setting up printer

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi all,
We are having windows 2000 adv server as domain and all clients logon to the
domain, the server has 1 epson laser printer attached to it and shared. We
have various client machines running windows xp, 2000, to windows 98. We
oftenly has printing problem through this network. Our users often get their
documents jam in the server spool or they have problem sending their
printing job from their machine.
Here are some ways our printer in the client setup.
- setup/connect automatically as new printer by the following command line:
\\windowsserver\epsonprinter
and it will connect to the domain printer automatically and ready to use.
problem: this often jam server spool when user sends their documents.
- server logon script that: net use lpt2 \\windowsserver\epsonprinter
that map lpt port to this network share, then add printer on the user
computer to use this port.
this works but often caused problem if user change or alter their password.
- adding new printer and select network printer. i think this has no
different with the first way.
We wonder if there are best ways to setting up reliable network printing.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jemy
3 answers Last reply
More about setting printer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi all,
    Here is description of our problem again. One of our client running xp
    professional with printers successfully installed, however whenever it
    prints to the network printer (the one attached to the windows 2000 adv
    server), it managed to print out document successfully, but the spool doesnt
    delete the job, causing queuing other documents. We have to restart the
    printer spooler each time to clear the print job. Appreciate very much for
    info to get around this problem.
    Thanks from Jemy

    "Jemy" <cutejemy@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > We are having windows 2000 adv server as domain and all clients logon to
    > the domain, the server has 1 epson laser printer attached to it and
    > shared. We have various client machines running windows xp, 2000, to
    > windows 98. We oftenly has printing problem through this network. Our
    > users often get their documents jam in the server spool or they have
    > problem sending their printing job from their machine.
    > Here are some ways our printer in the client setup.
    > - setup/connect automatically as new printer by the following command
    > line: \\windowsserver\epsonprinter
    > and it will connect to the domain printer automatically and ready to use.
    > problem: this often jam server spool when user sends their documents.
    > - server logon script that: net use lpt2 \\windowsserver\epsonprinter
    > that map lpt port to this network share, then add printer on the user
    > computer to use this port.
    > this works but often caused problem if user change or alter their
    > password.
    > - adding new printer and select network printer. i think this has no
    > different with the first way.
    > We wonder if there are best ways to setting up reliable network printing.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Jemy

  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:19:22 +0800, "Jemy" <cutejemy@REMOVEhotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Here is description of our problem again. One of our client running xp
    >professional with printers successfully installed, however whenever it
    >prints to the network printer (the one attached to the windows 2000 adv
    >server), it managed to print out document successfully, but the spool doesnt
    >delete the job, causing queuing other documents. We have to restart the
    >printer spooler each time to clear the print job. Appreciate very much for
    >info to get around this problem.

    Best guess is the printer driver. Make sure it's the latest, correct
    version for the printer and for W2K and not XP, 2003 or NT.

    Jeff

    >"Jemy" <cutejemy@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> We are having windows 2000 adv server as domain and all clients logon to
    >> the domain, the server has 1 epson laser printer attached to it and
    >> shared. We have various client machines running windows xp, 2000, to
    >> windows 98. We oftenly has printing problem through this network. Our
    >> users often get their documents jam in the server spool or they have
    >> problem sending their printing job from their machine.
    >> Here are some ways our printer in the client setup.
    >> - setup/connect automatically as new printer by the following command
    >> line: \\windowsserver\epsonprinter
    >> and it will connect to the domain printer automatically and ready to use.
    >> problem: this often jam server spool when user sends their documents.
    >> - server logon script that: net use lpt2 \\windowsserver\epsonprinter
    >> that map lpt port to this network share, then add printer on the user
    >> computer to use this port.
    >> this works but often caused problem if user change or alter their
    >> password.
    >> - adding new printer and select network printer. i think this has no
    >> different with the first way.
    >> We wonder if there are best ways to setting up reliable network printing.
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    >> Jemy

  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If it's an XP box, it'll need an XP driver, regardless of the fact that the
    server is running 2K. I do agree that the most likely culprit is the driver
    on either the client or the server.

    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:19:22 +0800, "Jemy" <cutejemy@REMOVEhotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Here is description of our problem again. One of our client running xp
    > >professional with printers successfully installed, however whenever it
    > >prints to the network printer (the one attached to the windows 2000 adv
    > >server), it managed to print out document successfully, but the spool
    doesnt
    > >delete the job, causing queuing other documents. We have to restart the
    > >printer spooler each time to clear the print job. Appreciate very much
    for
    > >info to get around this problem.
    >
    > Best guess is the printer driver. Make sure it's the latest, correct
    > version for the printer and for W2K and not XP, 2003 or NT.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > >"Jemy" <cutejemy@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi all,
    > >> We are having windows 2000 adv server as domain and all clients logon
    > >> the domain, the server has 1 epson laser printer attached to it and
    > >> shared. We have various client machines running windows xp, 2000, to
    > >> windows 98. We oftenly has printing problem through this network. Our
    > >> users often get their documents jam in the server spool or they have
    > >> problem sending their printing job from their machine.
    > >> Here are some ways our printer in the client setup.
    > >> - setup/connect automatically as new printer by the following command
    > >> line: \\windowsserver\epsonprinter
    > >> and it will connect to the domain printer automatically and ready to
    use.
    > >> problem: this often jam server spool when user sends their documents.
    > >> - server logon script that: net use lpt2 \\windowsserver\epsonprinter
    > >> that map lpt port to this network share, then add printer on the user
    > >> computer to use this port.
    > >> this works but often caused problem if user change or alter their
    > >> password.
    > >> - adding new printer and select network printer. i think this has no
    > >> different with the first way.
    > >> We wonder if there are best ways to setting up reliable network
    printing.
    > >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    > >> Jemy

Windows 2000 Printers Microsoft Servers Windows XP