Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting the Quad G5 - any tests I should?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 5, 2006 3:17:30 AM

ok, its offical, I'll be getting a Quad G5 at my workplace.

What kind of things should I try out :?:

all suggestions are welcome :idea:, please take in to concideration that this is Not My Machine and is in an office environment i can't do everything.

I know that many ppl are interested to know what these things can do without a bias opinion, i'll do what i can.

EDIT:

Does RAR have a benchmark for OSX?
FutureMark 03 or 05?
Are there any Photoshop action scripts worth testing?

So far on the list.

1. PS - Gaussian Blur (size? radius?...etc)
2. DivX
3. DiversHeaven


Once I have enough of a list, and have tried a few out, I'll create a new thread.

More about : quad tests

April 5, 2006 4:17:40 AM

im going to resort to A childish responce

that computer PWNS.

now that i got it out of the way i must say, that comp would give duel opty 154 a run for its money.

but if you had to choose between the two i would buy the apple. windows XP and vista dont match OSX. vista direct knockoff.
April 5, 2006 4:21:21 AM

Quote:
im going to resort to A childish responce

that computer PWNS.

now that i got it out of the way i must say, that comp would give duel opty 154 a run for its money.

but if you had to choose between the two i would buy the apple. windows XP and vista dont match OSX. vista direct knockoff.


I like the G5's for a few reasons,

1) They use faster HyperTransport (1.25GHz/2.5GHz Full) but I'm not sure if it's 16-bit or 32-bit links, if anybody knows, please tell me :) 

2) RISC - RISC pwns all ;D

3) OS X - OS X is the sh!izn!t!

4) The price may be high, but you get what you pay for

I'll ask a buddy of mine, he's a fiend with Macintosh and should know something or 2 about good progz to test.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
Related resources
April 5, 2006 4:22:24 AM

Quote:
now that i got it out of the way i must say, that comp would give duel opty 154 a run for its money.


The Apple would blow away the Opty's because the Apple has two dual cores, whereas those are just two single core Opty's.
April 5, 2006 4:23:47 AM

I'm just waiting for my grandfather to get a Mac Book Pro and give me his Power Book 12-inch.
April 5, 2006 4:24:57 AM

Quote:
now that i got it out of the way i must say, that comp would give duel opty 154 a run for its money.


The Apple would blow away the Opty's because the Apple has two dual cores, whereas those are just two single core Opty's.

Idk, if I had the choice of dual 256's (3GHz) or the Quad G5's, I'd have to grab the Opties. Only because w/ NUMA and the right board, those 256's would beat the G5's.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 5, 2006 4:26:21 AM

Quote:
I'm just waiting for my grandfather to get a Mac Book Pro and give me his Power Book 12-inch.


A friend of mine was speccing out Macs for a School Teacher's Class (eCommerce Program), and I was drooling over the parts he had chosen, he was lookin' @ Core Duo iMac's w/ 2GB of RAM and the Quad-G5 w/ 4GB of RAM, such awesomeness ;D.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 5, 2006 5:06:14 AM

LOL i love amd but my 12 inch 1 ghz g4 powerbook rivals my wife. I LOVE THEM BOTH :( 

yea if microsoft could produce a OS like OSX then i would change over 100 %

till then games and e-mail on the A64 3500 , work related documents on the powerbook.
April 5, 2006 11:36:41 AM

Quote:
ok, its offical, I'll be getting a Quad G5 at my workplace.

What kind of things should I try out :?:

Photoshop is a given, but does anyone have any spacific test is should try out?

all suggestions are welcome :idea:, but taking in to concideration that this is Not My Machine and is in an office environment i can't do everything.

I know that many ppl are interested to know what these things can do with out a bias opinion, i'll do what i can.


Go on and burn it with Photoshop (maybe aplying gaussian blur in a 250cmx250cm image) and render a movie on Final Cut at the same time (if u have the ram for that...)
U got a big ass machine there!
April 6, 2006 3:31:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I'll ask a buddy of mine, he's a fiend with Macintosh and should know something or 2 about good progz to test.


thanks.

Ideally i'd like something to that would typicly be refrenced. on a Mac or PC.
April 6, 2006 3:35:05 AM

Quote:
You could also try some DivX encoding as well.

For Photoshop CS2, use DriverHeaven's test suit and check again their results.


DivX, didn't think of that. Good idea.

I'll look into DriversHeaven
April 6, 2006 3:40:11 AM

Quote:

Go on and burn it with Photoshop (maybe aplying gaussian blur in a 250cmx250cm image) and render a movie on Final Cut at the same time (if u have the ram for that...)
U got a big ass machine there!


I figured i would do a Gaussian test.. but i didn't know if there was a standerd test size, and if a spacific image should be used.

I'll have enough RAM to do that sort of thing, but i won't have FCP. Not in the forseable future anyhow.
!