Epson R300 & Black & White prints

I've recently got am Epson R300, primarily for printing photos and I'm very
pleased with the results so far.

However, I've got quite a few old black and white photos which I want to
scan and reprint on the R300. The trouble is the printer actually seems to
be producing the print by printing in colour, using all the ink cartridges -
giving a slightly brownish tinge (and presumably using up a lot of ink in
the process). Is there any way I can get it to print using just the black
ink?

Nodge
11 answers Last reply
More about epson r300 black white prints

    "Nodge" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently got am Epson R300, primarily for printing photos and I'm
    > very
    > pleased with the results so far.
    >
    > However, I've got quite a few old black and white photos which I want to
    > scan and reprint on the R300. The trouble is the printer actually seems to
    > be producing the print by printing in colour, using all the ink
    > cartridges -
    > giving a slightly brownish tinge (and presumably using up a lot of ink in
    > the process). Is there any way I can get it to print using just the black
    > ink?
    >
    > Nodge

    Use the advanced settings and tell it to print greyscale

    Peter.

    "Peter Seddon" <peter.seddon@nomail.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Nodge" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I've recently got am Epson R300, primarily for printing photos and I'm
    >> very
    >> pleased with the results so far.
    >>
    >> However, I've got quite a few old black and white photos which I want to
    >> scan and reprint on the R300. The trouble is the printer actually seems
    >> be producing the print by printing in colour, using all the ink
    >> cartridges -
    >> giving a slightly brownish tinge (and presumably using up a lot of ink in
    >> the process). Is there any way I can get it to print using just the black
    >> ink?
    >>
    >> Nodge
    >>

    > Use the advanced settings and tell it to print greyscale
    >
    > Peter.

    But be ready to expect a grainier image.

    Si.

    Si wrote:
    > "Peter Seddon" <peter.seddon@nomail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Nodge" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've recently got am Epson R300, primarily for printing photos and I'm
    >>>very
    >>>pleased with the results so far.
    >>>
    >>>However, I've got quite a few old black and white photos which I want to
    >>>scan and reprint on the R300. The trouble is the printer actually seems
    >>>be producing the print by printing in colour, using all the ink
    >>>cartridges -
    >>>giving a slightly brownish tinge (and presumably using up a lot of ink in
    >>>the process). Is there any way I can get it to print using just the black
    >>>ink?
    >>>
    >>>Nodge
    >>>

    >>Use the advanced settings and tell it to print greyscale
    >>
    >>Peter.
    >>

    > But be ready to expect a grainier image.
    >
    > Si.

    Haven't tried greyscale's yet on my R300, I almost bought HP just for
    that reason, but the 80$ off I was getting on the R300 was to good to
    pass up. Reading this post though got me to wondering why Epson does not
    offer photo grey cartridges like the HP? Perhaps because the print head
    is not part of the cartridge like the HP?

    Epson does offer a "light black" ink for some of their printers, such as
    the 2200 and I believe the R800.

    Considering what one pays for the R200 and R300, I'm sure Epson figures:

    1) most people will rarely print in black only other than for line
    drawing and text

    2) The all color grayscale is pretty good

    3) It uses up a bit more ink, which helps their bottom line

    I have printed grayscale images with only the black cartridge on
    printers with even more coarse inkheads, and the results were very
    pleasing if you didn't get up in their "face", even with no light gray ink.

    Some of Epson's printers have 3rd party "Piezo" print black inks made
    for them where the drivers are specialized and the inks are different
    densities of black. The results can be stunning.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > Epson does offer a "light black" ink for some of their printers, such as
    > the 2200 and I believe the R800.
    >
    > Considering what one pays for the R200 and R300, I'm sure Epson figures:
    >
    > 1) most people will rarely print in black only other than for line
    > drawing and text
    >
    > 2) The all color grayscale is pretty good
    >
    > 3) It uses up a bit more ink, which helps their bottom line
    >
    > I have printed grayscale images with only the black cartridge on
    > printers with even more coarse inkheads, and the results were very
    > pleasing if you didn't get up in their "face", even with no light gray ink.
    >
    > Some of Epson's printers have 3rd party "Piezo" print black inks made
    > for them where the drivers are specialized and the inks are different
    > densities of black. The results can be stunning.

    I think I had a look at the "Piezo" inks on their website, IIRC they
    dont have them for the R300, but I'll have another look and see...

    You may well be correct. I am not sure which models they are offering
    the piezo set for. There may be other sets available form other sources.

    Quite honestly, you don't need anything more than a 4 color printer for
    piezo B&W printing, so you might be able to pick up a used model
    somewhere inexpensively.

    Art

    Glen S wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> Epson does offer a "light black" ink for some of their printers, such
    >> as the 2200 and I believe the R800.
    >>
    >> Considering what one pays for the R200 and R300, I'm sure Epson figures:
    >>
    >> 1) most people will rarely print in black only other than for line
    >> drawing and text
    >>
    >> 2) The all color grayscale is pretty good
    >>
    >> 3) It uses up a bit more ink, which helps their bottom line
    >>
    >> I have printed grayscale images with only the black cartridge on
    >> printers with even more coarse inkheads, and the results were very
    >> pleasing if you didn't get up in their "face", even with no light gray
    >> ink.
    >>
    >> Some of Epson's printers have 3rd party "Piezo" print black inks made
    >> for them where the drivers are specialized and the inks are different
    >> densities of black. The results can be stunning.
    >>
    > I think I had a look at the "Piezo" inks on their website, IIRC they
    > dont have them for the R300, but I'll have another look and see...

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:23:40 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Arthur Entlich
    <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

    >Epson does offer a "light black" ink for some of their printers, such as
    >the 2200 and I believe the R800.

    The R800 has two black carts. One glossy and one matte.
    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    "Peter Seddon" <peter.seddon@nomail.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Nodge" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > I've recently got am Epson R300, primarily for printing photos and I'm
    > > very
    > > pleased with the results so far.
    > >
    > > However, I've got quite a few old black and white photos which I want to
    > > scan and reprint on the R300. The trouble is the printer actually seems
    > > be producing the print by printing in colour, using all the ink
    > > cartridges -
    > > giving a slightly brownish tinge (and presumably using up a lot of ink
    in
    > > the process). Is there any way I can get it to print using just the
    black
    > > ink?
    > >
    > > Nodge
    > >

    > Use the advanced settings and tell it to print greyscale
    >
    > Peter.

    Peter, I tried that but I still got the brownish tinge which must mean the
    coloured inks were used. I think the "greyscale" setting is only to print
    colour photos as "greyscale". The photos I'm printing are already greyscale
    so it doesn't have any effect.

    Nodge

    > "Peter Seddon" <peter.seddon@nomail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nodge" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've recently got am Epson R300, primarily for printing photos and I'm
    > > > very
    > > > pleased with the results so far.
    > > >
    > > > However, I've got quite a few old black and white photos which I want
    > > > scan and reprint on the R300. The trouble is the printer actually
    seems
    > > > be producing the print by printing in colour, using all the ink
    > > > cartridges -
    > > > giving a slightly brownish tinge (and presumably using up a lot of ink
    > in
    > > > the process). Is there any way I can get it to print using just the
    > black
    > > > ink?
    > > >
    > > > Nodge
    > > >

    > > Use the advanced settings and tell it to print greyscale
    > >
    > > Peter.
    > >

    > Peter, I tried that but I still got the brownish tinge which must mean the
    > coloured inks were used. I think the "greyscale" setting is only to print
    > colour photos as "greyscale". The photos I'm printing are already
    greyscale
    > so it doesn't have any effect.
    >
    > Nodge

    Cancel that - it does in fact print in black ink only - but gives a fairly
    coarse image.

    Nodge

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Art

    Ed Ruf wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:23:40 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Arthur Entlich
    > <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Epson does offer a "light black" ink for some of their printers, such as
    >>the 2200 and I believe the R800.
    >

    > The R800 has two black carts. One glossy and one matte.
    > ----------
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Take a close look with a magnifier, you should see separate colored dots
    (cyan, magenta, cyan, etc...) if not it could be the black ink... I have
    heard complaints about the Durabrite black inks having a warm tone.

    Art

    Nodge wrote:

    > "Peter Seddon" <peter.seddon@nomail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Nodge" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've recently got am Epson R300, primarily for printing photos and I'm
    >>>very
    >>>pleased with the results so far.
    >>>
    >>>However, I've got quite a few old black and white photos which I want to
    >>>scan and reprint on the R300. The trouble is the printer actually seems

    >>>be producing the print by printing in colour, using all the ink
    >>>cartridges -
    >>>giving a slightly brownish tinge (and presumably using up a lot of ink
    >
    > in
    >
    >>>the process). Is there any way I can get it to print using just the
    >
    > black
    >
    >>>ink?
    >>>
    >>>Nodge
    >>>

    >>Use the advanced settings and tell it to print greyscale
    >>
    >>Peter.
    >>

    > Peter, I tried that but I still got the brownish tinge which must mean the
    > coloured inks were used. I think the "greyscale" setting is only to print
    > colour photos as "greyscale". The photos I'm printing are already greyscale
    > so it doesn't have any effect.
    >
    > Nodge

Printers Epson Peripherals