CPU-Z innacurate??

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I have a dual core Pentium D 830 running at 3Ghz per core. When I run CPU-Z it always says my CPUs are running at 2808Mhz (2.8Ghz). When I change the view to the 2nd processor the clock speed is identical exact to the last megabyte of the speed of the other CPU, do both cores really run at the exact same speed all the time? And whats with this CPU-Z telling me 2.8Ghz, anyone have any comments or suggestions, thanx.

Any other CPU app says they both run at 3Ghz, but I think CPU-Z is the only one that measures in real time, anyone know of any other apps other than CPU-Z that run in real time?

Breman

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
do intel procs come with a cool n quiet equivalent?

Yha its called Speed Step

I'd check to see wheter its enabled, becuase if so I do believe that 2.8GHz is the lowes it can clock your cpu down to

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Yeah, its funny everything seems fine, anywhere I check hardware settings whether it be in windows or other apps like system mechanic, they say everythings fine, they are running at 3Ghz. I checked the BIOS settings and everything. in there seems fine aswell.

Someone mentioned here that Intel's speedstep might slow it down to a minimum of 2.8Ghz, but everytime I check CPU-Z whether I'm encoding video (and task manager says I'm running at 50% 60% 70% even tried 100%) or just sitting idle it always says both core are running at 2808Mhz or 2807Mhz.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well, I found this on the CPU-Z site FAQ:

Q: CPU-Z reports my Pentium 4 3GHz or above with a 2800MHz CPU speed.
A: This is the effect of C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and/or EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology). Load your system and you will see the frequency increase to its nominal value.

So I don't know what to think, and I guess thats on a single core... :lol:

Edit: try a real CPU load... Prime95 on both cores.

mpjesse

Splendid
Hey mpjesse, I'm beginning to get what you were saying!

LOL. At least this guy has a decent question. I'm tired of seeing these type of questions:

"Should I wait for Conroe or get AM2?"

"Should I get a Pentium 965 or a FX-60?"

"What's the best CPU for photoshop, the internet, word, and World of Warcraft?"

STFU! Read the god damned CPU charts!

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
mpjesse.

I've learned to get used to it. hence why i lurk more than post

I've given up posting in the "which one should I..." threads.

it's the same fucking question over and over and over again

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hey... where should I go for the best burger.

I was thinking burgerking.. then though mcdonalds.

Or maybe I should think different and go for taco bell.

Which would be faster?

:oops: Oh... nm.

mpjesse

Splendid
McDonalds usually pwns in pure speed. Taco Bell is also usually fast as well.

From my observations, these chains are the slowest:

Sonic
Carls Jr.
Burger King
Whataburger
Jack in the Box

As far as burger quality, I'd have to say Carls Jr. and Burger King are the best. McDonalds is the worst.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ya, I agree on burger king, but you know..

I like the french fries better at mc donalds...

I seem to have the urge to just buy the burger at burger king, then the fries and mc donalds.. Just costs me more.. gas :cry:

Though.. I'd save on gas to taco bell, but actually have bad gas, in running for the other border. :oops:

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I have a dual core Pentium D 830 running at 3Ghz per core. When I run CPU-Z it always says my CPUs are running at 2808Mhz (2.8Ghz). When I change the view to the 2nd processor the clock speed is identical exact to the last megabyte of the speed of the other CPU, do both cores really run at the exact same speed all the time? And whats with this CPU-Z telling me 2.8Ghz, anyone have any comments or suggestions, thanx.

Any other CPU app says they both run at 3Ghz, but I think CPU-Z is the only one that measures in real time, anyone know of any other apps other than CPU-Z that run in real time?

this is why smart people dont buy intel dualcores or intels :)

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Yes CPU-Z does say "Q: CPU-Z reports my Pentium 4 3GHz or above with a 2800MHz CPU speed. A: This is the effect of C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and/or EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology). Load your system and you will see the frequency increase to its nominal value."

I checked the CPU temperate it was ok around 45 degrees celsius, apparently it shouldnt go over 69.8 degrees celsius. I switched off C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) and it still was the same.

I tried Loading my system, is making task manager reach 100% loading it enough or do I need a sort of benchmark software.

I've got a funny feeling that CPU-Z (yes its the latest version 1.33) is just not picking it up.

Does anyone know someone or have a D 830 and can run CPU-Z on it? Why is that the only "real time" CPU measurer. I downloaded the Intel one, it doesnt keep monitoring the clock speed like CPU-Z but it analayses everything and gives you a result and it said both core clocked 3Ghz, it also said my BUS is overclocking at 867Mhz, where it should be 800 I think.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
if everything is ok..and your cpu is an 830 d..your reading is normal ...
go in bios an disable EIST and C1E...your cpu-z is working perfectly.....with cpu-z your cpu goes down to 2.8...the multiplier is probably 14........EVERYTHING IS FINE...it will work at 3ghz when needed ..in load ...games etc....

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
if everything is ok..and your cpu is an 830 d..your reading is normal ...
go in bios an disable EIST and C1E...your cpu-z is working perfectly.....with cpu-z your cpu goes down to 2.8...the multiplier is probably 14........EVERYTHING IS FINE...it will work at 3ghz when needed ..in load ...games etc....

Thank you, coz I think you're right. Multiplier is at 14X. Whether I disabled EIST and C1E or not it says the same. I do assume it does work at nominal speed when playing games for example like you said because absolutely everything is fine and this stupid CPU-Z has got me worrying over nothing I think.

Too all the Intel haters, I think AMD is prob better too, but the question is by how much? By looking at Tom's hardware charts I see the difference is really pathetic for all this hype about AMD. My next chip will prob be AMD unless Conroe is better.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
:lol: there are many cpu-s which only in load run at their maximum capability......also dependes of operating sistem and software installed ..usualy EIST doesn`t need special software..like Cool and Quiet...it work by default in windows xp........these are speed step technologies meant to reduce the total power required to run that cpu...
.....no matter the speed step technology that cpu will run in full speed when needed....
my intel 630 shows 2,8 ghz...in idle ..that is 14x200 and jumps to 3ghz 15x200 when needed.......if i disable the EIST from bios it will show 15 multiplier and it will also require more power

Natarian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
it's funny coz I load my sytem with for example divx encoding and a virus scan, the task manager says 60% 70% 80% 90% even 100% and CPU-Z still says 2808.7Mhz. Intel got back to me and said they're not concerned with 3rd party applications, they advised me to use their Intel Processor Identification Utility and if that reads correctly then I have nothing to worry about and it did read correctly.

What do others use to load (benchmark) their system?

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
.hmmm...i`ll try that for myself.......Intel Processor Identification Utility ....
cpu-z never did any mistake also..strange......i`m a sistem builder and i use cpu-z and always worked.........i`ll try that software...Intel Processor Identification Utility ...and i`ll repply as soon as posible.......
the beauty of cpu-z is that it works with any cpu......

for benchmark i usualy use aquamark.....3dmark too but not always....
i`ll be back ...with the results

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I got Pentium D 920 2.8 GHz stock @ 2.8 GHz and CPU-Z say right... And mpjesse, You dont say anymore: -mpjesse at the end of ur posts lol