Epson compatible ink cartidges - any good?

We need ink and notice that we can get cartridges very much cheaper as Epson
chipped compatible.
What does chipped mean?...and will these be ok?
If the worst came to the worst and in practice the ink quality was found to
be not as excellent as genuine Epson ink could this effect the printer.
Thanks

--

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:41:35 -0000, "Dave Stockdale"
<dave@stockdale65.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>We need ink and notice that we can get cartridges very much cheaper as Epson
>chipped compatible.
>What does chipped mean?...and will these be ok?
>If the worst came to the worst and in practice the ink quality was found to
>be not as excellent as genuine Epson ink could this effect the printer.
>Thanks

google is your friend

Dave Stockdale wrote:
> We need ink and notice that we can get cartridges very much cheaper as Epson
> chipped compatible.
> What does chipped mean?...and will these be ok?
> If the worst came to the worst and in practice the ink quality was found to
> be not as excellent as genuine Epson ink could this effect the printer.
> Thanks

I use nothing but "compatible" cartridges in my old stylus color 400,
since the photo output was only so-so anyway and it's main use was for
text for the odd letter here and there I could not see the point in
spending the $$ for epson refills. However I just purchased an R300, and
it's main purpose will be photo's printed at best quality possible, so I
am reluctant to try the generic's at this time. Having said that I am
tempted to try the refillables from Atlantic Ink Jet because they are so
inexpensive in comparison, but I just bought a full set(epson) from ebay
for 60$ so I am good for awhile yet. $60 is still a lot, but from
retailers up here they are $19 per each color and slightly more for the
black, so it's still a savings.

I never had any problems with the cheap k-recs in my 400, a print head
clogged once from lack of use I think, but some windex and repeated head
cleanings fixed that in a jiffy.

hth

"Glen S" <whoknows@no_spam.com> wrote in message
> Dave Stockdale wrote:
>> We need ink and notice that we can get cartridges very much cheaper as
>> Epson
>> chipped compatible.
>> What does chipped mean?...and will these be ok?
>> If the worst came to the worst and in practice the ink quality was found
>> be not as excellent as genuine Epson ink could this effect the printer.
>> Thanks
>>
> I use nothing but "compatible" cartridges in my old stylus color 400,
> since the photo output was only so-so anyway and it's main use was for
> text for the odd letter here and there I could not see the point in
> spending the $$ for epson refills. However I just purchased an R300, and
> it's main purpose will be photo's printed at best quality possible, so I
> am reluctant to try the generic's at this time. Having said that I am
> tempted to try the refillables from Atlantic Ink Jet because they are so
> inexpensive in comparison, but I just bought a full set(epson) from ebay
> for 60$ so I am good for awhile yet. $60 is still a lot, but from
> retailers up here they are $19 per each color and slightly more for the
> black, so it's still a savings.
>
> I never had any problems with the cheap k-recs in my 400, a print head
> clogged once from lack of use I think, but some windex and repeated head
> cleanings fixed that in a jiffy.
>
> hth
-----------------------
OK, Many thanks

"dave stockdale" <davestockdale@copperstream.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Glen S" <whoknows@no_spam.com> wrote in message
>> Dave Stockdale wrote:
>>> We need ink and notice that we can get cartridges very much cheaper as
>>> Epson
>>> chipped compatible.
>>> What does chipped mean?...and will these be ok?
>>> If the worst came to the worst and in practice the ink quality was found
>>> be not as excellent as genuine Epson ink could this effect the printer.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> I use nothing but "compatible" cartridges in my old stylus color 400,
>> since the photo output was only so-so anyway and it's main use was for
>> text for the odd letter here and there I could not see the point in
>> spending the $$ for epson refills. However I just purchased an R300, and
>> it's main purpose will be photo's printed at best quality possible, so I
>> am reluctant to try the generic's at this time. Having said that I am
>> tempted to try the refillables from Atlantic Ink Jet because they are so
>> inexpensive in comparison, but I just bought a full set(epson) from ebay
>> for 60$ so I am good for awhile yet. $60 is still a lot, but from
>> retailers up here they are $19 per each color and slightly more for the
>> black, so it's still a savings.
>>
>> I never had any problems with the cheap k-recs in my 400, a print head
>> clogged once from lack of use I think, but some windex and repeated head
>> cleanings fixed that in a jiffy.
>>
>> hth
> -----------------------
> OK, Many thanks

I use compatables in my r300, the colour is fine but they dont last as long
as Epsons, mind you theyh cost a fraction of the cost too.

Peter.

www.printpal.com
I use this for my C84 and they are great . $6.95 and $7.95
Especially the exlarge black for $1 more..
Chipped means the carts have a chip that has to be reset to refill
See http://www.ssclg.com/epson.shtml
jim