Upgrade to Pocket 2003 Second Edition

a b α HP
October 16, 2004 8:17:40 PM

Hi,
does anyone know if can I upgrade a HP Ipaq 2215h to PocketPC 2003
Second Edition?

Thank You,
Eduardo Castro
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 17, 2004 12:33:02 AM

"Eduardo S.E. de Castro" <xloki@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> Hi,
> does anyone know if can I upgrade a HP Ipaq 2215h to PocketPC 2003
> Second Edition?

No - HP has not released any upgrades for older models.
Unless this changes (v. unlikely) you won't be able to upgrade.

HTH,

Flib
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 17, 2004 12:20:54 PM

No, HP did not release SE as an upgrade at all and it doesn't look
like they will change their mind about it either.
SE is only available on their new iPAQ line..

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Does anyone else feel that this is disgusting?

Especially since HP are still selling the iPAQ's new (like the 2215) which
they have NO plans to support!

Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the critical bits?

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No, HP did not release SE as an upgrade at all and it doesn't look
> like they will change their mind about it either.
> SE is only available on their new iPAQ line..
>

> ~S.
>

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
> HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 18, 2004 12:08:44 AM

Reply inline:

"Sean Adams" <sean_b_adams@hotmail.com> wrote in news:ePhgFzHtEHA.1308
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Does anyone else feel that this is disgusting?

Yes, and their voices were muffled in HP's forums. By the way, the
Windows Mobile 2003 SE thread has been closed 2(?) months ago, and has
been filtered clean of any 'defaming' remarks by HP's moderators.
See my signature below if you want to add your 2 cents to the petition.

> Especially since HP are still selling the iPAQ's new (like the 2215)
> which they have NO plans to support!

Nothing new there either, it goes as expected.

> Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the critical bits?

No, since it's not their hardware. All that MS does is lay out the
hardware requirements such as processor power, amount of RAM/ROM
and USB connection options, for example. Apart from those, they don't know
what makes HP PPC's tick and what drivers they require to operate.
MS only delivers the bare OS, nothing else. No support either.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 18, 2004 9:04:14 PM

No, I don't think it is disgusting.

They do support the 2215, just don't offer an upgrade to the OS. It may not
be worth them doing for technical reasons, or possibly low take up in the
past.

If a machine isn't what you want you have the choice NOT to buy it, but you
did buy it. The issue here is your choice and buying decision if you bought
something you don't want- HP didn't make you buy it.

"Sean Adams" <sean_b_adams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone else feel that this is disgusting?
>
> Especially since HP are still selling the iPAQ's new (like the 2215) which
> they have NO plans to support!
>
> Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the critical bits?
>

> "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No, HP did not release SE as an upgrade at all and it doesn't look
> > like they will change their mind about it either.
> > SE is only available on their new iPAQ line..
> >

> > ~S.
> >

> > --
> > ======================
> > ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> > OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> > iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> > HTTP://www.xarane.com
> > ======================
> > Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> > 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
> > HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 19, 2004 2:42:14 AM

I don't think that offering a 12mo warranty, which they do, and will honor,
is NO plans to support. Providing something you didn't buy is not support.
Maintaining what you did buy, is.

"Sean Adams" <sean_b_adams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone else feel that this is disgusting?
>
> Especially since HP are still selling the iPAQ's new (like the 2215) which
> they have NO plans to support!
>
> Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the critical bits?
>

> "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No, HP did not release SE as an upgrade at all and it doesn't look
> > like they will change their mind about it either.
> > SE is only available on their new iPAQ line..
> >

> > ~S.
> >

> > --
> > ======================
> > ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> > OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> > iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> > HTTP://www.xarane.com
> > ======================
> > Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> > 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
> > HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 20, 2004 12:39:51 PM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cl0pho$7be$1
@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

> HP didn't make you buy it.

But that still does not give them the moral right to completely drop
a line of devices, of which some are officially only 1 year old from
the day of first production, IMHO.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 26, 2004 4:00:55 AM

There are many niggling problems with this technology which we
have come to expect to be fixed by this 'upgrade' method - we are
even prepared to pay for it, for which HP/Microsoft have
typically included a few sweeteners 'enhancements' to help us
swallow the costs.

Many of us resent being lured into a throwaway society. All of us
hate something that does not work properly. Many of these
problems have been fixed. There has simply been a commercial
decision made to deny them from us. A quick glance at the
comments in the petition makes it clear that huge numbers of
people are upset by this HP/Compaq folly. And each signatory
probably represents 30 to 100 others who feel the same but are
not aware of the petition existing, or who refrain from being
part of it as is typical of any consumer complaint. They will
vote with their feet.

Sobering thoughts.

jk

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
No, I don't think it is disgusting.

They do support the 2215, just don't offer an upgrade to the OS.
It may not
be worth them doing for technical reasons, or possibly low take
up in the
past.

If a machine isn't what you want you have the choice NOT to buy
it, but you
did buy it. The issue here is your choice and buying decision if
you bought
something you don't want- HP didn't make you buy it.

"Sean Adams" <sean_b_adams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone else feel that this is disgusting?
>
> Especially since HP are still selling the iPAQ's new (like the
> 2215) which
> they have NO plans to support!
>
> Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the
> critical bits?
>

> "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No, HP did not release SE as an upgrade at all and it doesn't
> > look
> > like they will change their mind about it either.
> > SE is only available on their new iPAQ line..
> >

> > ~S.
> >

> > --
> > ======================
> > ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> > OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> > iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> > HTTP://www.xarane.com
> > ======================
> > Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> > 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
> > HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 26, 2004 4:00:56 AM

"Jim Kelly" <kellwood@compuREMOVE-TO-EMAIL-MEserve.com> wrote in message
news:o UAkYtpuEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> There are many niggling problems with this technology which we
> have come to expect to be fixed by this 'upgrade' method - we are
> even prepared to pay for it, for which HP/Microsoft have
> typically included a few sweeteners 'enhancements' to help us
> swallow the costs.

The 'old' OS still works. There will be new 'niggling problems' with the new
system, just like desktop OS's. Manufacturers didn't give Win3.11 as free
fixes to Win 3.1, Win95 away as fixes to Win 3.11, Win98 as a fix to Win 95,
Win98SE to Win98, Win ME as a fix to 98. Or XP to any of the previous OS.
They release service packs or patches when needed.

They don't give you the next OS for free.

> Many of us resent being lured into a throwaway society. All of us
> hate something that does not work properly. Many of these
> problems have been fixed. There has simply been a commercial
> decision made to deny them from us. A quick glance at the
> comments in the petition makes it clear that huge numbers of
> people are upset by this HP/Compaq folly. And each signatory
> probably represents 30 to 100 others who feel the same but are
> not aware of the petition existing, or who refrain from being
> part of it as is typical of any consumer complaint. They will
> vote with their feet.

That figure is pure speculation, and people have just as much right to say
that more people may be interested in the upgrade than actually buy it once
they find out the cost, the changes, or the potential risks involved in
changing. Around 1/3rd of those enquiring about the change actually make it.
Or where is the proof to say otherwise?

The bottom line is find out before you buy, not after. If it turns out you
where given false information regarding upgrades there are legal redresses,
if you don't ask you got what you were presented with- no real right for an
upgrade or to claim unfairness although you may feel it.
As you are so insistent about this, it was so important that you surely got
proof of the promise of a future upgrade? If so make good on the promise to
you. If you didn't have the forethought to get this promise you got what you
ordered.

> Sobering thoughts.

Sobering in the sense of unreasonable claims and that customers do not
properly research purchases before buying.

> jk
>

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> No, I don't think it is disgusting.
>
> They do support the 2215, just don't offer an upgrade to the OS.
> It may not
> be worth them doing for technical reasons, or possibly low take
> up in the
> past.
>
> If a machine isn't what you want you have the choice NOT to buy
> it, but you
> did buy it. The issue here is your choice and buying decision if
> you bought
> something you don't want- HP didn't make you buy it.
>

> "Sean Adams" <sean_b_adams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone else feel that this is disgusting?
> >
> > Especially since HP are still selling the iPAQ's new (like the
> > 2215) which
> > they have NO plans to support!
> >
> > Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the
> > critical bits?
> >

> > "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > No, HP did not release SE as an upgrade at all and it doesn't
> > > look
> > > like they will change their mind about it either.
> > > SE is only available on their new iPAQ line..
> > >

> > > ~S.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ======================
> > > ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> > > OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> > > iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> > > HTTP://www.xarane.com
> > > ======================
> > > Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> > > http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> > > 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
> > > HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
> > >
> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

Anonymous
a b α HP
October 26, 2004 4:00:57 AM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:clj44u$i7d$1
@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

> They don't give you the next OS for free.

But they -do- support it for several years, which you can't say
for HP anymore now can you?

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
October 26, 2004 4:00:57 AM

While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:51:32 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>"Jim Kelly" <kellwood@compuREMOVE-TO-EMAIL-MEserve.com> wrote in message
>news:o UAkYtpuEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> There are many niggling problems with this technology which we
>> have come to expect to be fixed by this 'upgrade' method - we are
>> even prepared to pay for it, for which HP/Microsoft have
>> typically included a few sweeteners 'enhancements' to help us
>> swallow the costs.
>>

>The 'old' OS still works. There will be new 'niggling problems' with the new
>system, just like desktop OS's. Manufacturers didn't give Win3.11 as free
>fixes to Win 3.1, Win95 away as fixes to Win 3.11, Win98 as a fix to Win 95,
>Win98SE to Win98, Win ME as a fix to 98. Or XP to any of the previous OS.
>They release service packs or patches when needed.
>
>They don't give you the next OS for free.
fair enough, but at the least they could do is give us the opportunity
of buying an upgrade from them.
I for one wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade.
--
Tsunami
"the geek shall inherit the earth"

"Tsunami" <tsunami_65@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
> Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:51:32 +0100, "AlanS"
> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >"Jim Kelly" <kellwood@compuREMOVE-TO-EMAIL-MEserve.com> wrote in message
> >news:o UAkYtpuEHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> There are many niggling problems with this technology which we
> >> have come to expect to be fixed by this 'upgrade' method - we are
> >> even prepared to pay for it, for which HP/Microsoft have
> >> typically included a few sweeteners 'enhancements' to help us
> >> swallow the costs.
> >>

> >The 'old' OS still works. There will be new 'niggling problems' with the
new
> >system, just like desktop OS's. Manufacturers didn't give Win3.11 as
free
> >fixes to Win 3.1, Win95 away as fixes to Win 3.11, Win98 as a fix to Win
95,
> >Win98SE to Win98, Win ME as a fix to 98. Or XP to any of the previous OS.
> >They release service packs or patches when needed.
> >
> >They don't give you the next OS for free.
> fair enough, but at the least they could do is give us the opportunity
> of buying an upgrade from them.
> I for one wouldn't mind paying for an upgrade.
> --
> Tsunami

That's 2 customers now. Worthwhile to any company not interested in profit.
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 26, 2004 12:53:07 PM

Get off your donkey! No one here is insisting that it be free. We
buy from reputable companies expecting them to redress any issues
that arise. End of story.

> [...]

> > Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the
> > critical bits?
> >

> > "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > No, HP did not release SE as an upgrade at all and it
> > > doesn't
> > > look
> > > like they will change their mind about it either.
> > > SE is only available on their new iPAQ line..
> > >

> > > ~S.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ======================
> > > ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> > > OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> > > iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> > > HTTP://www.xarane.com
> > > ======================
> > > Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> > > http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> > > 12491 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 8th 2004!
> > > HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:

October 26, 2004 12:53:08 PM

Don't behave like a donkey.
I have not ever said anyone wanted it for free.

- "Jim Kelly" <kellwood@compuREMOVE-TO-EMAIL-MEserve.com> wrote in message
news:o GOgxWuuEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > OS.
> > It may not
> > be worth them doing for technical reasons, or possibly low take
> > up in the
> > past.
> >
> > If a machine isn't what you want you have the choice NOT to buy
> > it, but you
> > did buy it. The issue here is your choice and buying decision
> > if
> > you bought
> > something you don't want- HP didn't make you buy it.
> >

> > "Sean Adams" <sean_b_adams@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anyone else feel that this is disgusting?
> > >
> > > Especially since HP are still selling the iPAQ's new (like
> > > the
> > > 2215) which
> > > they have NO plans to support!
> > >
> > > Can MS not intervene here and issue a patch for just the

October 26, 2004 12:53:09 PM

> Don't behave like a donkey.
> I have not ever said anyone wanted it for free.
>
> - "Jim Kelly" <kellwood@compuREMOVE-TO-EMAIL-MEserve.com> wrote in message
> news:o GOgxWuuEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Get off your donkey! No one here is insisting that it be free.

We
> > buy from reputable companies expecting them to redress any issues
> > that arise. End of story.

btw patches are issued for serious problems, not new operating systems. If
you have issues talk to your manufacturer. But MS don't give you a copy of
XP if ME has problems- it issues patches.

The issue is yours- check suitability of things before you buy. You bought
your house and complained to the builder because the newer ones include a
burglar alarm and an electric garage door and you 'old' house should have
them? Or the new model of car now includes central locking and the one you
bought didn't?

Get over yourself- you chose and bought the machine you aren't happy with-
moan at yourself. You bought it- take responsibility for your inadequate
choice, learn from the experience and next time only buy if it is what you
want, learn to ask relevant questions before you buy and moan.

> [...]
> >

> > > Sobering thoughts.
> > >

> > Sobering in the sense of unreasonable claims and that customers
> > do not
> > properly research purchases before buying.
> >
> > > jk
> > >

> > > "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > No, I don't think it is disgusting.
> > >
> > > They do support the 2215, just don't offer an upgrade to the
> > > OS.
> > > It may not
> > > be worth them doing for technical reasons, or possibly low take
> > > up in the
> > > past.
> > >
> > > If a machine isn't what you want you have the choice NOT to buy
> > > it, but you
> > > did buy it. The issue here is your choice and buying decision
> > > if
> > > you bought
> > > something you don't want- HP didn't make you buy it.

October 27, 2004 4:51:01 AM

Get over yourself- you chose and bought the machine you aren't
happy with-
moan at yourself. You bought it- take responsibility for your
inadequate
choice, learn from the experience and next time only buy if it is
what you
want, learn to ask relevant questions before you buy and moan.
<<<

Alan,
Twelve and a half thousand vocal people DO NOT AGREE with you . .
and they are just the tip of the iceberg. People with your
attitude are at the basis of this inability we now have of
trusting reputations that have taken years to build up. "The
let's cash in on the hard earned reputation of our forefathers".
"Sell the farm". Call it what you will. You believe in 'let the
buyer be aware'. We do not.

Try and find accurate honest specifications or specific
declarations of what the new products can be trusted to do. It
isn't there to be found. Just marketing hype and raw specs hiding
the cost reducing initiatives. Who wants a smaller screen? Why
include an old version of Outlook when the current version is so
much better? Who deserves a 'dictaphone' that can't even record
and play back ones voice adequately to recognise words clearly,
let alone play music pleasantly? Who wants such a small speaker
that in-car navigation can't be heard when it could in older
models? Menus so contorted that even a techo can't unravel them
easily. Reminders that interrupt but if you dare to turn off the
display will be 'dismissed' and not kept for later review.
Synching to two computers - what a fantastic idea until you are
forced to do a hard-reset and find that there is not an option to
sync in either way such that you cannot return to the delightful
finesse of having home and work PCs synched via the iPaq. Thirty
second delays when you try to open a simple note that you have
only just closed? Displays that are virtually impossible to read
in bright sunlight - though claimed that this is their strength?
Power settings which simply do not react the way they are meant
to. WiFi and networking that is thoughtlessly configured and
difficult to use from a user's point of view. Connection via
mobile phones to use the Internet/email way to hard despite the
publicity. Etc etc. And these are just the issues with my H5550 -
the most expensive iPaq available - yes, with all of the latest
patches applied at great expense in time and worry.

Microsoft and HP 'Invent' - we expect much better than this.
Alan, with your terse comments and nasty attitude it's not hard
to tell that you do not rely on an expensive Pocket-PC to do an
honest day's work or earnest contribution to this planet's
well-being. This is a gentle plea to the big American companies
who control directions in such matters to not lose their soul. If
they make their products work properly everyone of us will be
their best salespersons - let us down and just watch the
disappointing results. Your only customers will be the gullible
who respond to marketing. What a pathetic customer base you will
then have, especially compared to one developed by word-of-mouth
spread due to wonderfully happy productive customers.

Do the right thing HP and Microsoft!! I am personally in a
position to recommend a great number of Pocket PCs (etc) to be
purchased. Until I see serious improvements in both old models
and new, I will not.

Goodbye.

jk
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 27, 2004 4:51:02 AM

"Jim Kelly" <kellwood@compuREMOVE-TO-EMAIL-MEserve.com> wrote in message

cut

Until I see serious improvements in both old models
> and new, I will not.
>
> Goodbye.
>
> jk

It's a bit late moaning now. If it was something of serious concern you
should have done the sensible thing- ask and get a guarantee. You didn't ,
moaning at your failings but blaming the manufacturers is the way to go. Oh,
you have ..................
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 29, 2004 8:51:23 PM

Interesting thread. I'm one of the "former HP customer" group too. I
have an iPaq 4155 which I love. What I don't love is the lack of support
I've received from HP on this $500 investment. Did they shortchange me?
No, they never promised an OS upgrade, free or otherwise. My warranty
was only 90 days, so I really didn't have a legitimate complaint when
they wanted a credit card number to help me with a problem on my 9 month
old unit. However, I do have a choice when it comes time to buy my next
PDA, and my choice is not going to be another HP.
I do believe in 'let the buyer beware' - it's all about personal
responsibility. I'm responsible for me, not some corporate big brother
or government nanny state. But by the same token, I have no obligation
to be a loyal customer - if HP or any other business entity wants that
loyalty, they're going to earn it. In my estimation, they've given me
the least possible support, so I'm rewarding them with the least
possible business.
!