fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Publicly it was a 'business decision' - apparently to apply economies of scale and only need 1 mobo across the whole LPUT line.

Personally I think it was because they found out about the chip mod mod to make the non-sli chip sli. nVidia took care of that 'problem' though with a driver change to detect it, and I'd guess the newest chip revision doesn't have that mod, at least on the surface

Mike.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG what a dufus!

Did you not realize...people were using two graphics cards, to get four displays, long before SLI existed?

Of course you can also modify the non-SLI chipset to support SLI, but that's probably too advanced for you.

pat

Expert
OMG what a dufus!

Did you not realize...people were using two graphics cards, to get four displays, long before SLI existed?

Of course you can also modify the non-SLI chipset to support SLI, but that's probably too advanced for you.

8O

So SLI wasn't always there???

long time no post Crash!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know, Pat, people keep asking "Can I use an SLI board and two cards to get four displays" and everyone's like "Why would you want to do that? You need an SLI board to get SLI" Grrr, set them straight about running multiple displays and the possibility of using independant cards with SLI and Crossfire boards (as well as DFI's mutant board).

pat

Expert
I know all that. But wait..that will be worst when Crossfire will be better establish, and that some chipset, that are not Ati or Nvidia will start to support one, or the other, or both, but sometime none...

TRENDING THREADS