Newbie Networker Needs Advice...

Sam_P

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
First of all, thanks for putting up with an absolute newb question.

I know as much about networking as I do about brain surgery (ie nothing).

I currently have 2 computers hooked up to my DSL connection through the use of a hub. This is downstairs in my study. I am planning on getting an additional computer upstairs in a bedroom, and it appears that wireless will be a possible solution. However, having read the THG How-To regarding wireless optimization, I'm starting to wonder if I will get a signal at all. The bedroom is almost directly above the study, but between them is a concrete floor, with heating elements built in that are probably made of metal.

Will I even get a signal? I hope to use the bedroom computer for gaming, so bandwidth is kinda important.

If I should just forget about wireless, does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks for any help you may give.

Sam

Sam_P

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
I did try it with a wireless phone. I'm not exactly sure its 2.4GHz, but I certainly got a decent signal. Calls had a tiny bit of static in them, but it was still pretty clear.

Do you think wireless internet should be ok?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
it would have to be 2.4ghz for a decent test. The lower the frequency, the better ability to travel through stuff...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
If you want to go wired, I'd strongly recommend you go get a router with a 4 port switch to replace your hub. This would enable all of your computers to use the internet AT THE SAME TIME. If you want to go wireless on the computer upstaris, get a router with a 4 power swithch that has wireless connection, for the internet, 802.11b would be fine. For something more demanding, try the 802.11g, which is 54mps, while the 802.11b is 11mps. A standard network line is 100mps. However, in either of those connections, the actually speed is slower than the rated speed.