Sign in with
Your question

AMD Dual Core Mobo comparison help

Last response: in Motherboards
April 5, 2006 1:42:57 AM

Hi,
Im looking to build a system and am stuck trying to figureout which motherboard is best suited to my cpu choice.

Im going to get an AMD X2, onboard sound is not a requirement. Primarily a gaming board i suppose, dont want sli/crossfire.

Personally leaning toward Asus as ive had a great track record with them.

Thanks
April 5, 2006 12:53:48 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Im looking to build a system and am stuck trying to figureout which motherboard is best suited to my cpu choice.

Im going to get an AMD X2, onboard sound is not a requirement. Primarily a gaming board i suppose, dont want sli/crossfire.

Thanks

Overclockers swear by DFI. You might not think you want to OC, but what if you change your mind? Similar logic will lead you to an Opteron over an X2, to OCZ RAM, etc.
April 5, 2006 1:09:52 PM

Another great option is the Asus A8R MVP.
Related resources
April 5, 2006 1:48:28 PM

My suggestion is to buy an Asus A8N-SLI Premium. It is one of the best mobos and great for o/c
April 5, 2006 2:45:27 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

What features do you need? Overclocking important? I swear by my Biostar TForce, $60 of joy.
April 6, 2006 1:38:01 AM

Thanks a lot guys. Have been poking about and hearing gd things about the A8R-MVP, so thinking of going with that.
Not a big oveclocker here but appreciate the suggestion - did my overclocking early, back when it was err... more dangerous - both to my hardware and my bank account. Have learned to live happily without it, lol.

U suggested an SLI board - do those cost a lot more than the non-SLI boards, and does anyone have a good idea how it compares to the A8R? I havent been able to find a direct enough comparison anyway, thinki should just bite the bullet, hehe
April 6, 2006 1:54:57 PM

SLi boards are typically more expensive than their non-SLi counterparts. The chipsets have ore features and are more expensive. That being said there are inexpensive boards that have SLi. I don't recommend SLi or Crossfire setups - the price/performance ratio is unacceptable to me and SLi primarily benefits people who game at very high res (higher than 1280X1024), want all of the eye candy enabled and have unlimited budgets. Although I don't recommend an Sli/CF setup, the extra PCIe x16 slot is not a waste. The slots are downward compatible and you can actually put in any PCIe card that is x16 or lower (x8, x4, or x1) in that slot and there are non-GPU cards that are x16. Another option if you want to do a multi-monitor setup, you can use the second PCIe X16 for another vid card.
!