  • IP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 24, 2004 11:39:18 PM

In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?

SIP ??

Thanks

Kevin

More about : mgcp sip

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 11:14:29 PM

On 24 May 2004 19:39:18 -0700, kburns69@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote:

>In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
>call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?

I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.

http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help

Phil
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 12:36:59 AM

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 24 May 2004 19:39:18 -0700, kburns69@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote:
>

>>In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
>>call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?
>

> I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
> had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.
>
> http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help
>
> Phil

It is.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:24:44 AM

In article <d4808$40b3e6ab$cff549e4$13916@dcanet.allthenewsgroups.com>,
SPD <blairsp@dca.net> wrote:
>Phil Thompson wrote:
>> On 24 May 2004 19:39:18 -0700, kburns69@yahoo.com (Kevin) wrote:
>>

>>>In a softswitch architecture using MGCP what
>>>call signalling protocol do the endpoints use ?
>> I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
>> had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.
>> http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help
>It is.

MGCP isn't useful end-to-end - it was designed to be used
between a call control engine and a media gateway.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com

Of the $65 million given out for Bush's "faith-based" charities,
not one penny has gone directly to Jewish or Muslim groups
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:43:32 AM

"Melinda Shore" <shore@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <d4808$40b3e6ab$cff549e4$13916@dcanet.allthenewsgroups.com>,
> SPD <blairsp@dca.net> wrote:
> >Phil Thompson wrote:

> >> I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
> >> had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.
> >> http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help
> >It is.
>
> MGCP isn't useful end-to-end - it was designed to be used
> between a call control engine and a media gateway.

You can get MGCP phones as well - Swissvoice, cisco and polycom support it
on some models.

you can generally mix the various voip control protocols - so long as the
end points use compatible end points or you can transcode, and that the
control system can handle the different protocols. All the actual voice
streams for these protocols use RTP.

eg. - cisco call manager can handle at least H.323, MGCP, SIP on the same
system and connect calls between them. i cant believe CCM is unique, but i
use that most.
> --
> Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com
>
> Of the $65 million given out for Bush's "faith-based" charities,
> not one penny has gone directly to Jewish or Muslim groups
--
Regards

May 28, 2004 1:43:33 AM

In article <igttc.283$G52.43@newsfe3-gui>,
shope <stephen_hope@xntlxworld.com> wrote:
>You can get MGCP phones as well - Swissvoice, cisco and polycom support it
>on some models.

Yes, but the original intent was that the "media gateways"
were media gateways, or relays, rather than endpoints. For
better or worse you can't control how a protocol is used
once it's released for general consumption. The point
remains, however, that while H.323 and SIP really are
end-to-end protocols (although they're mediated more often
than not these days) MGCP is not.
--

!