit the dust.

Just for stihs and giggles I'd put a box fan next to the machine and see if it continues to lock up. If it does, at least you can rule out heat as an issue...have to start narrowing it down.

TechGuy81

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Well for those of you that have answered so far, it's be about the load on the power supply and the heat issue...I thought about the same thing...

Called Asus Motherboard provider and checked with them on the amount of power I would need for a full Load, 4 EIDE devices, Floppy, 4 SATA 2 PCI Device 1 AGP and the Fastest processor it will support should be right around 358W so he recommended a 400W for a full load...Well I'm right under the full load so a 350W should be fine right?...well I tested it, I disconnected the SATA only ran the IDE HDD's and had same problems.

Heat...well I didn't touch anything, but I did take a thermal thermometer one of those that you point and it tells you the temp.....Motherboard comp. around 96F cpu was at 104F right around spec and even with a stock air fan....I dunno?

Oh and also about heat...the lockup/freeze can happen after just a few min of running to well over a few hours, so the amount of time that the components could get hot and overheat is min.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I love the way people are always so quick to blame the power supply - and they come in here and say "OH MAN YOU NEED A 28 KILOWATT POWER SUPPLY FOR THAT THING TO EVEN BOOT!"

Of course, these idiots don't have the foggiest notion about how much power a PC draws, and further, don't know anythign about diagnosing issues on a PC.

First and foremost: THE 350 WATT PSU IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR THAT BOX.

Hell, add it up for goodness sake, even if everything in that box was being used all at the same time, and all at 100% it will never exceed around 270 watts.

Here's the thing which tells you it's NOT the PSU: the installation problems happen at the same time. That's not, repeat NOT a PSU issue.

Screen Freezes are most likely a video card issue - and nothing to do with power, or with the CPU or with the RAM. Problems with RAM tend to throw exceptions, alerts to failures of install packages, and BSOD's.

I'd swap out the video, and disconnect all but the necessary OS Hard Drive. Forget RAID 0 - I'm sick of hearing about it!! It's a waste of time, and money. It's only function is to cost twice as much, while halving your data safety.

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I love the way people are always so quick to blame the power supply - and they come in here and say "OH MAN YOU NEED A 28 KILOWATT POWER SUPPLY FOR THAT THING TO EVEN BOOT!"

Of course, these idiots don't have the foggiest notion about how much power a PC draws, and further, don't know anythign about diagnosing issues on a PC.

First and foremost: THE 350 WATT PSU IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR THAT BOX.

Hell, add it up for goodness sake, even if everything in that box was being used all at the same time, and all at 100% it will never exceed around 270 watts.

Here's the thing which tells you it's NOT the PSU: the installation problems happen at the same time. That's not, repeat NOT a PSU issue.

Screen Freezes are most likely a video card issue - and nothing to do with power, or with the CPU or with the RAM. Problems with RAM tend to throw exceptions, alerts to failures of install packages, and BSOD's.

I'd swap out the video, and disconnect all but the necessary OS Hard Drive. Forget RAID 0 - I'm sick of hearing about it!! It's a waste of time, and money. It's only function is to cost twice as much, while halving your data safety.

i stand corrected.. the previous wattage calculator was obviously wrong..

http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

this one seems to work nicly

although that dosent mean the supply isnt on its way out.. no or low V on the 12+ rails..

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
you should also consider the fact that although your power supply is rated at 350, it does not run at 350. maybe something like 300-325ish.

i might be the power supply... it might not.. i have had issues with underpowered systems before and had your same problems. that is why i said it might be the power supply.

why do people get all upset because people make suggestions based on their own experiences??

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
this website has a converter, ive used it before... hes prob using that. as for the video thing, id agree with him. if the psu failed the entire system would kick off, not lock up... if its under serious stress its most likely one of the main components, bad memory or video card. my 9600 did the same exact thing, it was a connect3d... i guess it was overheating, didnt care much just upgraded to a better card instead of wasting time. do memtest and if it passes then im 99% sure its video. this is deff not a power supply issue, its most likely a video card problem. get atitool and see what the temps are, and turn the fan faster (if it has a fan... mine didnt) and see if that helps... if memtest passes and cooling the video card better doesnt help then ask some1 else :p

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Mobius although I dont really like the way you eliminated a very probable cause (lockups DO occur when the proc gets too hot, and when the chipset gets too hot, especially with the Athlons) even though you may have a point. But most of the video cards out there today are NOT going to overheat in ANY 2D application, ever.

Since this is happening, it doesnt seem likely that it is a video card issue. Is it an imporoperly mounted heatsink giving you faulty readings? Your hearsink may be cool, while the proc underneath is burning up.

What do i know though, I'm just a chicken?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
interesting... i think ur right and wrong about the 2d thing... if its 100% load the ambient temp could be high enough to make the gpu heat up and overheat... maybe the heatsink came loose when shiped or installed... physically check to see if its attached correctly, if not reapply with thermal paste. if it is try running somthing with a huge fan next to it.. also whats the room temp? this is just my guess that the gpu is running hot on idle and small temp increases are causing it to overheat... its deff a video problem tho... try using a diff card if u have one... or go to a local computer store and pick up a cheap ati card (9550) and if it works without crashing then return the 9600, if not return the 9550... its not a big deal, it will just take time... but also eliminate video card as a problem...

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Try downloading a copy of Memtest and let it run for a little while. Some people say overnight, but whatever. I'd say let it run at least several full passes to see if any errors show up. If there's a problem it will likely show up sooner than later.

Do you have access to another video card? You could try swapping to see if the same problems arise.

Although I would say the PSU could still be an issue, I find it unlikely.

The OP doesn't state they are having installation problems so that is not a factor in deciding what the issue could be.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
As stated before, memory is very unlikely to cause the problem. This could be a number of different things, specifically something as simple as a malfunctioning usb device. Unplug all external peripherals other than mouse, keyboard, screen, and power (yes, internet too). Also remove any and all unecessary PCI/ISA/PCIE cards--sound cards, modems, wireless adapters, NICs--everything but that video card. Remove or disconnect DATA AND POWER from all floppy drives, CDROM drives, DVD drives, Zip drives, etc. NOW see if the problem continues.

If it does, try another video card if you have one--even a crummy 1MB Trident PCI video will work. Still locks up? We got it down to motherboard, cpu, memory, and psu. PSU is 99% not the case in your situation, memory is darn near impossible to cause this issue, motherboard and processor--well since the cpu seems to be cool, motherboard will be it, 85% probable with all other expansion cards removed and with swapped hard drives and such.

My guess at this point? Motherboard. Don't take my word for it w/o trying the steps above first though.

EDIT: Amazing how many people fail to read your post BTW--

Changed Power supply to an antec 350W instead of the PS that came with the case...Still same problem...

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
As stated before, memory is very unlikely to cause the problem.

Just for fun, thought I'd throw in my two - betcha it is the ram. Says the mobo is ruled out, so bet it's the memory.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well its kinda hard to tell because the kid with the computer has answered what.. once... so it may very well be anything inside the computer... we may never know, 5 bux says he already fixed it.

possible problems IMO
*video card overheating/is just crap
*memory (its under heavy load so many the memory craps out under high stress

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Are you using the stock ATI drivers that came with the video card or are you using updated drivers. I had the same issue with the 9600, It worked fine with the stock (original supplied video drivers). Once I updated the driver to the "New and Improved" drivers, thats when things started to happen.