Getting the Quad G5 - any tests I should?

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
ok, its offical, I'll be getting a Quad G5 at my workplace.

What kind of things should I try out :?:

all suggestions are welcome :idea:, please take in to concideration that this is Not My Machine and is in an office environment i can't do everything.

I know that many ppl are interested to know what these things can do without a bias opinion, i'll do what i can.

EDIT:

Does RAR have a benchmark for OSX?
FutureMark 03 or 05?
Are there any Photoshop action scripts worth testing?

So far on the list.

1. PS - Gaussian Blur (size? radius?...etc)
2. DivX
3. DiversHeaven

Once I have enough of a list, and have tried a few out, I'll create a new thread.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
im going to resort to A childish responce

that computer PWNS.

now that i got it out of the way i must say, that comp would give duel opty 154 a run for its money.

but if you had to choose between the two i would buy the apple. windows XP and vista dont match OSX. vista direct knockoff.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
im going to resort to A childish responce

that computer PWNS.

now that i got it out of the way i must say, that comp would give duel opty 154 a run for its money.

but if you had to choose between the two i would buy the apple. windows XP and vista dont match OSX. vista direct knockoff.

I like the G5's for a few reasons,

1) They use faster HyperTransport (1.25GHz/2.5GHz Full) but I'm not sure if it's 16-bit or 32-bit links, if anybody knows, please tell me :)

2) RISC - RISC pwns all ;D

3) OS X - OS X is the sh!izn!t!

4) The price may be high, but you get what you pay for

I'll ask a buddy of mine, he's a fiend with Macintosh and should know something or 2 about good progz to test.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

The Apple would blow away the Opty's because the Apple has two dual cores, whereas those are just two single core Opty's.

Idk, if I had the choice of dual 256's (3GHz) or the Quad G5's, I'd have to grab the Opties. Only because w/ NUMA and the right board, those 256's would beat the G5's.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm just waiting for my grandfather to get a Mac Book Pro and give me his Power Book 12-inch.

A friend of mine was speccing out Macs for a School Teacher's Class (eCommerce Program), and I was drooling over the parts he had chosen, he was lookin' @ Core Duo iMac's w/ 2GB of RAM and the Quad-G5 w/ 4GB of RAM, such awesomeness ;D.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
LOL i love amd but my 12 inch 1 ghz g4 powerbook rivals my wife. I LOVE THEM BOTH :(

yea if microsoft could produce a OS like OSX then i would change over 100 %

till then games and e-mail on the A64 3500 , work related documents on the powerbook.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
ok, its offical, I'll be getting a Quad G5 at my workplace.

What kind of things should I try out :?:

Photoshop is a given, but does anyone have any spacific test is should try out?

all suggestions are welcome :idea:, but taking in to concideration that this is Not My Machine and is in an office environment i can't do everything.

I know that many ppl are interested to know what these things can do with out a bias opinion, i'll do what i can.

Go on and burn it with Photoshop (maybe aplying gaussian blur in a 250cmx250cm image) and render a movie on Final Cut at the same time (if u have the ram for that...)
U got a big ass machine there!

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Go on and burn it with Photoshop (maybe aplying gaussian blur in a 250cmx250cm image) and render a movie on Final Cut at the same time (if u have the ram for that...)
U got a big ass machine there!

I figured i would do a Gaussian test.. but i didn't know if there was a standerd test size, and if a spacific image should be used.

I'll have enough RAM to do that sort of thing, but i won't have FCP. Not in the forseable future anyhow.