VGA cooler for geforce 4200ti

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I'm looking for a new VGA fan for a geforce 4200ti whose fan went out. However, the cheapest I can find is $20 plus shipping. I just need a simple fan that will get rid of the extreme artifacts caused by its current lack of a fan. (It's not currently being used.) Anyone know where to get a good VGA fan for a 4200ti for less?

cleeve

Illustrious
I dunno what could be cheaper, maybe look for a Crystal Orb?
They used to be VGA coolers but are now considered chipset coolers. Still your card is older and a crystal orb will handle it.

I think those'll probably be less than $10...

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Crystal Orbs seem to be out of stock everywhere I go. Any other suggestions? I found a THERMALTAKE A1178 CRYSTAL ORB Chipset & VGA Cooler on ebay, but now after doing more research, I found that the only geforce 4 models it is compatible with is the MX line. What do you think?

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Hey TurdBurglar:

I've got your exact same issue on a TI 4200 by evga. The fan went out and I didn't want to spent lots of money on it. Here's what I did to save some money...

I got 2 PCI slot covers and I got a 92mm (you can get an 80mm fan if you want to) and I used epoxy to mount the fan onto one of the PCI slot covers. I wanted 2 days for the epoxy to completely dry. After the fan was dried on the slot cover, I used the epoxy to glue the second PCI slot cover to the first one w/ the fan on it. It's hard to show you how it's done but you'll see which way you need to mount the fan and slot cover once you start the process. Essentially, the end result is a home-made vga cooler that is more than adaquate to cool that GPU and is quiet (because epoxy acts like an insulator) and it's practically free!

One word of caution: Make sure you double check the clarence of your PCI bus. My fan was barely not touching the PCI bus and if you use an 80mm fan, you should have enough clarence to be ok.

Hope this helps.

TTFN

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Interesting. I do have an extra 80mm fan laying around and a couple of pci slot covers on the computer itself. I'm not real sure on why 2 covers would be necessary. Also, I would assume a heat sink and thermal compound would be necessary...?

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I just did something kind of simmilar just look at the pic
P1000156.jpg

I pluged the fan into the mobo, it just runs full out all the time and does fine.

I also when looking for a soultion to my vga cooler problem, found ppl that use artic silver thermal adhesive to glue on an older p2 cpu hsf and that works great for them, so if you got one of thoes sitting around you just need some of that as glue thats about 10 bucks.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Found a Crystal Orb at outpost.com but it ends up being $19.50 after shipping. Seems like it's not worth it. I may try rigging an 80mm fan and a heatsink off an MX440.

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
The reason why you need 2 pci slot covers is that the first slot is where the fan mounts and the second slot is where the first slot mounts to and where it's screwed in to the case. The whole setup is perpendicular. so the one slot gets screwed into the case while the other slot with the fan is glued to it with the fan on it.....

The shape is kind of like this....

I know this picture sucks ass, but I hope you get the point...

TTFN

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Is this what you are saying?

------------------------------------------------------------------ti4200 card
-------------------------------- pci slot cover
.-------------------------------fan blowing at card glued to pci slot cover above
. ^ ^ ^
. ^ ^ ^
pci slot cover

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
man just do what I did and glue the fan right on the old heat sink, I just used high temp silicon glue (that red stuff at the top of the fan) and my old amd hsf fan.

you can also find PCI powered fans - that are made for the purpose of blowing air from outside on the VGA card.

Gluing a fan on the older sink (provided you removed the burnt-out fan) is also a very good option.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Those are all VGA fans but compatibility and cost would be my concerns. If I was going to spend 20 or 30 bucks on cooling, I would just apply that to a new 6600 purchase. I'm working on a homemade heatsink & fan combo now. I'll let you know how it turns out. The fan is from a 500mhz celeron cpu heatsink/fan combo. The heatsink I'm using is from the chipset heatsink off the same celeron motherboard. I'm letting the heat resistant contact cement dry right now. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the suggestions.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Looks like the old ti4200 is trash. Still has massive artifacts and system crashes even after I reapplied thermal compount and heatsink/fan. Worth a shot I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.