will a raptor drive work with my mobo?

slimpickins

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
howdy, just tryin this out for the first time, so bear with me. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed with the pc mechanics or terminology. I currently am building a computer for the first time, and went with a little older technology to esure that it would not be too expensive first time around with the mobo and cpu. I went with an amd 3200+ (barton), and the mobo is an asus a7n8x-e deluxe which supports two sata drives. I had purchased a wd2500ks, and after several hours of grief w/ technical support from asus and w.d., found out that this mobo would not support second generation sata drives. I wanted to get into a fast sata drive that i could use with this application as well as the next. i'm sure that within a couple of years i will upgrade the cpu and mobo. I guess the mobo couldn't support the sataII because of its technology or speed. What i need to know is wether or not a raptor drive would work with this board? zi am looking at either th 74gb or 150gb raptor. or would i be wasting the money? what alternative drives would be comperable?

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I'm currently using the Athlon XP 3200+ myself, formerly with the same board you have (i fried mine in a failed overclock attempt...don't do it unless you learn how) anyways, that board does support sata 1, which to date, all WD Raptor drives are Sata 1. the review and comments you will see all over any forum or comparison is that most drives don't have enough data pushed at it to see a noticeable difference in speed. I almost got the WD Raptor myself, but wasn't yet ready to go for such a small space and instead chose larger, slower SATA drives.

short story: it should work.

jmpnjimbob

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I can’t answer your question about the Raptor drive, but there is one thing I’d like to suggest. I’ve had problems with second generation SATA WD drives and ASUS motherboards. The solution was to change a jumper on the hard drive to lock the drive at 150 MB/s transfer rate. Did you try this? Here is a link to the ASUS web page that talks about it. This web page doesn’t mention Nvidia chipsets being an issue, but it still might be worth a try.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341&p_sid=tkoaQh4i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OSZwX3Byb2RzPTk1JnBfY2F0cz0xMjMmcF9wdj0xLjk1JnBfY3Y9MS4xMjMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1KVU1QRVI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
oh yes, not good on the price per gigabyte ratio, but that's not what these drives are about, they're for maximum drive speed.

most people that buy this drive do something like this:

Sata channel 1: 10,000rpm Sata "small GB" drive, OS files
Sata channel 2: 7,200rpm SATA/IDE "large GB" drive, storage for files & OS backup.

i'm not quite at the point of affording a 10,000rpm Sata drive yet, I ordered 3 7,200rpm sata drives and a 4-port controller for my data backup, and will mostly leave the 200GB Seagate Sata drive that I have now for my OS (off the mobo controller) and a bit of file storage, with no RAID.

slimpickins

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
thanks for the tip, I haven't tried that yet, but i am curious to know if applying the jumper to pins 4 and 5 to slow the drive to a sata150 will affect the read and write times as well as the cache rate. if that is the case, maybe getting a 74 or 150 Gb raptor might be better for the primary for the os etc like one of you fellas suggested. also, i am a little leary of the noise factor of the raptors. I currently need to replace the cpu fan to quiet everything down. If they sound like rocks grinding in the case all the time, i'll pass.