Installing Epson Printer trouble

I am trying to install an Epson Stylus 880 printer on my 98SE PC and every
time I am asked to add the CD for information, the message I get says
"could not find information about the hardware
How do I proceed?

Blair Malcolm
11 answers Last reply
More about installing epson printer trouble

    "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    it be known in news:csm126$esr$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > I am trying to install an Epson Stylus 880 printer on my
    > 98SE PC and every time I am asked to add the CD for
    > information, the message I get says "could not find
    > information about the hardware How do I proceed?

    It sounds like you are letting the computer detect the new
    printer and ask for the drivers...

    Some installs don't work well this way. Perhaps this is one of
    the printers that requires you to run a setup program on the CD
    BEFORE you first plug it in. This installs the proper drivers so
    when you plug the printer in for the first time, the computer
    already knows what it is and how to handle it.

    Check your documentation.

    "Curt Bousquet" <NNTP@scanline.com.nospam> wrote in message
    > "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    > it be known in news:csm126$esr$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    > > I am trying to install an Epson Stylus 880 printer on my
    > > 98SE PC and every time I am asked to add the CD for
    > > information, the message I get says "could not find
    > > information about the hardware How do I proceed?
    >
    > It sounds like you are letting the computer detect the new
    > printer and ask for the drivers...
    >
    > Some installs don't work well this way. Perhaps this is one of
    > the printers that requires you to run a setup program on the CD
    > BEFORE you first plug it in. This installs the proper drivers so
    > when you plug the printer in for the first time, the computer
    > already knows what it is and how to handle it.
    >
    > Check your documentation.

    You are right.After I posted my message I found an article which said that I
    must download the software which I did and successfully installed the
    printer.
    I should explain that this is on my guest PC(98) and the printer is on the
    host PC (XP)
    When I try to print I get a message" There was an error writing to LPT1.
    Printer not ready. Make sure it is ready and on line."
    It's probably a setting problem but what?
    Any suggestions
    Blair

    Blair Malcolm wrote:
    > "Curt Bousquet" <NNTP@scanline.com.nospam> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    >>it be known in news:csm126$esr$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >>

    >>>I am trying to install an Epson Stylus 880 printer on my
    >>>98SE PC and every time I am asked to add the CD for
    >>>information, the message I get says "could not find
    >>>information about the hardware How do I proceed?
    >>
    >>It sounds like you are letting the computer detect the new
    >>printer and ask for the drivers...
    >>
    >>Some installs don't work well this way. Perhaps this is one of
    >>the printers that requires you to run a setup program on the CD
    >>BEFORE you first plug it in. This installs the proper drivers so
    >>when you plug the printer in for the first time, the computer
    >>already knows what it is and how to handle it.
    >>
    >>Check your documentation.
    >

    > You are right.After I posted my message I found an article which said that I
    > must download the software which I did and successfully installed the
    > printer.
    > I should explain that this is on my guest PC(98) and the printer is on the
    > host PC (XP)
    > When I try to print I get a message" There was an error writing to LPT1.
    > Printer not ready. Make sure it is ready and on line."
    > It's probably a setting problem but what?
    > Any suggestions
    > Blair

    In your situation, doesn\t the printer driver need to be installed on
    both the computers in order for one computer to print to a printer on
    the second computer?

    Keepsake gift for young girls.
    Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    Guaranteed satisfaction
    - courteous money back
    - keep bonus gifts

    http://www.alicebook.com

    > > You are right.After I posted my message I found an article which said
    that I
    > > must download the software which I did and successfully installed the
    > > printer.
    > > I should explain that this is on my guest PC(98) and the printer is on
    the
    > > host PC (XP)
    > > When I try to print I get a message" There was an error writing to LPT1.
    > > Printer not ready. Make sure it is ready and on line."
    > > It's probably a setting problem but what?
    > > Any suggestions
    > > Blair
    > >

    > In your situation, doesn\t the printer driver need to be installed on
    > both the computers in order for one computer to print to a printer on
    > the second computer?

    I have already installed the printer in my other PC.
    Also it worked previously. I must have upset some settings
    Blair

    "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    it be known in news:csm2rk$g8j$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > You are right.After I posted my message I found an article
    > which said that I must download the software which I did
    > and successfully installed the printer.
    > I should explain that this is on my guest PC(98) and the
    > printer is on the host PC (XP)
    > When I try to print I get a message" There was an error
    > writing to LPT1. Printer not ready. Make sure it is ready
    > and on line." It's probably a setting problem but what?
    > Any suggestions
    > Blair

    OK, so you have the drivers installed, but it is still looking
    for the printer on the local printer port (LPT1:).

    What you have to do now is use the 'add printer' function on
    '98 to browse for and add the printer as a network printer (I
    assume it is 'shared' on the XP box).

    Since the drivers are already installed, it may not prompt you
    for the drivers disk when you tell it to connect to the
    network shared printer. Or it may say that some drivers are
    already installed and ask if you would like to keep the
    existing drivers. Of course, answer 'yes' to this. Once the
    network version of the printer is set up an running, you can
    delete the version of the printer that is set up to print to
    the local port.

    -OR-

    Another way to do it would be to set up a new TCP/IP 'port' on
    the Win98 computer that points to the address of the XP
    computer. Search online for instructions for installing a
    TCP/IP port on a win98 box (I can't remember the step-by-step,
    since I haven't used 98 for so long). Once the port is set up,
    you just need to tell the printer to print to the new TCP/IP
    port instead of LPT1:. This is as simple as going into the
    'ports' section of the properties for that printer and
    selecting the new port from a list of available ports.

    I know that sounds kind of complex, but it really is pretty
    straight forward.

    > OK, so you have the drivers installed, but it is still looking
    > for the printer on the local printer port (LPT1:).
    >
    > What you have to do now is use the 'add printer' function on
    > '98 to browse for and add the printer as a network printer (I
    > assume it is 'shared' on the XP box).
    >
    > Since the drivers are already installed, it may not prompt you
    > for the drivers disk when you tell it to connect to the
    > network shared printer. Or it may say that some drivers are
    > already installed and ask if you would like to keep the
    > existing drivers. Of course, answer 'yes' to this. Once the
    > network version of the printer is set up an running, you can
    > delete the version of the printer that is set up to print to
    > the local port.
    >
    > -OR-
    >
    > Another way to do it would be to set up a new TCP/IP 'port' on
    > the Win98 computer that points to the address of the XP
    > computer. Search online for instructions for installing a
    > TCP/IP port on a win98 box (I can't remember the step-by-step,
    > since I haven't used 98 for so long). Once the port is set up,
    > you just need to tell the printer to print to the new TCP/IP
    > port instead of LPT1:. This is as simple as going into the
    > 'ports' section of the properties for that printer and
    > selecting the new port from a list of available ports.
    >
    > I know that sounds kind of complex, but it really is pretty
    > straight forward.

    Thanks for your help.
    I carried out the first instruction and completed all the stages of
    installation of a network printer.
    When I was asked to give the network path I used browse and selected the
    network path from the Network Neighbourhood\Laptop\epson lp
    But the name of the shared printers was EPSONSty, so I had to change the
    name to be the same as the shared name. Why this name was different?
    Finally I got the message "This printer could not be installed. Quit all
    programmes, restart windows and try again. If the problem persists, contact
    you system administrator"
    I tried again with the same results.
    Suggestions?
    Blair

    "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    it be known in news:csqee2$lce$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > When I was asked to give the network path I used browse and
    > selected the network path from the Network
    > Neighbourhood\Laptop\epson lp But the name of the shared
    > printers was EPSONSty, so I had to change the name to be
    > the same as the shared name. Why this name was different?
    > Finally I got the message "This printer could not be
    > installed. Quit all programmes, restart windows and try
    > again. If the problem persists, contact you system
    > administrator" I tried again with the same results.
    > Suggestions?

    I'm about out of suggestions except for this last one... Win98
    does not like spaces in the printer name, so if it shows up when
    you are browsing the network neighborhood as 'epson lp' you may
    have to rename it to a one word name and try again.

    > "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    > it be known in news:csqee2$lce$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    > > When I was asked to give the network path I used browse and
    > > selected the network path from the Network
    > > Neighbourhood\Laptop\epson lp But the name of the shared
    > > printers was EPSONSty, so I had to change the name to be
    > > the same as the shared name. Why this name was different?
    > > Finally I got the message "This printer could not be
    > > installed. Quit all programmes, restart windows and try
    > > again. If the problem persists, contact you system
    > > administrator" I tried again with the same results.
    > > Suggestions?
    >
    > I'm about out of suggestions except for this last one... Win98
    > does not like spaces in the printer name, so if it shows up when
    > you are browsing the network neighborhood as 'epson lp' you may
    > have to rename it to a one word name and try again.

    I tried again with no spaces with the same result.
    The phrase "contact your system administrator" presumably means myself?
    Is there a setting for the administrator which could be blocking me?
    Blair

    "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    it be known in news:cst4af$v5o$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > I tried again with no spaces with the same result.
    > The phrase "contact your system administrator" presumably
    > means myself? Is there a setting for the administrator
    > which could be blocking me? Blair

    Nah... that it just Microsoft speak for 'we give up, ask
    somebody for help'.

    > "Blair Malcolm" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote let
    > it be known in news:cst4af$v5o$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    > > I tried again with no spaces with the same result.
    > > The phrase "contact your system administrator" presumably
    > > means myself? Is there a setting for the administrator
    > > which could be blocking me? Blair
    >
    > Nah... that it just Microsoft speak for 'we give up, ask
    > somebody for help'.

    I have done some further work and here is the complete story

    My system is two PCs Host PC is WinXP called LAPTOP and the guest PC is
    Win 98S called OEMCOMPUTER
    I have a crossover cable connection between the two PCs
    Epson Stylus Color 880 printer is connected to the XP via USB connection and
    the Printer shared name is EPSON
    My XP is connected to a USB Virtual Printer Port. for the Epson Printer 880.
    I remember reading that a PCs name should be less that 8 characters. Is this
    one of the problems?

    I then looked at the printer port on the 98 and found that it was set for
    LPT1 Epson Printer Port which was obviously wrong
    I changed this to \\laptop\epson. I then asked for capture port and it only
    showed LPT1 to LPT9 as a selection
    However I looked at the Network Neighbourhood on the 98 and found 5 printers
    2,3,4,5,&6 all Acrobat PDF writers (Copy2) and no sign of an epson printer
    The laptop had two printers one 'epson' and the other 'epson lp'. In both
    cases asking to capture printer port again showed only LPT1

    It's so near and yet so far!! Any further ideas?
    Blair

    > I then looked at the printer port on the 98 and found that it was set for
    > LPT1 Epson Printer Port which was obviously wrong
    > I changed this to \\laptop\epson. I then asked for capture port and it
    only
    > showed LPT1 to LPT9 as a selection
    > However I looked at the Network Neighbourhood on the 98 and found 5
    printers
    > 2,3,4,5,&6 all Acrobat PDF writers (Copy2) and no sign of an epson printer
    > The laptop had two printers one 'epson' and the other 'epson lp'. In both
    > cases asking to capture printer port again showed only LPT1
    >
    > It's so near and yet so far!! Any further ideas?
    > Blair

    I have solved the problem at last.
    Can now print form both PCs
    Blair