Upgrading to Windows 7!

xXedixXx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hello.

I currently have a 32 bit version of Windows XP.

I have the required hardware to have a 64 bit OS. I am wondering if I bought the Windows 7 64 bit upgrade would it would considering I currently have a 32 bit version of Windows XP, even though I have the right hardware to run a 64 bit OS?

Thanks

It'll work just fine. The best method would be to do a fresh install. Keep in mind that some programs, especially older ones may have issues working on W7, i.e. programs that you may depend on for work. If that is the case, go with either the Pro or Ultimate versions, as they come with XP mode (virtualization). Just make sure your processor supports it.

xXedixXx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Yeah, I know I'll have to do a clean install. I plan on getting a student Windows 7 Pro Upgrade, it only costs £36.

Also, are you sure the upgrade will work from a 32 bit OS -> 64 bit OS?

Is there a drop in gaming performance with Windows 7 as opposed to Windows XP, through the OS needing more RAM or anything?

Thanks guys for the response.

xXedixXx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I've had a rethink, and since the 64 bit needs more RAM to run, and my motherboard can't take more than 4GB of RAM it would actually slow down my PC if I had a 64 bit OS.

Is there anything else I need to think about, before going to Windows 7?

G

According to benchmarks they are close enough that it's worth the newer system. I moved from xp64 to 7-64 and it's great. The upgrade will work and make sure you do a clean install. Check google for various benchmarks regarding gaming performance. If done right a 64-bit application will be faster due to the ability to load larger chucks of memory.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Your not going to do and upgrade from XP 32 to Windows 7 64 for couple reasons. One you can't go from 32 bit to 64 bit and two there is no upgrade path from XP, you can only do a clean install. So back up all your files and install. 4GB of memory will work fine and be enough to run W7 and it wont be slower than XP.

xXedixXx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Thanks guys!

Yep, I ordered Win7 32 bit a couple of days ago now...

Taking a while to arrive but all should be good!

Has anyone experienced any major problems with Win7 yet, that I should know about?