MGCP and SIP

In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?

SIP ??

Thanks

Kevin
5 answers Last reply
More about mgcp

    On 24 May 2004 19:39:18 -0700, kburns69@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote:

    >In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
    >call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?

    I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
    had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.

    http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help

    Phil

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On 24 May 2004 19:39:18 -0700, kburns69@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote:
    >

    >>In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
    >>call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?
    >

    > I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
    > had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.
    >
    > http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help
    >
    > Phil

    It is.

    In article <d4808$40b3e6ab$cff549e4$13916@dcanet.allthenewsgroups.com>,
    SPD <blairsp@dca.net> wrote:
    >Phil Thompson wrote:
    >> On 24 May 2004 19:39:18 -0700, kburns69@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote:
    >>

    >>>In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
    >>>call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?
    >> I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
    >> had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.
    >> http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help
    >It is.

    MGCP isn't useful end-to-end - it was designed to be used
    between a call control engine and a media gateway.
    --
    Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com

    Of the $65 million given out for Bush's "faith-based" charities,
    not one penny has gone directly to Jewish or Muslim groups

    "Melinda Shore" <shore@panix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <d4808$40b3e6ab$cff549e4$13916@dcanet.allthenewsgroups.com>,
    > SPD <blairsp@dca.net> wrote:
    > >Phil Thompson wrote:

    > >> I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
    > >> had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.
    > >> http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help
    > >It is.
    >
    > MGCP isn't useful end-to-end - it was designed to be used
    > between a call control engine and a media gateway.

    You can get MGCP phones as well - Swissvoice, cisco and polycom support it
    on some models.

    you can generally mix the various voip control protocols - so long as the
    end points use compatible end points or you can transcode, and that the
    control system can handle the different protocols. All the actual voice
    streams for these protocols use RTP.

    eg. - cisco call manager can handle at least H.323, MGCP, SIP on the same
    system and connect calls between them. i cant believe CCM is unique, but i
    use that most.
    > --
    > Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com
    >
    > Of the $65 million given out for Bush's "faith-based" charities,
    > not one penny has gone directly to Jewish or Muslim groups
    --
    Regards

  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    In article <igttc.283$G52.43@newsfe3-gui>,
    shope <stephen_hope@xntlxworld.com> wrote:
    >You can get MGCP phones as well - Swissvoice, cisco and polycom support it
    >on some models.

    Yes, but the original intent was that the "media gateways"
    were media gateways, or relays, rather than endpoints. For
    better or worse you can't control how a protocol is used
    once it's released for general consumption. The point
    remains, however, that while H.323 and SIP really are
    end-to-end protocols (although they're mediated more often
    than not these days) MGCP is not.
    --
    Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com

    Of the $65 million given out for Bush's "faith-based" charities,
    not one penny has gone directly to Jewish or Muslim groups

vpn IP Networking