No video after RAM upgrade

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Video
Last response: in Memory
April 5, 2006 6:45:40 PM

Help...
Trying to fix a buddies pc and I think I've broke something.

He has an old Gateway that was running slow and having problems browsing the INternet. He had 128mb of RAM installed and I had 256 lieing around so I threw it in there for him, but when I boot up everything has power, but there is no video (video is onboard). There is no post beeps at all. All fans are spinning and the mobo light is on. When I unplug the cable from the video input the monitor powers on, so I know the monitor is okay. I took out the RAM I put in there and replaced it with the RAM he had in originally, but it didn't make a difference. I am assuming that I put more RAM on the board then it could handle, but I wouldn't think it would have this effect.

The RAM is the same brand PC133 133 mhz CL3
Any ideas?

More about : video ram upgrade

April 5, 2006 6:53:20 PM

Its possible that that old gateway can't handle that 256mb SDRAM. It could be that 128 is the max the mobo can handle, or it could be the 256 is high-density ram that wasn't available when the mobo was designed so it can't handle that, but it could handle a low-density 256.

With the original SDRAM installed, do a cmos reset. If you can't find a reset jumper on the mobo, pull the battery for 10 min or so. Hopefully that's all it needs.

I have a couple old gateways (from 1999) - the GP6-400's and similar can handle 256mb PC133, but a GP7-450 can only take 128mb on a DIMM... both bought the same day...

Mike.
a b } Memory
April 8, 2006 5:33:25 AM

Ah mike, you're wrong! All the Gateway Pentium II and newer systems could support at least 256MB per slot, so long as you got the RIGHT KIND of RAM.
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 8, 2006 5:34:36 AM

The system wouldn't power up after you put the original RAM back in? Did you put it in the correct slot? Did you make sure it went in all the way?
April 8, 2006 7:35:26 PM

Quote:
Ah mike, you're wrong! All the Gateway Pentium II and newer systems could support at least 256MB per slot, so long as you got the RIGHT KIND of RAM.

The manual could be wrong - I never tried it - but the manual for the GP7-450 (PIII) I'm running as the file server at work says 128mb is the max sized SDRAM I can put in it - and its only got 3 slots.

Mike.
April 8, 2006 8:41:11 PM

go into the bios, check the ram speed, set it to 100 mhz, reboot, let me know what happens
a b } Memory
April 8, 2006 8:45:13 PM

Read the pertinent sections of the article "Navigating the Memory Upgrade Jungle", it's an Intel board.
!