Sign in with
Your question

Intel CPUs

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2006 8:15:30 PM

I have a friend who is looking for a laptop for uni, and as far as my experiance goes, intel are the ones for laptops, even though it pains me to say it. So whats what as far as intel CPU's? Whats better, celeron or centrino?

More about : intel cpus

April 5, 2006 8:16:42 PM

have him get a core duo, they are the best, hands down. (IMO)
April 5, 2006 8:18:09 PM

Even though it will be for uni, and will never use both cores?
Related resources
April 5, 2006 8:51:20 PM

Centrino is the way to go if you have to take one of those two choices otherwise, Core duo is better.
April 5, 2006 8:57:52 PM

I only use Windows right now so I don't know about dual core compatibility with other OSs. If your OS won't use both cores, then it would be pointless to get the core duo.

In that case, the Centreno platform with a Pentium M would be an excelent choice. There is a core solo that you could look into (I haven't seen much about it yet).

Centreno is not a CPU but an entire platform that includes Intel's wireless solution and chipset in addition to the Pentium M. The Pentium M is better than the Celeron M in both performance and power consumption.
April 5, 2006 9:11:57 PM

Well there we go, that proves how much i know about intel, and their marketing schemes.
April 5, 2006 9:44:02 PM

Pentium M or Core Duo. Anything with the prefix "Cele" = $h!t
April 5, 2006 9:45:57 PM

Quote:

this includes celery :lol: 
April 5, 2006 9:54:24 PM

Quote:

I always remember celerons being compaired to celery. Im sure i had a pic of it. Must have been off b3ta.
April 5, 2006 10:01:42 PM

Quote:

I always remember celerons being compaired to celery. Im sure i had a pic of it. Must have been off b3ta.I have three notebooks, 2 with Pentium M's and one with a AMD 3800. If only that M would be clocked high, it would kick ass. Its a good processor though.
April 5, 2006 10:14:22 PM

Quote:
I only use Windows right now so I don't know about dual core compatibility with other OSs. If your OS won't use both cores, then it would be pointless to get the core duo.

In that case, the Centreno platform with a Pentium M would be an excelent choice. There is a core solo that you could look into (I haven't seen much about it yet).

Centreno is not a CPU but an entire platform that includes Intel's wireless solution and chipset in addition to the Pentium M. The Pentium M is better than the Celeron M in both performance and power consumption.

Windows Professional Edition for sure handles dual core. I believe home edition does too but, not sure about it as, I don't use it.

If dual core is an option, get it.
April 5, 2006 10:42:11 PM

I'm not the one with the question. There isn't a question about Windows supporting dual core. He said that Unix doesn't and I was just saying that I don't know what Unix supports because I don't use it.
a c 99 à CPUs
April 5, 2006 11:01:57 PM

Linux does SMP.
April 6, 2006 2:28:26 AM

You kids and your celeron hating... :?

The Celeron M is equal clock for clock to the Pentium M. The Pentium M is the way to go if longer battery life is a major concern. The Pentiums are also offered at much higher speeds, if that is important to you. The fastest Celeron M is believe is only 1.5 Ghz. It is worthy to mention though that the current Celeron M is made from decent Pentium M dothan cores, and as such have absolutely no problems being overclocked to the 533 bus, turning a 1.5 Ghz cpu into a very capable 2 Ghz beast. heat and battery life are only minorly affected, as just simply upping the clock speed without upping the vcore adds little to the TPD. Though there are not many who are inclined to overclocking laptops.
a c 99 à CPUs
April 6, 2006 2:54:24 AM

There are a few differences between the Celeron Ms and the Pentium Ms:

1. Speedstep is disabled. The chip runs at full frequency and speed at all times.
2. There is only 1M of L2 cache vs. 2M.
3. The FSB is only 400MHz quad-pumped vs. 533MHz.
4. The associativity of the cache might be reduced- I will have to check up on that, but I think it goes from 8-way to 4-way or 2-way.

It is hard to overclock a laptop CPU in a laptop as the BIOSes do not generally allow for such tweaks. You'd have to try to use a software tool like ClockGen.
April 6, 2006 3:09:16 AM

Yeah, it is difficult to overclock laptops. I have heard of some people being able to use clockgen but even if that works you have to be careful because the PCI, AGP, PCIe, etc. are not locked on laptops.

I have read about a pin mod that overclocks 400 fsb Pentium Ms to 533 fsb but you have to have a laptop that supports 533 fsb.
a c 99 à CPUs
April 6, 2006 3:17:12 AM

My old 2.2GHz Pentium 4-M laptop runs at between 69 and 78 C at full load at 2.2GHz, and idles near the high fan trip point of 65 C. I would not dare overclock it lest it melt the laptop. Those temps are fine for the chip as S5 shutdown is 92 C and critical is 100 C, but still, that's just hot. I can't let the unit sit on my lap for more than 30 minutes or my thighs get a nice grilling.

And mine is only the 35W TDP model- the best of the Pentium 4 laptop chips. It runs at a lower voltage than the "normal" Mobile Pentium 4s (no -M.) I pity some of the guys I know with those chips as they have TDPs very close to the desktop counterparts. One has a 3.4 Prescott in his and that thing has 5 fans to cool it off and it still runs hot and very loudly.
April 6, 2006 3:42:33 AM

I can beleive what you said about the heat. I know a guy that has a laptop with the P4-no 'm'.

Heat is one thing that the Pentium Ms are good about. I have a 1.6GHz Dothan core Pentium M that I undervolted about 25% using Notebook Hardware Control and it runs almost passively when forced to minimum clock speed.
April 6, 2006 3:08:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one with the question. There isn't a question about Windows supporting dual core. He said that Unix doesn't and I was just saying that I don't know what Unix supports because I don't use it.

Yeah your right, I was just making a point about Windows.
April 6, 2006 11:39:34 PM

I know all about the differences between the Pentium M and the Celeron M. The point is, the differences don't mean squat at a performance standpoint when both processors are running at the same speed. The Celeron M 1.5 GHz is just as fast as the Pentium M 1.5 GHz. Now, if you want something faster than that, you have no choice but to buy pentium M as the Celeron M is not offered at any higher speeds, but as I already stated, the Celeron M will easily overclock, on stock voltage, to the 533 bus, allowing it to once again be competitive with the Pentium M in a clock-for-clock basis up to 2.0 GHz. Not too shabby. 8)

The arguement made by another poster about having the laptop support the 533 fsb is pretty much baseless, as nearly 99% of all current laptops that came from the factory with a Dothan-based Celeron M are using AT LEAST an Intel 915 chipset, which of course has native support for 533 bus. The pin mod is pretty much the only way to overclock most laptops, but if you can't pin mod, I pretty much don't respect your "skillz" as a genuine hardware tweaker.

Once again, if this guy is looking for max battery and wants to go with intel, then the pentium M is the clear winner. If he's looking to only use the laptop for a year or two and then dump it, once again go for the Pentium M, as the resale is much stronger. The same goes if the guy needs the absolute fastest Intel M chip, and doubly so if the guy does not want to have to deal with the fussing around involved in pin modding. In these scenerios the Pentium M is the ideal choice. However, if this guy just needs a decently performing laptop, and if a battery life of 2-3 hrs is acceptable, then I would not hesitate to recommend the Celeron M.
April 6, 2006 11:48:29 PM

HEY IM IN THE SAME BOAT. I JUST BOUGHT A DELL 1705 NOTEBOOK WITH THE 2 GHZ DUO CORE. BUT NOW IM LOOKING AT THE XPS DELL 170 WITH THE 7800GTX CARD. I CAN GET THE XPS UNIT FOR THE SAME PRICE I GOT THIS FOR. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? SHOULD I STICK TO WHAT I GOT OR JUST SWITCH

yahoo/aim= y2k6669
April 6, 2006 11:57:02 PM

Quote:
yahoo/aim= y2k6669

You forgot to put those in all caps.
April 7, 2006 12:10:22 AM

Grimmy can you help me out or someone. I need to understand what is better
April 7, 2006 12:14:49 AM

Quote:
I have a friend who is looking for a laptop for uni, and as far as my experiance goes, intel are the ones for laptops, even though it pains me to say it. So whats what as far as intel CPU's? Whats better, celeron or centrino?

Don't worry about the CPU. Both the Turion and Pentium-m are good. better get feature like lot of USB port, keyboard/mouse port, video out port, more RAM, DVDRW, bigger HDD,..

I have an Acer with a Turion 1.6 while a friend has it with the P-M. and on a basic usage.. I still have to find a reason about which one is better.. apart from the price.
April 7, 2006 12:18:04 AM

WHat about my situation? Keep the duo or go for the xps
April 7, 2006 12:19:20 AM

Quote:
yahoo/aim= y2k6669

You forgot to put those in all caps.
:lol: 
I think theyre trying the forum equivalent of shouting to get attention
April 7, 2006 12:22:02 AM

Quote:
WHat about my situation? Keep the duo or go for the xps

Well, if you think the better video will be more useful to you,m then get it, otherwise, keep what you have..

You know better than me about what you need...
April 7, 2006 12:24:41 AM

Well the XPS has 6 usb along with 6 firewire slot. XPS has the upgraded video card 7800gtx. But since the XPS came down in price I can still take back my current laptop to dell and get the XPS instead for the same price. This unit only has 1 firewire, 6 usb, and a 4 in 1 card reader. Other then that the main difference is in the cpu.
April 7, 2006 12:32:35 AM

which one better fits YOUR needs?? get that one.. My laptop is used for some light work, internet stuff or watching movies.. And from that, 95% of the time, the CPU is running at 800MHZ.. so to me, CPU don't really matter as much as feature such as wide screen, dvdrw, bigger hdd.. see the point?

Biggest mistake peoples do is to get the best specs.. while it may looks nice, if it don't fit their needs, it worth nothing. If you were to play game, but get the DUO, because the CPU seems cool, but the video engine is crap, you'll be disapointed. If your laptop is going to be used as for video editing or scientific calculation with specialized software, and you find the 7800gtx a nice thing, but forget about HDD or CPU, you won't be happy anyway..
April 7, 2006 12:37:13 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. I got a 60gb 7200 rpm HD, 1 gig of ram, the new bluetooth 2.0, 17 in high quality screen with truelife. I can get the same in the XPS. I guess the thing that is lacking is the video card in this 1705 machine from dell. When this machine came out it had the 7800 card in it, then it changed to a ati 1400 card (256mb with hypermemory). I guess the cpu i have is a nice one. But im just wondering if all in all would it be wise to switch the cpu for the best video card? The 2ghz are the same in both models, except I wouldnt have a duo core. So I dunno if i would see an improvement in others. But I do dvd editing, music, etc... I just use my laptop as my desktop replacement.
April 7, 2006 12:45:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts. I got a 60gb 7200 rpm HD, 1 gig of ram, the new bluetooth 2.0, 17 in high quality screen with truelife. I can get the same in the XPS. I guess the thing that is lacking is the video card in this 1705 machine from dell. When this machine came out it had the 7800 card in it, then it changed to a ati 1400 card (256mb with hypermemory). I guess the cpu i have is a nice one. But im just wondering if all in all would it be wise to switch the cpu for the best video card? The 2ghz are the same in both models, except I wouldnt have a duo core. So I dunno if i would see an improvement in others. But I do dvd editing, music, etc... I just use my laptop as my desktop replacement.

If you game, you are better with the video than the CPU. dvd editing is not a demanding task, only the compilation. Or you are talking about dvd ripping, or video editing. It is just a matter to see what you do the more. if your cpu is mostly running idle or with low usage, then you may be better with the best video for game. But if you don't game, then a fast video won't really speed up anything else..
!