No Video after RAM upgrade

tallybuc

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Help...
Trying to fix a buddies pc and I think I've broke something.

He has an old Gateway that was running slow and having problems browsing the INternet. He had 128mb of RAM installed and I had 256 lieing around so I threw it in there for him, but when I boot up everything has power, but there is no video (video is onboard). There is no post beeps at all. All fans are spinning and the mobo light is on. When I unplug the cable from the video input the monitor powers on, so I know the monitor is okay. I took out the RAM I put in there and replaced it with the RAM he had in originally, but it didn't make a difference. I am assuming that I put more RAM on the board then it could handle, but I wouldn't think it would have this effect.

Any ideas?

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
well, how old is this computer? on PC66 - PC100 - PC133 era you had do manually adjust memory voltage (5V for PC66-100, 3.3 for PC133 if i remember right). I dont know if it is the case, but if it had a 5V PC100 and you put a 256 3.3V you might have messed something.
Or maybe you're just unlucky and the computer stopped working when you swapped memories...